How are you guys handling yourselves in strange circumstances off the grid?

Piha

As someone that lives in the UK and travelled widely throughout my country, Europe, Asia and beyond, some of the above posts appear quite alarming!

Do average Americans really believe it is necessary to carry a side arm for protection when they venture out into the countryside? Are the woods really awash with ne'er-do-well types that want to attack you in the middle of the night? Are there really meth heads, stoners & alcoholics at every campsite starring you out?

38snubby

As someone that lives in the UK and travelled widely throughout my country, Europe, Asia and beyond, some of the above posts appear quite alarming!

Do average Americans really believe it is necessary to carry a side arm for protection when they venture out into the countryside? Are the woods really awash with ne'er-do-well types that want to attack you in the middle of the night? Are there really meth heads, stoners & alcoholics at every campsite starring you out?

No! Do not buy into this fearmongering. It is propagated by Fox News and other sources. Americans in the Midwest and south are co-opted by propaganda and fear. Disregard it mostly, especially if you are travelling west of the rockies.

pith helmet

I’ve never had any real issues. I have come up on weed patches and homeless camps while working , but not much excitement camping. I try to stay aware of my surroundings, and don’t stay anywhere that doesn’t feel right for any reason. I’ll explore around an area a little before I stay, kind of the outdoor version of looking for monsters under the bed.
I also carry in my vehicle, out of sight but in easy reach moved to where I sleep at night, along with a flashlight that would temporarily blind someone.
Guns are not the deterrent, bullets are. Never bring out a gun unless it’s time to pull the trigger, which is hopefully never ever. I also tend to travel in states that I can legally do so.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
FWIW:
Have a plan. Practice the plan. Otherwise, if a problem occurs you won't have a plan. And. Listen to your Lizard Brain. If it tells you things ain't right, move on. Got stories from both sides of the badge. Not everyone is a jerk, most are just scared. Be safe.

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
Do average Americans really believe it is necessary to carry a side arm for protection when they venture out into the countryside?
In 55 years of backpacking, sometimes in very remote wilderness areas, I have had to use my handgun 3 times. Twice to dispatch a rabid animal that got too interested in me and my dog. They were immune to pain so I don't think pepper spray would phase them. Most city folks and Europeans don't realize how far from help you can wander in some places in the US.

If you plan on using anything for self defense (firearm, sharp or blunt instrument, chemical spray) it would be well worth your time to take a self defense class that teaches you about when you can and cannot brandish/use it.

leftcoastal

Every campsite? Is that how you distilled this thread?

rruff

Explorer

A culture of fear and paranoia and anger has been drilled into our brains (and "lizard brains"). If you go around with that attitude, you feel/see threats everywhere. Everyone has guns for "safety", and of course you need to have it loaded and ready just in case. When two people (or groups of people) are both paranoid with guns drawn, minor encounters can quickly escalate. Based on my experienced and the testimony of others, I'd guess there is about a 99 to 1 ratio of paranoia resulting in incidents (or perceived incidents) vs direct assaults.

But yes, average Americans do believe it's scary out there. It's a good example of how belief shapes a person's experience of life and their actions.

I pack no guns, knives, but do have a can wasp spray in the Van -sprays 20 feet
It's legal in all states.

That prompted me to do some "internet research". Wasp spray is a neurotoxin that can permanently blind a person and mess them up big time if they get a large enough dose, but it is not fast acting and won't stop a determined attack. Pepper spray really doesn't either, but...

It is also not legal in *any* state, as it's a violation of federal law to use it against a person. This leaves you open to criminal and civil lawsuits if you are trigger-happy. I think a gun would be a better choice if you really feel the need for something, or just get some good pepper spray.

ADMIN REMOVED COMMENT THAT WAS POLITICAL

OllieChristopher

Over the years I make sure I'm in a spot that is very difficult to access. Never ever go off grid with a towable or RV. One way in one way out with vehicle. On high ground. If you are having strange experiences with other humans then you are not truly off grid.

Choff

Adventurer
A culture of fear and paranoia and anger has been drilled into our brains (and "lizard brains"). If you go around with that attitude, you feel/see threats everywhere. Everyone has guns for "safety", and of course you need to have it loaded and ready just in case. When two people (or groups of people) are both paranoid with guns drawn, minor encounters can quickly escalate. Based on my experienced and the testimony of others, I'd guess there is about a 99 to 1 ratio of paranoia resulting in incidents (or perceived incidents) vs direct assaults.

But yes, average Americans do believe it's scary out there. It's a good example of how belief shapes a person's experience of life and their actions.

That prompted me to do some "internet research". Wasp spray is a neurotoxin that can permanently blind a person and mess them up big time if they get a large enough dose, but it is not fast acting and won't stop a determined attack. Pepper spray really doesn't either, but...

It is also not legal in *any* state, as it's a violation of federal law to use it against a person. This leaves you open to criminal and civil lawsuits if you are trigger-happy. I think a gun would be a better choice if you really feel the need for something, or just get some good pepper spray.

The bogus left vs right dichotomy is what's burning down America...
Ok
Then Instead of wasp spray I will use Pepper Blaster 2, sold in large sports stores
That will stop them without lawsuits

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles