How are you guys handling yourselves in strange circumstances off the grid?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I agree that in the US we rely too heavily on the "stick". I credit most of our large drop in crime rates (<50% what it was in the early 90s), with increased police profiling and harassment... and incarceration. I have mixed feelings about it though, because I've been the target of that several times, and it really sucks. But it is effective.

The "carrot" part would be a socio-economic system where it wasn't so damn hard for a guy low on the spectrum of intelligence, skill/talent, good looks, good upbringing, etc to make a life that any of us would call decent. We actually had this when I was a kid, so it's not like this is some sort of impossible dream. Currently nearly every developed country in the world is doing a much better job on this side as well.
Most developed countries do not take in as many people as the US. Again thats not a direct cause its a factor. The HS kid that started a legitimate hauling business in my town is competing with people who often don’t even hold a legal drivers license and are dumping debri and trash on our county roads vs taking it to the dump. My county has a 4 million dollar illegal dumping budget and a office with 8 full time paid office workers tasked to this.

Enforcement is piss poor, those caught are only the dumper not the hiring person. If you could get busted for illegal dumping as someone who hired out the problem things would change pretty fast.

Grassland

I live in a miserable dumpster of a city that's isolated from any other large urban centers. The farther you go from this cess pool, the safer you are.
It's no guarantee of course, but one of the reasons I like camping and being outdoors away from the only major city in my province.
I've been assaulted and had to use force in town, been threatened with violence in the campground closest to town (by drunk late teens while I was similar age)
And as I get further from the black hole I live in, the violence lessens. Our favorite campground I've only heard yelling and witnessed some bravado.
In the bush I've never come across a raised voice.
Less meth in the woods, probably a big part of that, and less "up country de gens" on am afternoon trip looking nfor trouble.

I'd love the plan where the world is drastically depopulated of people, if I weren't in the demographic that's on the remove list.

ThundahBeagle

So, on a more serious note (from the inter web):

(I don’t know that I’d agree with the ammonia idea, as that smells like skunks and sometimes a really hungry bear will kill and eat a skunk)
  • Neem oil seems to contain something that bears don’t like.
  • Bears don’t like the smell of anything that has a pine scent. Use pine sol or pine oil to repel bears. If you’re using pine sol then mix 1 cup pine sol with 1 cup of water inside a spray bottle. If you’re using pure pine oil as a bear repellent then mix 6 to 8 drops of pine oil to every cup of botter you have inside a spray bottle.
  • Spray the prepared pine oil solution inside your garbage, spray it on a cloth attached to your backpack and place a sprayed cloth near your food, and also spread some solution outside your tent.
  • Soak a cloth in cider vinegar or ammonia and hung it on the windows and doors of your tent, RV, car, etc.
  • The smell of Lysol also repels bears.

Neem oil...ok. so, clear up my acne, baldness AND keep bears away. Couldn't get much more beneficial than that. Well, it could, but this is a family show.

Photobug

I too struggle with this conundrum, growing up in an NRA home loaded for bear, then losing all the guns in a fire at around 20 years old. I somehow managed to live in scary cities and be in scary neighborhoods, yet survive being unarmed. I am now again in my 50s a gun owner and a CCW owner. I feel very secure in my home before owning guns but now have to secure my home for the first time (used to not lock the doors) to a new level because there are guns in it.

I feel the same way about carrying while traveling, I feel there are times and places being armed could come in handy but also carrying a firearm poses a huge liability. I am responsible for this firearm at all times whether on me or not. I have only carried traveling once and found it a hassle. I have invested in some BB and pellet guns so we can enjoy plinking safely from the back of the van.

I was listening to comedian Bill Burr on Netflix Is A Joke radio. He cracked me up when he said 'All you really need is a BB gun for home defense. You shoot someone with that and at a BARE-MINIMUM they have to go back outside and regroup. You shoot them in the elbow and it's all over!'

doug720

Expedition Leader
I like to go explore and camp with our dogs alone. Sometimes you come across weird things in the middle of nowhere that makes me glad to have a firearm with me.

I found this over the hill from where I camped the night before. It is in the Northwest Mojave...Needless to say, I camped a long ways away that night!

Attachments

• P1100155.JPG
    P1100155.JPG
    164.8 KB · Views: 99
  • P1100245.JPG
    P1100245.JPG
    163.7 KB · Views: 94
  • P1100246.JPG
    P1100246.JPG
    157.7 KB · Views: 94
  • P1100247.JPG
    P1100247.JPG
    158.5 KB · Views: 89

dstefan

I too struggle with this conundrum, growing up in an NRA home loaded for bear, then losing all the guns in a fire at around 20 years old. I somehow managed to live in scary cities and be in scary neighborhoods, yet survive being unarmed. I am now again in my 50s a gun owner and a CCW owner. I feel very secure in my home before owning guns but now have to secure my home for the first time (used to not lock the doors) to a new level because there are guns in it.

I feel the same way about carrying while traveling, I feel there are times and places being armed could come in handy but also carrying a firearm poses a huge liability. I am responsible for this firearm at all times whether on me or not. I have only carried traveling once and found it a hassle. I have invested in some BB and pellet guns so we can enjoy plinking safely from the back of the van.
This is exactly what’s kept me from getting a pistol. I’m not at all anti-gun -grew up with them around and know how and like to shoot. I’ve just never felt threatened while in the backcountry, but know that can happen. I sort of feel like I should be carrying, but just can’t quite get over the hump.

stevo_pct

This is exactly what’s kept me from getting a pistol. I’m not at all anti-gun -grew up with them around and know how and like to shoot. I’ve just never felt threatened while in the backcountry, but know that can happen. I sort of feel like I should be carrying, but just can’t quite get over the hump.

Same, I have always been familiar with firearms and grew up shooting and hunting. I never used to carry in the backcountry because I have never felt threatened and I have always been solo. It's very unlikely someone is going to rape me or anything like that. Worst case scenario I would get robbed and beat up a little. And even that was not likely as I'd just run away and I have always been way more fit than most (so I doubt anyone would have been able to catch me).

But now that I'm a bit older and have an artificial hip and a girlfriend who travels with me, I don't have the option of running away. If a group of weirdos comes into our camp and wants to mess with my girl, I want to be able to protect the two of us. Not likely, but it happens.

Also, I travel in grizzly country a lot more now, so that helped to change my mind. I always have a pistol with me now.

dstefan

But now that I'm a bit older and have an artificial hip and a girlfriend who travels with me, I don't have the option of running away. If a group of weirdos comes into our camp and wants to mess with my girl, I want to be able to protect the two of us. Not likely, but it happens.

Also, I travel in grizzly country a lot more now, so that helped to change my mind.

Yep, thats me as well — substitute bad back for your hip and wife for GF. Not around the grizz so much lately, but other citters can rarely be a problem. Rabid ones in particular. Just need to get off my butt and do it, I guess.

rruff

Explorer

That certainly complicates things vs being alone, but I still chose to not carry a weapon. The most dangerous place we visited was Baja, and I couldn't carry there anyway. It always comes back to the need to be preemptive, with a loaded gun out and ready to use. I don't want to greet strangers that way no matter how weird they might be... and in my experience I don't need to. YMMV.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
All over the west and Baja. Only took one trip east of the rockies.
I have well over 100 San Ysidro/TJ crossings. The sooner you can get out of that area the better. South of El Rosario on the west side is where it starts. Very kind and resourceful people. I used to carry a bow saw behind the seat. I haven't been down since 2007. The Colonet area where my lot is was seeing the meth invasion. The little ones that used come by the camp for dulces had moved on to a deadly vice.

Last edited:

stevo_pct

That certainly complicates things vs being alone, but I still chose to not carry a weapon. The most dangerous place we visited was Baja, and I couldn't carry there anyway. It always comes back to the need to be preemptive, with a loaded gun out and ready to use. I don't want to greet strangers that way no matter how weird they might be... and in my experience I don't need to. YMMV.

I don't greet anyone that way. It's in my truck and easy to access if I ever need it. Or in my tent at night. If I'm in grizz country I'll carry it in a chest holster but that's the only time I have it on my person where another person would see it if I greet them. In grizz county, I don't think that bothers anyone - I see plenty of people carrying in the backcountry in Montana.

rruff

Explorer
I don't greet anyone that way. It's in my truck and easy to access if I ever need it. Or in my tent at night.

The "thought experiment" that led to me getting rid of the gun, was that anyone who truly meant me harm would be armed and get the drop on me... *unless* I greeted them with my loaded gun in my hand. Pulling out my gun later would be stupid. If someone is pointing a gun at me and wants to steal my stuff, then they can have it. No worries man... I'm not getting in a gun fight over that.

Maybe the difference is that I'm not afraid anyway... and completely vulnerable at the same time. I greet everyone as a friend no matter how freaky they look or act, and it's always turned out fine. Plenty have had guns out and ready to use... because they wondered if I was a threat. The last thing I'd want to do in those situations is pull out a gun.

I don't hang out in grizzly territory very often. I can see how having a gun might be useful then, but probably less effective than other measures... and I'm not thinking of spray.

I'm totally fine with people having guns if they feel the need though. All the crooks have them, so why not....

stevo_pct

The "thought experiment" that led to me getting rid of the gun, was that anyone who truly meant me harm would be armed and get the drop on me... *unless* I greeted them with my loaded gun in my hand. Pulling out my gun later would be stupid. If someone is pointing a gun at me and wants to steal my stuff, then they can have it. No worries man... I'm not getting in a gun fight over that.

Maybe the difference is that I'm not afraid anyway... and completely vulnerable at the same time. I greet everyone as a friend no matter how freaky they look or act, and it's always turned out fine. Plenty have had guns out and ready to use... because they wondered if I was a threat. The last thing I'd want to do in those situations is pull out a gun.

I don't hang out in grizzly territory very often. I can see how having a gun might be useful then, but probably less effective than other measures... and I'm not thinking of spray.

I'm totally fine with people having guns if they feel the need though. All the crooks have them, so why not....

I hear you, if someone rolls into my camp guns a blazing, they're going to do what they want. I'm not going to get in a gunfight either.

Photobug

I don't greet anyone that way. It's in my truck and easy to access if I ever need it. Or in my tent at night. If I'm in grizz country I'll carry it in a chest holster but that's the only time I have it on my person where another person would see it if I greet them. In grizz county, I don't think that bothers anyone - I see plenty of people carrying in the backcountry in Montana.

What do you carry in Griz Country? I am afraid my 9mm would just piss them off even more than just being born Grizzly. I live in Griz Country and saw signs on recent adventures. I keep my bear spray handy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94