How a tool should be made!

pray4surf

Explorer
Thanks for sharing that

Pretty cool :ylsmoke:

Coupla questions:
At around 2:10, what was the powder sprinkled onto the red hot metal? Purpose?
Around 3:10, what liquid was the axe dipped into? Purpose?
Around 3:30, was that polishing compound, green stuff?

Been way too many years since Jr High School metal shop :Wow1:

ripperj

Explorer
That was really cool! tho is does amaze me that people with that much talent risk their eyes by not wearing any kind of eye protection, it's not 1790 anymore.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I believe that is COKE to reduce Slag. edit: Coke is not correct. That is a type of coal. But I do think it is an anti slag anti oxidation powder. Just don't know what that powder is called.

The liquid was a quenching agent as a method of tempering. Can be water, oil, and sometimes liquid salt, but the salt style of tempering is usually molten hot and just a different method.
I think the green stuff is just the green buffing compound that you can put on a strop or buffing wheel. Color is just an indicator of grit level.

I hope all that is correct. It has been a long time for me too and I could be mixing stuff up.

toymaster

Explorer
Thank you for the heads-up with the video. Checked out the website and they are not taking orders right now, to many orders to quickly. I have a small collection of hand-made hand-forged knives, really liked their axes.

6x6pinz

Adventurer
Way cool. Love working raw iron into something else that I can use.

more than likely the powder was a hardening agent.
https://www.blacksmithsdepot.com/pa...ources/Product/Supplies/Fluxes_Compounds.xml/
the buffing wheel dressing would have been something along these lines
https://www.blacksmithsdepot.com/page.php?theLocation=/Resources/Product/Supplies/Finishing.xml/
I retain some of the motor oil when I change the oil in my diesel trucks to harden steel. the high carbon content works really well and looks alot like in the video. I am sure there is a commercial product available to do this but not sure where one would go about finding it.

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
That was really cool! tho is does amaze me that people with that much talent risk their eyes by not wearing any kind of eye protection, it's not 1790 anymore.

x2 Enjoyed the video and stunned, that he does not use eye pro.

powder

the powder was flux, most likely borax, he oil quenched it and polished the cutting surface with polishing compound,that's the green stuff.

jay3253

Adventurer
At around 2:10, what was the powder sprinkled onto the red hot metal? Purpose? Borax-Flux to weld metals together
Around 3:10, what liquid was the axe dipped into? Purpose? Oil-hardening harden metal makes it more durable
Around 3:30, was that polishing compound, green stuff? Polishing compound to make it nice and shinny

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Lots of interesting backstory on John Neeman and how he isn't even part of the company that has his name anymore.
But very nice craftsmanship I gotta say.

My 15yr old son & I just attended Gordon Williams blacksmithing class at Peih Tool in Camp Verde Az and it was the best 30 hrs I have spent learning any craft. Gordon is a great teacher and I will be making use of the skills for the rest of my life.
We came home and immediately built a propane forge to go along with the coke/coal one we already had.
This the first test burn before we finished the details.
903265_4483067316684_441897129_o.jpg

And while my son does like to make some knives...come on what kid doesn't?
554924_4465476556926_47110924_n.jpg

He also learned more artistic skills to go into his future sculptures and pieces to sell.
393666_4460089702258_794382579_n.jpg

This was his first scrap iron eagle built a year ago...he has since done another eagle & a phoenix
421143_2759589310811_1974702846_n.jpg

Currently for a school art project he is building a wolf that is 6ft from nose to tail...I will post it when done. His goal is to NOT work at a fast food place or such as a first job but instead to sell small and large art pieces throughout high school. How can I not support this when it means I get to go pound iron also? :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94