How are those newer Tacos working out?

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Flatbed systems like the Patriot OPOR and Norweld stuff is great in theory and use, but I hate that you can't easily convert back to a truck bed and for all intents and purposes you are either stuck with the ute system or a straight up flatbed. I guess running around as a flatbed isn't half bad for everyday use, but just be prepared to tie everything down even if it's just a quick trip across town.

Clutch

<---Pass
Flatbed systems like the Patriot OPOR and Norweld stuff is great in theory and use, but I hate that you can't easily convert back to a truck bed and for all intents and purposes you are either stuck with the ute system or a straight up flatbed. I guess running around as a flatbed isn't half bad for everyday use, but just be prepared to tie everything down even if it's just a quick trip across town.

Would have to have fold down sides for me. Though I can't imagine the camper coming off too much. Have always had camper shells on all of my trucks. Have an utility trailer for stuff I can't put in the truck...Hell of a lot easier to load too.

phsycle

Adventurer
Would have to have fold down sides for me. Though I can't imagine the camper coming off too much. Have always had camper shells on all of my trucks. Have an utility trailer for stuff I can't put in the truck...Hell of a lot easier to load too.

Fold down sides would be a must for me as well. Shouldn't lose any utility over a regular bed. I also like the flat bed for loading the ATV as well.

Clutch

<---Pass
Fold down sides would be a must for me as well. Shouldn't lose any utility over a regular bed. I also like the flat bed for loading the ATV as well.

Ute LTD does have some with taller sides, but I can't see me using anything like. This will be mostly a recreation use truck.

Lotsa flat beds running around here with all the AG, seems like they are preferred over a regular truck bed. We have 4-5 dealers
within a couple miles of the house even. Not surprising since to get to our house from the HWY I have to pass a small stock yard on the way into town.

img-15.jpg

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
I'd have no use for that, but simple standard fold up, like the Ram pictured earlier, would do. I like the ruggedness of it. Tossing crap from the back or side of the bed, without worrying about scratching the paint.

I've been following this thread as many things resonate. I was fortunate enough to retire early two years ago, and was faced with the need to update vehicles for my wife and I. Understand I've driven Toyota trucks since the mid '80's and am still nursing along multiple vehicles from that era. I reached a point where it wasn't practical to stay on top of the inevitable maintenance and repairs, and finding parts, so new vehicle investment was in order.

In the end I made a difficult decision to (gulp) buy a Chevy Colorado diesel. While it isn't the new Tacoma or Tundra that I wanted to talk myself into, it has many similar high-tech features, and the small diesel Duramax motor. The diesel was really the selling point, and I have been very impressed. I truly wish Toyota would have introduced them to the US, like they've had in so many other parts of the world. Initially, the truck seemed like a car and a video game more than a useful truck, but has really grown on me in 30K miles. It will never have the same stout durability of my 60 Series, but has spoiled me with the creature comforts and functionality.

We just completed an 800 mile trip into the Snake River Canyon area of ID in our FJ-60 with RTT. While I completely enjoyed rowing the H55f and all the features I built into the L/C, the truth is we didn't go anywhere that we couldn't have taken the Colorado, and probably would have gotten much better fuel economy and less drama. Maybe it's just my aging, but the RTT wasn't as much fun, and I was glad we had good weather so we didn't have to deal with getting everything wet. The wife and I returned home researching No Boundaries trailers...

My point to this ramble is I've never been able to find any single do-it-all vehicles, and hope I can continue to have the means and energy to keep multiple vehicles for different purposes. New truck technology is great, but seems more directed at "dummying down" the driving process rather than increasing off-road performance or durability, with much more complexity. As I've transitioned to having free time, the nature of our travel interests have changed. The idea of a base camp and spending multiple days exploring an area is now possible and appealing. Our adventures are longer duration but less exteme. Comfort and the simplicity of an enclosed space with heat and a bed is much more appealing, and the hardcore expedition vehicle is becoming less appealing. I'm just an old-guy-in-training, but don't overlook the possibility that your needs and interests will change.

Ramble over...

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Maybe it's just my aging, but the RTT wasn't as much fun, and I was glad we had good weather so we didn't have to deal with getting everything wet. The wife and I returned home researching No Boundaries trailers...

I too had this ah-hah moment in recent months. I realized that I dislike RTT's and I have no plans of owning your traditional RTT any longer. The setup and break down, the drying it out, not being able to stand up in it, dangerous heater options, this crap is for the birds. More so than anything, our time off is precious and maximizing our free time within that time off is paramount. The point I am trying to make is that if I can save 15-30 minutes each day in my setting up and breaking down camp then you can bet your bottom dollar that I am going to take advantage of that.

Clutch

<---Pass
I too had this ah-hah moment in recent months. I realized that I dislike RTT's and I have no plans of owning your traditional RTT any longer. The setup and break down, the drying it out, not being able to stand up in it, dangerous heater options, this crap is for the birds. More so than anything, our time off is precious and maximizing our free time within that time off is paramount. The point I am trying to make is that if I can save 15-30 minutes each day in my setting up and breaking down camp then you can bet your bottom dollar that I am going to take advantage of that.

Trailer...open the door, done.

