How are those newer Tacos working out?

Clutch

<---Pass
Like the Marlin Crawler, 80's pickup with a 2.7L is a sweet set up. For a trail toy! I'd still rather have a 1st Gen at a minimum, for a daily driver (with a 3.4L).

And might I remind you the trucks all did cost the same (relatively speaking).

For how slow I drive, think it would be fine for plunking around the back roads here. I really don't like driving on the Interstate...too many knuckleheads. I find myself taking the back way home more than often even if it doubles the mileage, and adds over an hour to the commute. 35 mins on the Interstate, 120 mins back way through the country.

Always thought Toyotas were a little more than the other guys. When I paid $17K for my '99...was really out of my comfort zone. More than twice what I would normally pay. But I wanted it...

phsycle

Adventurer
While I do like Fords, I am a Toyota guy thru and thru...if I am honest with myself the Ford thing was my dad's. Think I only like those 70's Fords because that is what I leaned to drive in.

I like Ford's. I always thought the old Rangers were pretty cool back in the day. Not as cool as the Taco's, but still nice trucks. I like the new ones, too. Finally saw one on the road earlier this week. I was surprised, because I thought they hadn't hit the dealers yet. Pulled up and saw the Mexican plates. Couldn't tell if it was gas or diesel. Looked nice, though.

Clutch

<---Pass
I like Ford's. I always thought the old Rangers were pretty cool back in the day. Not as cool as the Taco's, but still nice trucks. I like the new ones, too. Finally saw one on the road earlier this week. I was surprised, because I thought they hadn't hit the dealers yet. Pulled up and saw the Mexican plates. Couldn't tell if it was gas or diesel. Looked nice, though.

Dated a woman with a Ranger, this is when I had my '92. The quality was pretty huge between the two. We used to call hers the lawnmower truck.

New Ranger does look good, but that Turbo...do have reservations about that. Not that it matters, doesn't look like I am giving up on the '99 any time real soon.

phsycle

Adventurer
For how slow I drive, think it would be fine for plunking around the back roads here. I really don't like driving on the Interstate...too many knuckleheads. I find myself taking the back way home more than often even if it doubles the mileage, and adds nearly an hour to the commute. 35 mins on the Interstate, 120 mins back way through the country.

Always thought Toyotas were a little more than the other guys. When I paid $17K for my '99...was really out of my comfort zone. More than twice what I would normally pay. But I wanted it...

I've never owned one, but rode plenty in my friend's years ago. Man, the ride was ROUGH, compared to my then 1st Gen Tacoma anyway. Maybe with 37's it wouldn't be bad, but stock, not so great off pavement. Plus, they were tin cans. Can't imagine what would happen in an accident with any modern vehicle.

These days, the prices are about the same. Ford, Chevy, Toyota. The domestics are stickered higher, but that's just an arbitrary number anyway. Selling price is about the same.

Clutch

<---Pass
I've never owned one, but rode plenty in my friend's years ago. Man, the ride was ROUGH, compared to my then 1st Gen Tacoma anyway. Maybe with 37's it wouldn't be bad, but stock, not so great off pavement. Plus, they were tin cans. Can't imagine what would happen in an accident with any modern vehicle.

These days, the prices are about the same. Ford, Chevy, Toyota. The domestics are stickered higher, but that's just an arbitrary number anyway. Selling price is about the same.

Yeah, my '85 4Runner was a buck board. Not sure if I could go back. Honestly would like to see IRS or at the very least linked coils on the Tacos, if these are going to be "Life Style Trucks". Ok maybe 2 things to change on the '83 linked SA with coil-overs... :D

dsc_0125.jpg

roving1

True throw back would cost what it did sell for originally. I mean, if you're gonna dream... :D

All time favorite Toyota body style. '83 Longbed. My aunt's best friend's brother had one...and
had it forever. Seeing that and some other trips out to AZ where Toyotas were everywhere, they were still
pretty rare back in PA at the time as they were deemed "Jap Crap"...his '83 is what got me to start buying Toyotas.

His was white, but this is a very nice example, wouldn't change a thing.

View attachment 481029
I tried to buy this 81 and it got sold as I was driving out cash in hand. Still mad about it lol.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GuE1mmVUHhPL7pYm2

Clutch

<---Pass
I tried to buy this 81 and it got sold as I was driving out cash in hand. Still mad about it lol.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GuE1mmVUHhPL7pYm2

Ohhh, that is nice!

