How are you guys handling yourselves in strange circumstances off the grid?

Piha

No! Do not buy into this fearmongering. It is propagated by Fox News and other sources. Americans in the Midwest and south are co-opted by propaganda and fear. Disregard it mostly, especially if you are travelling west of the rockies.

That's what I thought.

In the UK/Europe theist majority of murders are by people known to the victim, I assume it is the same in the USoA? If this is the case then these perceived threats are no more than fantasy.

gkieser92

On the money..... which is why I do not carry a gun which can only escalate a bad situation.
Unless the guy is psychotic, this..."Be friendly, look them in the eye, don't be threatening or aggressive" works everytime... heck works even if they are psychotic..... guns only work if you pull the trigger first.
A gun only escalates a situation if the other person knows you have it. That's why I never open carry, even in the backcountry. De-escalation is always preferred, but it is far from a 100% solution. In my experience it's a 50% solution, along with 49% avoidance and 1% using deterrence to end a tense situation. In that 1%, deterrence was the only thing that would have kept things safe. Personal security is very layered, but a firearm/weapon/unarmed self defense is the very last layer. It should be a part of your plan within the confines of the law, your personal mindset and skill set. But that said, situational awareness is so much easier in remote areas than in urban areas. Less people, less noise, more visibility, etc. are to your advantage. The fact is in remote areas, the only people who are there are the ones who took the time and effort to be there. Very few predators are going to waste the resources to travel to an area with few targets. The downside is if something does go down, you may be on your own for several hours, if you can call for help at all. But that goes for anything that could go wrong, so you are already accepting that reality. In fact, that reality is why a lot of use choose this hobby.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I've been an outdoorsman most of my life and have come across some sketchy people while exploring along the west coast. It ranges from people cooking meth,growers (sometimes cartel) protecting their crops,to homeless addicts. Whether in the rig,on motorcycle,or in the boat I generally keep it moving and that has worked however I've heard stories of guys getting followed or chased back to camp and toyed with at night. Is there a database of areas with known issues yet perhaps?

Not here to spread fear but hopefully open the discussion as to what you have all experienced and how you're approaching or protecting yourselves and family.
Are you Nor cal-> up thru Oregon Washington?
It helps knowing the most active times of the yr regarding illegal grow activity. Early spring the indentured servant’s are fresh and jumpy at new to them locations also likely still very unhappy about family members being basically held as leverage till a crop is harvested. They might calm down some and be less jumpy as they get accustomed to the area. But by August-October they go back into hyper jumpy mode as harvest time nears. Plus cartel enforcer’s tend to show up and be there to “protect” and monitor the crop as we get into August tome frame.
In general you just stay out of the places that are known hot spots. If you get the weird vibe, gtfo and move farther than a few miles down the road. Don’t think your going to be a bad ******** with your one man hobby collection of hardware. The game wardens don’t go full tactical face paint dark mode in those regions for giggles.

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Older book but if you want a cool read by a CA Game Warden “War in the Woods” great read and you’ll learn some about signs to look for. BTW even in the SF Bay Area hills we have serious illegal grow issues. Couple yrs ago we had National Guard helicopters, full on cammo face paint guys getting dropped off right behind our house. Big grow op bust.

gkieser92

As someone that lives in the UK and travelled widely throughout my country, Europe, Asia and beyond, some of the above posts appear quite alarming!

Do average Americans really believe it is necessary to carry a side arm for protection when they venture out into the countryside? Are the woods really awash with ne'er-do-well types that want to attack you in the middle of the night? Are there really meth heads, stoners & alcoholics at every campsite starring you out?
I'm alarmed that you are alarmed! Just kidding. No, there are not bad guys in every camp site. The woods are very safe. I typically carry a small pistol, concealed, quite often. That may sound alarming to some, but it is remarkably no big deal. I only carry where legal, which happens to be most places I frequent. It's not inconvenient, because it's small, light, and almost as routine to carry as my wallet and keys. It does not affect my interactions with others, because it is concealed. It doesn't change my mindset, because whether I had it or not I would still be respectful in in my interactions, and would be just as determined to protect myself and my family whether I had it or not. In fact, if anything I am more avoidant of trouble with it on. I live a very normal suburban dad life, and I work in a field where I teach empathy and de-esescalation. Carrying a pistol is a logical decision for me, though. I know that if myself or my family were, as unlikely as it its, to be threatened with lethal or grevieous injury, I would no question fight to the death to protect them. Once I had that conclusion, it is only logical to choose tools to help me accomplish that. I have taken training on the firearm, as well as first aid, some marital arts and stay as fit as possible. I'd say I'm pretty average, but the average doesn't make the news.

leftcoastal

Are you Nor cal-> up thru Oregon Washington?
It helps knowing the most active times of the yr regarding illegal grow activity. Early spring the indentured servant’s are fresh and jumpy at new to them locations also likely still very unhappy about family members being basically held as leverage till a crop is harvested. They might calm down some and be less jumpy as they get accustomed to the area. But by August-October they go back into hyper jumpy mode as harvest time nears. Plus cartel enforcer’s tend to show up and be there to “protect” and monitor the crop as we get into August tome frame.
In general you just stay out of the places that are known hot spots. If you get the weird vibe, gtfo and move farther than a few miles down the road. Don’t think your going to be a bad ******** with your one man hobby collection of hardware. The game wardens don’t go full tactical face paint dark mode in those regions for giggles.

I lived throughout SF/Berkeley/Oakland. Avid fishermen north up to Shasta,Delta,and east into the Motherlode reservoirs. I now live at the base of the Olympics.

The biologists I've fished with all worked throughout the Golden Triangle so as you can imagine there are quite a few stories. This area is the exception to the rule I know. I've had two good buddies get shot on different occasions, both were unprovoked. The real friction is in the cities which is in part why I moved out of the bay and Seattle more recently.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I lived throughout SF/Berkeley/Oakland. Avid fishermen north up to Shasta,Delta,and east into the Motherlode reservoirs. I now live at the base of the Olympics.

The biologists I've fished with all worked throughout the Golden Triangle so as you can imagine there are quite a few stories. This area is the exception to the rule I know. I've had two good buddies get shot on different occasions, both were unprovoked. The real friction is in the cities which is in part why I moved out of the bay and Seattle more recently.
On the water last 10 yrs or so you need to be wary of poachers also. They can get jumpy if they think your watching their take. Huge issue up and down the west coast. Really just like anywhere keeping your wits aboutcha and trusting your creeper spider sense and just moving on is best.

calicamper

Expedition Leader

Power grid buddy wears a flack jacket when checking power towers via air in that region. Its really no joke. Lol

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I think if I ever encounter a threat in the wild, be it human or animal, I will just crap myself.

I don't think any creature will want anything to do with me once the rancid odor hits their nostrils.

rruff

Explorer
Carrying a pistol is a logical decision for me, though. I know that if myself or my family were, as unlikely as it its, to be threatened with lethal or grevieous injury, I would no question fight to the death to protect them. Once I had that conclusion, it is only logical to choose tools to help me accomplish that.

That's the logic that results in high gun ownership for sure. No one wants to be helpless or defenseless in that situation. But if you really think it through... at what point do you decide that you or your family are threatened with "lethal or grievous injury"? You can't wait until someone is an *actual* threat, because then it's too late. You need to get the jump on them! Which means you behave in a very preemptive manner, greeting anyone you meet with your gun pointed at them, until you determine it's safe.

Apparently many people I've encountered have figured this out... which is why I've had guns pointed at me on numerous occasions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles