How are those newer Tacos working out?

Clutch

<---Pass
That's the ticket. Ultimate versatility. I'd even be ok with a small open trailer.

That is what I have now. Love the Nest...but it isn’t the best in the cold and rain...setup while easy, but still a little fussy. Guess I could just simply get a shell FWC or ATC for my current truck. Afraid I’ll max it out weight wise. Feel like I am pushing its’ comfort zone already.

That isn’t a bad price for the rental fee. Be a good way to go to see if you really want that type of setup.

I like the new Transits too, really too bad they don’t come 4WD from the factory. Just can’t see spending $13-15K on the conversion. That and if you do a camper conversion. You’re kinda stuck with it. Can’t separate it if/when it comes time to sell like a truck/camper combo.

E307D51C-04D7-4956-9144-96C67F93AAB9.jpeg

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
That isn’t a bad price for the rental fee. Be a good way to go to see if you really want that type of setup.

I like the new Transits too, really too bad they don’t come 4WD from the factory. Just can’t see spending $13-15K on the conversion. That and if you do a camper conversion. You’re kinda stuck with it. Can’t separate it if/when it comes time to sell like a truck/camper combo.

View attachment 479090

Yeah, those vans are cool and all. But worthless 90% of the year except take driveway space. Even the 4WD conversion isn't all it's quacked up to be, it seems. It always looks like they're off-roading in a barn.

Clutch

<---Pass
Yeah, those vans are cool and all. But worthless 90% of the year except take driveway space. Even the 4WD conversion isn't all it's quacked up to be, it seems. It always looks like they're off-roading in a barn.

The van thing is from me owning a VW Westy for 8 years...Transit would be a modern version of it, however...

...was reading up on them. Couple things that are questionable. Not sure I see them holding up for the long term.

Like the rubber coupler off the trans is one of many...the Transit forum has a list. Bunch of piddly crap that would drive me nuts, especially coming from Toyotas. Mine didn't start nickel and diming me until after 250K.

This is off Transit with only 45K on it.

IMG_20150522_1307064571_zps3nmnwxed.jpg

Last edited:

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I'd imagine it's just under the truck. I'd figure something out. Get something fabbed up. That's the other thing about a trailer. I have to now worry about another axle or two (2-4 more tires). That and the MPG @ITTOG mentioned above.

If you're running a 35" or smaller tire then you're fine, but these 37's don't fit under there.

I plan to run one spare for my trailer, I already run one for my truck. Luckily the truck and trailer run the same size tires and bolt pattern wheels albeit slightly different offsets/backspace. So in theory, if push came to shove and I had a flat on both the truck and trailer I'd be covered, but if I had multiples on the truck I could scavenge some from the trailer and if need be I could ditch the trailer in order to get back to civilization and handle the situation and then return later for the trailer.

Trailers are an added liability and they do hinder your capabilities and fuel economy and even more so should you wheel with them attached full time. On the flip side, they allow you to keep less weight on the vehicle itself making it a better handling and more capable trail tool. I like that having a built out trailer allows you too keep your truck/SUV streamlined and focused on being reliable and capable and not tasked with being a pack mule required to carry the full load wherever it goes. Dropping the trailer at camp and then heading off to explore for the day is fantastic, but for those that are traveling long term and with no daily agenda in mind (no out and backs or weekend trips) that system doesn't work. They store easily and usually are easy to resale.

Van conversions are expensive and they lack capable/durable 4WD systems (Econoline SAS rigs excluded). They are noisy, suck in the wind, and the newer versions have an awful unibody frame design. The ability to be in your rig ready to eat/sleep/******** the moment you arrive at camp is second to none. This is likely the most expensive and most specific option one can choose. It has its place no doubt (stealth capabilities), but I think they are over romanticized and over priced.

Trucks with a pop-up camper/slide-in camper/topper shell. These are extremely appealing to the masses because they don't take much away from he capabilities of your vehicle aside from handling dynamics at speed and in off-camber situations when off-road. They are fast to deploy, require very little setup and take-down and most can be easily removed when not needed leaving your truck in stock form and more usable as a daily driver when not needed in off-road travel mode. They aren't cheap, reduce your overhead clearance, most tend to be not all that durable, and resale is usually abysmal.

At the end of the day there is no perfect solution, every avenue has its pro's and con's. What you have to decide is A) What do you absolutely/positively need from your setup B) What are your deal breakers and C) What is your budget? Answering those questions honestly should lead you to the right choice for "your" needs.

roving1

The van thing is from me owning a VW Westy for 8 years...Transit would be a modern version of it, however...

...was reading up on them. Couple things that are questionable. Not sure I see them holding up for the long term.

Like the rubber coupler off the trans is one of many...the Transit forum has a list. Bunch of piddly crap that would drive me nuts, especially coming from Toyotas. Mine didn't start nickel and diming me until after 250K.

This is off Transit with only 45K on it.

IMG_20150522_1307064571_zps3nmnwxed.jpg

They use essentially a rag joint for a propshaft? Yuck!

Clutch

<---Pass
They use essentially a rag joint for a propshaft? Yuck!

Yeah there are some things that are questionable...kinda lost my desire for one after reading up on them.

It is a poorly built vehicle. Makes me wonder about the new Ranger coming out, where did Ford cut corners on it?

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
Not only that, but even with 4wd, it would frustrate me to no end having to navigate through mild fire roads. Impressive this Sprinter got through some of the spots. For a Van. Sure got the guy’s heart pumping. With any truck, it’d be a non-event.

Clutch

<---Pass
Not only that, but even with 4wd, it would frustrate me to no end having to navigate through mild fire roads. Impressive this Sprinter got through some of the spots. For a Van. Sure got the guy’s heart pumping. With any truck, it’d be a non-event.

With the Tacoma you really don't even think about, just walks right through stuff with minimal effort. Recently had mine on a road that was about the width for UTV's with a bunch of whoop-de-doos. Went through it like it was nothing.

As much as I hate E-Series vans, would be the best platform to go if you're going the van route and plan to run it in the dirt.

Think I'll stick to trucks. Always liked driving them over vans anyways.

Telling you Phsycle....a trailer is the way to go... ;):p

44439541_10156770136805365_8583127030181134336_n.jpg

Last edited:

Tex68w

Beach Bum
As much as I hate E-Series vans, would be the best platform to go if you're going the van route and plan to run it in the dirt.

IMHO, if you plan to do anything more than drive down gravel roads and go to trail heads via maintained park/Jeep/fire roads, I wouldn’t consider any other van. The E-Series is the only one that is truly off-road capable. Sadly they are no longer in production and they haven’t made them with a diesel in a decade. This means you’re buying and/or converting a used van that’s already four years old at best. They also happen to be the smallest of all the vans with the most limiting space and noisiest of cockpits as well.

I’ve day dreamed about a Sprinter for a few years now and the more I think about it and read up on them the less appealing they become. In the end a full-size truck with a habitat or pop-up/slide-in camper is likely the most capable and versatile option if you truly plan to use it off-road exploring/traveling.

Clutch

<---Pass
IMHO, if you plan to do anything more than drive down gravel roads and go to trail heads via maintained park/Jeep/fire roads, I wouldn’t consider any other van. The E-Series is the only one that is truly off-road capable. Sadly they are no longer in production and they haven’t made them with a diesel in a decade. This means you’re buying and/or converting a used van that’s already four years old at best. They also happen to be the smallest of all the vans with the most limiting space and noisiest of cockpits as well.

I’ve day dreamed about a Sprinter for a few years now and the more I think about it and read up on them the less appealing they become. In the end a full-size truck with a habitat or pop-up/slide-in camper is likely the most capable and versatile option if you truly plan to use it off-road exploring/traveling.

We had a few of the E-Series Vans in our construction fleet, I can't stand driving them...give me a pickup with bedside tool boxes or service body any day of the week over those things.

Year or so ago buddy of mine bought an E-Series up here to convert. I went and test drove for him before he flew up here to get it...all of those memories of those things came flooding back. Oh yeah these things suck to drive.

His did certainly come out cool, Super Duty coil front suspension, sitting on 35's. It is pretty **************, but I think I'll pass.

Only reason I considered a van is the enclosed cargo area to haul dirt bikes. Which that can be accomplished with a trailer, that I don't mind towing. Or build a shell for a truck with an 8' bed. One idea is to have OVRLND Camper build one like this Callen. Get that Ram diesel, manny trans, sitting on 35/37's, enclosed bike hauler/camper all in one package. Wouldn't really break the bank so to speak either. No need to spend $100K....like a flatbed Alaskan, which you can't haul bikes in...the thought of being able to hose out the camper also appeals to me as well. Cause the act of camping, offroad exploring, and riding dirt bikes is an inherently a dirty-filthy-grimy activity. Those luxo campos some people have make little to sense to me.

@phsycle, could haul your quad in my idea. Super versatile, can be used as a normal truck, a camper/bike hauler. Or just a plain ol' camper...haul the toys on a hitch rack or trailer.

IMG_0852_2-L.jpg

IMG_0723-L.jpg

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer

I think the Nissan NV vans could work as well. I’ve seen some nice conversions that seem more trail worthy. But it’s still a very top heavy van.

We had a few of the E-Series Vans in our construction fleet, I can't stand driving them...give me a pickup with bedside tool boxes or service body any day of the week over those things.

Year or so ago buddy of mine bought an E-Series up here to convert. I went and test drove for him before he flew up here to get it...all of those memories of those things came flooding back. Oh yeah these things suck to drive.

His did certainly come out cool, Super Duty coil front suspension, sitting on 35's. It is pretty **************, but I think I'll pass.

Only reason I considered a van is the enclosed cargo area to haul dirt bikes. Which that can be accomplished with a trailer, that I don't mind towing. Or build a shell for a truck with an 8' bed. One idea is to have OVRLND Camper build one like this Callen. Get that Ram diesel, manny trans, sitting on 35/37's, enclosed bike hauler/camper all in one package. Wouldn't really break the bank so to speak either. No need to spend $100K....like a flatbed Alaskan, which you can't haul bikes in...the thought of being able to hose out the camper also appeals to me as well. Cause the act of camping, offroad exploring, and riding dirt bikes is an inherently a dirty-filthy-grimy activity. Those luxo campos some people have make little to sense to me.

@phsycle, could haul your quad in my idea. Super versatile, can be used as a normal truck, a camper/bike hauler. Or just a plain ol' camper...haul the toys on a hitch rack or trailer.

View attachment 479437

View attachment 479438

Now you’re talking. I like that idea. I don’t care to have cupboards, drawers, nooks and crannies for all the JUNK that I’d be coaxed into bringing....because there happens to be storage space. I’d rather just use tote bins from HD, fold away table and chairs, etc if I use it for a camper. Then like a regular truck shell for most of the other times. Gold star idea.

Clutch

<---Pass
I think the Nissan NV vans could work as well. I’ve seen some nice conversions that seem more trail worthy. But it’s still a very top heavy van.

Those wouldn't be bad either, still no factory 4WD though. Paying aftermarket doesn't appeal to this working class stiff.

Now you’re talking. I like that idea. I don’t care to have cupboards, drawers, nooks and crannies for all the JUNK that I’d be coaxed into bringing....because there happens to be storage space. I’d rather just use tote bins from HD, fold away table and chairs, etc if I use it for a camper. Then like a regular truck shell for most of the other times. Gold star idea.

Out of all my hair brain ideas, that one is my favorite so far. Just need a fold away shelf on the one side to set a camp stove on to cook on if it is foul outside and that is pretty much it. Sweet and simple.

Maybe a flat bed version would make it a bit more versatile...but not worth the added cost, imo.

Last edited:

Tex68w

Beach Bum

Have fun with their "always stalling" junky transmissions that Nissan denies there is any issue with.

phsycle

Adventurer
Those wouldn't be bad either, still no factory 4WD though. Paying aftermarket doesn't appeal to this working class stiff.

Out of all my hair brain ideas, that one is my favorite so far. Just need a fold away shelf on the one side to set a camp stove on to cook on if it is foul outside and that is pretty much it. Sweet and simple.

Maybe a flat bed version would make it a bit more versatile...but not worth the added cost, imo.

One question. How would the smell be? Gas, oil, exhaust. Bearable after it airs out?

Flatbed. Aren’t they about $6-7k? That’s not that bad. I’d do it.

Clutch

<---Pass
One question. How would the smell be? Gas, oil, exhaust. Bearable after it airs out?

Flatbed. Aren’t they about $6-7k? That’s not that bad. I’d do it.

Drain the float bowl on the bike(s), keeps any fuel that would of been in there from coming out the vent hoses. FI bikes have very little odor.

Fuel cans for the bikes, the new carb compliant cans are virtually smell free. That said would probably mount jerry cans on the outside of the truck, I generally only take 5 extra gallons for my 3-4 day weekenders. If it is longer trip I'll take 10. There is your swing out spare tire/jerry can solution.

Would also do a roof vent, maybe some side vents towards the roof/front of the camper, and punch a couple small vents in the lower bed of the truck back by the tailgate, just as an extra precaution to push any fumes out while driving.

NoSpill-2-5-Gallon.jpg

Like what they do on trailers.

11-25-11-298.jpg

Yeah, flat bed would be sweet, could have the side open up, which would double as an awning. Regular cab would make sense to me then, since I could open up the side and toss gear bags in. Be great for fussing with the bike tie-downs too.

f193c2ab94c457da5665ec500a336ba4.jpg

Like the hatch on this one, with the pull out drawer...could see a camp stove in that drawer...be the "tailgate" for cooking.
WT-354.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94