How about this as a starting point?

lionsbreath

Adventurer
Ok, after reading all of the threads about expedition trailers, I got the bug to build on myself. I started looking around and thought, why not start withwhat I already have. Tell me what you think about using this as a starting point. I have had this trailer for years and have used it for everything even towing it to the rim a time or two for camping. the box measures out at 4'w x 6'L x 41/2' tall I was going to to a little wor on the traile any ways (needs new doors built and I want a new coupler) so why not just do a SOA on it and built a custom roof rack? Do you thing it would be to tall for a tent on top? And the whole center of gravity thing?
Input please? By the way it is solid it's an old United rental trailer. and I rebuilt the frame and sides about 15 years ago the top is alum.
I will tow it witm 03 tao or my gen 1 4runner
P1010004.jpg

P1010003.jpg

P1010002.jpg

lionsbreath

Adventurer
Well that is the nice part the top is like a lid that just clamps down I can pull it and then cut in shorter wall sections.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
lionsbreath said:
Well that is the nice part the top is like a lid that just clamps down I can pull it and then cut in shorter wall sections.

Good suggestion. Keeping the center of gravity as low as possible will be major benefit off-road.

Last edited:

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
I like it! Great starting point. It has a similar foot print to an adventure trailer. I am starting with something about the same size. 6ft is just long enough for me to sleep in if I put my feet in one corner and head in the opposite.

4.5 feet tall ...I'd leave it. Mine is about the same height and it is the same height as the roof of the 4Runner I pull it with. The top doesn't weight much at all so it is no real concern with CG and if you are planning in sleeping in it like me then thats just tall enough to sit up on something or sit on a potable toilet.

On mine I had an old equipment cabinet that has nice 44 x32 inc doors that I made gull wing doors on the sides to ease loading. I am thinking of making a sleeping platform about 12 inches tall that flips open to stash the portable toilet, gear. that will let me compartmentalize to make sure it doesn't shift and change the tongue weight unexpectedly.

On mine I did put a roof rack on it because I also use mine as a utility trailer for stuff that is too big for my 4Runner to eat. The rack lets me haul a full sheets of plywood and if I do one day get a RTT it will be easy to mount.

Mine is not finished and will be getting skinned in .030 prefinished aluminum to match the side doors. Just have not had the time.

I plan to put a A-Frame hitch with a set of aluminum equipment boxes on the tongue for battery and other gear and to get a little more tongue length. I may also make a extend-able tongue. It is just short enough now that it is a real pain to back up.

More info in my trailer thread in my sig.

Here is how I set it up for for base camping where it supports one end of a canopy. This way I can toss stuff up on the roof that I need out of the way but down want wet or on the ground. I can walk down both sides under the canopy to get into the side hatches. Also so I won't be sleeping in a snare drum in the rain. It also keeps the sun off the box to help prevent it from being an oven. I will be making some screens for the side hatches held in with magnetic strip.

attachment.php

Last edited:

Willman

lx450landcruiser said:
i would chop the top, remove about 2 feet of it then re rivit the top back on, spring over axle and your good to go

^Ditto

Looks like you have lots of room on the front of the trailer for gas/water cans...

I like it......

A RTT, lock n roll, Matching wheels and tires and you set!

You could do some cool shelving in their!

:D

lionsbreath

Adventurer
Well I thought about a roof rack and lift to start with. I was thinking of sleeping in my 4Runner and storing gear in the trailer I like the heigth because like you GRIM it falls in line with my runner. And once loaded the center ogravity should stay pretty low if tools and heavy gear are loaded at floor level. I like you tarp set up you have. I thought a tent on the roof rack might work as well later on. But sleeping in the runner works for me.
I most likely will run 31" or 32" Depends on what I finally decied on. I am trying to keep my 87 4Runner and my 03 Double Cab Toco around the same in set up. I was going to make some fold down tables on each side for cooking and trail fixes. And in the photo you can see the the spare tire holder that I found on Craigslist.
I think a SOA will fit the tires ok. I have plywood sides with alum roofing metal attached to the wood to protect it. I would like to keep it so I can still use it as a utility trailer when not camping with it. I have plenty of room to place fuel and water cans on the sides front and back. The hardest part of the project will be to stop flying long enough to start working on it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94