Wouldn't mind to have one to tinker with...but then again. Rather be out exploring. My current one, the dirt bike, the house...gives me plenty to fuss with with. The scooter will be getting a new topend this winter, but that should only take 15 minutes or so... :eek:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
You know, as cool as the 79-85 trucks are I think they are getting to be too much a labor of love to keep them going as stock-ish trucks. It's a collectible thing and Toyota doesn't sell critical parts for the ignition and carbs anymore. I liked my '78 FJ40 but moved for the same reason. You're fabricating parts like carb gaskets and diaphragms, culling NAPA for similar parts, digging in junkyards all the time. More power to the guys who do it. I find I'm happier using free time doing something else. I liked my FJ40 but sold it for the same reasons. And for Cruisers there's more of a market and better support for that stuff. Mini trucks are mostly seen as disposable so there's not nearly the number of speciality suppliers for restoration parts. If I ever do happen to get an old truck again it would be 89-95 era and it would be with the expectation I'll be doing an engine swap and Marlin drivetrain.

You're right about trying to stay on top of aging vehicles. I don't believe its practical to keep one totally stock, and I really don't want to get to the point of having to make sure the paint marks are original and correct for the diff assembly on a 60's era collectible muscle car. I drive what I own (when they're driveable!), and while it's nice to see value appreciation, the growing collector market drives too many things in the wrong direction. It's inevitable to see parts availability go away and $$ increase, but at what point do you throw in the towel?

A little 4Runner History:

In the mid to late 80's there were "quotas" on how many trucks Toyota was allowed to import. They cleverly designated the 4Runner as a station wagon, allowing more flexibility on how many could come into the country. They paid an extra tariff on them like the cars, and that contributed to the premium price. The original MI state title for my '89 4Runner showed "sta wagon". Imagine the comments from buddies...

In those days dealers made guesses on what features would sell about 2 years prior to production. Production shipped and us buyers basically took what we got. In '88 I shopped for 6 mos trying to find the then new 3.0 V-6 with a 5spd and SR-5 features. In the end, I had to take the auto trans to get a V-6. No ordering possible and you played the "dealer trade" game to try to get something you wanted.

I looked at multiple new "DLX" model 4Runners which had no back seat or even carpet in the rear on dealer lots. Can you imagine seeing that today; It looks funny to see a pickup without a spray-in bedliner now...

Sorry guys, I'll go back in my cave now.

bkg

Explorer
A little 4Runner History:

In the mid to late 80's there were "quotas" on how many trucks Toyota was allowed to import. They cleverly designated the 4Runner as a station wagon, allowing more flexibility on how many could come into the country. They paid an extra tariff on them like the cars, and that contributed to the premium price. The original MI state title for my '89 4Runner showed "sta wagon". Imagine the comments from buddies...

In those days dealers made guesses on what features would sell about 2 years prior to production. Production shipped and us buyers basically took what we got. In '88 I shopped for 6 mos trying to find the then new 3.0 V-6 with a 5spd and SR-5 features. In the end, I had to take the auto trans to get a V-6. No ordering possible and you played the "dealer trade" game to try to get something you wanted.

I looked at multiple new "DLX" model 4Runners which had no back seat or even carpet in the rear on dealer lots. Can you imagine seeing that today; It looks funny to see a pickup without a spray-in bedliner now...

Sorry guys, I'll go back in my cave now.

I had... for over a decade... and gave away... a factory rear seat delete panel.

REALLY wanted to rebuild/restore the 87 4Runner I built with my Dad back in college. Sold to a friend who sold to a friend who SAS'd and wheeled it for a decade who sold it to me... who realized I'd never do a frame off... and sold it to another friend.

But I really wanted to use that rear seat delete panel!!!!

Clutch

<---Pass
I had... for over a decade... and gave away... a factory rear seat delete panel.

REALLY wanted to rebuild/restore the 87 4Runner I built with my Dad back in college. Sold to a friend who sold to a friend who SAS'd and wheeled it for a decade who sold it to me... who realized I'd never do a frame off... and sold it to another friend.

But I really wanted to use that rear seat delete panel!!!!
No idea what happened to my seat panel. Left it in my dads garage, guessing it got tossed when they moved down to Florida.

When I sold the 4Runner in AZ...$2500 wasn’t even in the classifieds for a day. Tried selling in PA before I moved out to AZ..not a nibble. They hated Japanese trucks back there at the time.

Guy I sold it to, made it into a rock crawler...ending up rolling it the last I heard.

phsycle

Adventurer
Yeah, my '85 4Runner was a buck board. Not sure if I could go back. Honestly would like to see IRS or at the very least linked coils on the Tacos, if these are going to be "Life Style Trucks". Ok maybe 2 things to change on the '83 linked SA with coil-overs... :D

dsc_0125.jpg

I wish Toyota would take queue from Ram and go coils out back. It'd make so much more sense. No retooling necessary. Just stick the current 4Runner axles under there. Side benefit: All them crybabies would stop whining about the drum brakes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94