Upcruiser seems pretty happy with his Colorado. Sure I have dogged on diesels in the past, but maybe it is time to change my thinking, perhaps instead of buying a vehicle and running it into the ground, should buy a new one and trade it in before the warranty is up for a fresh one. I do that with bikes, instead of rebuilding them, just get a fresh one every couple years.

https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/colorado-duramax-thread.170031/page-2

DCE47AD5-A9E2-40CC-A76F-7180BABD2CF4.jpg

My nieghbor has one of these. Looks real damn appealing coming from my gloried tent. Still has enough clearance to be dragged back a FS road, find a spot to boondock, then go exploring in the tow vehicle or whatever.

38e7284b7e2ad4f4e8328b03244f2f17.jpeg

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Another friend of mine owns a diesel Colorado and loves it. And he's a really good professional Toyota mechanic. Comes down to doing what he wants.

I would probably love it. Diesel makes so much sense for my driving style. It is the long term ownership and out of warranty repair cost that scares me. But, might be one of those things, just do what everyone else in America does...trade it in before the warranty is up. Not really into the modding of vehicles anymore anyways. Stock is fine by me. I have a buddy in AZ he gets a new truck about every 2-3 years. He is a Dodge guy, says they never give him trouble. Well yeah! You get a new one every 2-3 years!

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Long term ownership cost is hard to predict. Toyota has done well for me but plenty of people have issues with new ones. Thing is I don't know that they are any better now really since I've always bought used. The first owner of any vehicle is usually the one who has to deal with warranty and initial failures. It's like anything, though. When we say "They don't build them like they used to." it's only because the bad ones have already failed and been repaired or crushed. So, sure, the ones Toyota or GM or whoever did right are the ones I'm looking at. IOW, time will tell. I doubt the Colorado will prove to be as reliable as a 1st gen Tacoma but when you stop comparing apples to squirrels will a 2nd gen Colorado outlive 2nd and 3rd gen Tacomas? Keeping in mind you have to consider proportionally. Toyota produces 2 or 3 times the number of Tacomas as Colorados, so it can only be better if in 10 years there's more than 2 or 3 time the number of still working used ones. That we can see is true of 79-95 Toyotas, since there are in fact more of them still operating than same era S10s and Rangers sold in similar numbers. OTOH, the Rangers that are out there used are probably going to last forever being built with all the stars aligned.

phsycle

Adventurer
Financially, it is horrible to keep trading vehicles every few years. Ask me how I know!

Besides, Clutch, this is diametrically opposed to your cheapska.....frugal life philosophy.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Financially, it is horrible to keep trading vehicles every few years. Ask me how I know!

Besides, Clutch, this is diametrically opposed to your cheapska.....frugal life philosophy.

Oh for sure! I think how much money my buddy wastes trading in every few years. It is against everything in my being. The moto is the only "luxury" I afford myself. I am on a 5 year rotation, at the end...I'll part it out...which pays for half of a new one. Rebuilding it would of darn near taken up the other half. I generally only loose about $1500 or so. Which if you think about it...isn't all that bad for having it for 5 years.

That particular buddy used to be super cheap...like wouldn't spend any more than $1000 on a vehicle type cheap. Think he just got sick of constantly working on them. He does the same with bikes, but only worse. Might keep a bike for 6-12 months. They must love him at the DMV.

He was saying, if it needs new tires, it is time to trade it in.

Last edited:
I've never been one to get on the "trade in" treadmill, as I see others leasing or trading every few years. I've had 4 mid '80's Toy mini-trucks (pre-Tacoma) and have gotten at least 175K mi, with two going 250K+, with only regular maintenance needed. When I started shopping for something new, it really became apparent that the stout design features I took for granted on the previous trucks don't really exist any longer. Not to say they aren't durable, but the emphasis is on fuel economy and tech features now. I guess that's not bad, but reflects the perception the builders have for the US truck market.

My purchase of the Duramax Colorado really came down to comparable size and price to the Taco, but availability of a diesel engine. Will I get 175K - 250K mi troublefree from it?; hoping but not real confident.

Clutch

<---Pass
I've never been one to get on the "trade in" treadmill, as I see others leasing or trading every few years. I've had 4 mid '80's Toy mini-trucks (pre-Tacoma) and have gotten at least 175K mi, with two going 250K+, with only regular maintenance needed. When I started shopping for something new, it really became apparent that the stout design features I took for granted on the previous trucks don't really exist any longer. Not to say they aren't durable, but the emphasis is on fuel economy and tech features now. I guess that's not bad, but reflects the perception the builders have for the US truck market.

Me neither. I have had only 3 Toyotas in the last 26 years for my personal vehicle. '85 4Runner sold at 225K, '92 Pickup sold at 150K, still have the '99 Tacoma with 383K and counting...

I look and look at the new stuff, but like you said, it just isn't the same as the old stuff. 3rd Gen Tacoma still feels like a Toyota, but feels a bit dumbed down.

My purchase of the Duramax Colorado really came down to comparable size and price to the Taco, but availability of a diesel engine. Will I get 175K - 250K mi troublefree from it?; hoping but not real confident.

Be real interesting when the Ranger comes out if more people jump the Toyota ship, seems like long time loyalist are tired of waiting for them to put a diesel in the Tacoma, which looks like it will never happen.

Specs on the new Ranger are looking like it might be the gold-i-locks. Might not get diesel mpg, but will better than what the Tacoma fetches, the 1800 lbs payload is exciting too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier