How ‘bout a weight loss challenge?

sgt rock

Adventurer
ready to rock

the past few weeks have been going great with work outs- being 48 and back in school had some one gal tell me that she noticed i was changing and that was a ego boost especially from someone over half my age. (smirk)

i am still on the machines on the gym after afew weeks and have seen the plates increase each day i not week. i would go to free weights but time is a big factor. my hikes up shaw butte have went from 45 minutes to 30 and when the weather cools a little more here in arizona will be biking more!!

as far as food- lots of vegi's, tuna, turkey and chicken breast- do not even crave junk food or sugar drinks anymore.

i have noticed that i am no longer wearing my shirts outside and feel more comfortable tucking them in. i do know my waist has decreased but my shirt sleeves are a little tighter (not arguing that) -

wish i could have posted a start picture-

SEREvince

Adventurer
Slightly depressed with my overall results so far. I have lost 3 pounds, but I have lost 0 inches off of my waist! It's driving me crazy

Admittedly I was pretty bad on a recent 3 day trip for work, but other than that I have been eating a ton of rabbit food and sticking to fish and chicken for meat.

My run times are improving pretty well and I don't feel just wasted afterwards. So I am happy about that.

I've been running, riding my road bike and hitting spin class for exercise. I really need to do something about weight training to build some muscle. I am completly in the dark when it comes to lifting weights.

Where are you guys doing to build those big guns?

Cheers

Vince

Nuclear Redneck

Adventurer
Lynn said:
Here's your new mantra:

muscles are heavier than fat,
muscles are heavier than fat

Repeat as necessary.
Yeah, that mantra got me in trouble

<cartman> I'm not fat, I'm just big-boned...BEEFCAKE...BEEFCAKE</cartman>

sgt rock

Adventurer
In The Dark

SEREvince said:
Slightly depressed with my overall results so far. I have lost 3 pounds, but I have lost 0 inches off of my waist! It's driving me crazy

Admittedly I was pretty bad on a recent 3 day trip for work, but other than that I have been eating a ton of rabbit food and sticking to fish and chicken for meat.

My run times are improving pretty well and I don't feel just wasted afterwards. So I am happy about that.

I've been running, riding my road bike and hitting spin class for exercise. I really need to do something about weight training to build some muscle. I am completly in the dark when it comes to lifting weights.

Cheers

Vince

i have to quip and say that there is genetics involved with what you hope to desire....if i had a body part that stood out would be my legs..in the gym many people ask me how and what i do for them but reality was it was something i was born with.

one way to see how a muscle will grow such as the biceps is to see how the muscle ends by the opposite side of the elbow. my muscle ends about two fingers at this point and know that genetics will make it nice and tone working out but will not be massive...

i have two books i can recomend:
"getting stronger" bill pearl- shows many ways of using weights.

and for inspiration:
"Fitness is Religion: Keep the Faith" Ray Kybartas

SEREvince

Adventurer
azbootcamp said:
i have two books i can recomend:
"getting stronger" bill pearl- shows many ways of using weights.

and for inspiration:
"Fitness is Religion: Keep the Faith" Ray Kybartas

I was very lean and pretty darn fast in the not too distant past. So I know the potential is there. As far as getting stronger I don't wan't to be the Governator, just stronger.

I appreciate the info on the books, I'll have to check them out.

Thanks

Vince

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
I'm in!

I already took my work cohorts for $100 on one of these bets. :xxrotflma
I was 240 in Feb. I'm 205 now. I only have 10lb more to reach my official goal.

My secret was this fad diet as out lined here.

Motivation:

My 7 year old daughter being fatherless.
Heart problems run in my family. I already had a heart attack at 37 and now sport 3 stints. 240 was the biggest I ever got but my genetics seems to be prone to clogging up even though my Cholesterol was never over 210. My father died at 45.

The warnings of a slow miserable death after years of popping pills and getting Diabetes all the fun that comes with it that my Cardiologst kept telling me final set in Feb.

How is did it:
Portion control. I cut my calorie intake in half. When I go to lunch I literally take the meal and divide it in half. Doggy bag the second half for lunch the next day or dinner. So I get two meals for a financial savings.

I quit with sugar drinks. Water is what I get when I go out and it saves $1.50 to boot.

The biggie is exercise. I do not have the discipline to go to a Gym. I tired the who exercise machines. They ended up becoming clothes hangers. I had to figure out a way to get exercise daily. I started bicycle commuting :bike_rider: I now take 1/4 of my blood pressure medication and my resting BP is 112/68. I take half my prescribed cholesterol meds and my test are usualy around 105 but my HDL is low. I need to see if the exercise raised it.

silentsamurai

Explorer
Your all doing a great job. I may be 6'2 150lb's but i'm currently trying to bulk up and your daily posts also give me inspiration.

So keep up the good work, eat healthy, take a 30min walk before you get ready for work every morning, and keep at it. Theres so many people on this thread already, all you need to do is give each other the support you need and you can achieve your goals in no time.

Cheers,
Adam

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Ok so Friday is my official weigh in day. I lost another 6lbs this week for a total of 13lbs so far! I thought I would hit a plateau this week so I am going to roll the dice and say I will get one more week of large numbers drop. Especially since I am uping my "play time" this week.

I will now be looking at 3 hours of gym time. 50 miles of bike and 15 or more miles of paddling. Oh and a limit of 1700 calories of food intake per day. THis seems to be working really well for me since I am breaking it up between 3 meals and 2 snacks per day. I really have no hunger issues and if I do start to get a little hungry in the evening I just drink a large glass of water before I go to bed.

jim65wagon

SEREvince said:

Cheers

Vince

Don't get depressed! We're all in this together! Last weigh in I've only dropped 2 lbs, but like you I can walk farther/faster and my recovery time is improving. In just three weeks I feel better than I have in years. You're feeling better and you're exercising, that's the important thing.

As for the big guns - you're taking a spin class, so you're at a Y or a gym? They must have a weight room, go ask one of the trainers, or even someone just working out how some of the machines work.

The machines at the Y here have a very good description of their use and muscle groups they work. Between that and watching other people using the machines I caught on pretty well.

Spikepretorius

Explorer
Week 3 and I'm down to 242lbs from 250lbs. Slow but sure.
I reckon if I go for colonic irrigation I'd prolly lose 20lbs in one go. he he he :sombrero:

lowenbrau

Explorer
Still steady at 193. I ate quite a lot better this week too but I began jogging so I'm going with the " Muscles are heavier than fat" mantra.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
OK peoples, post up your EOM results!!

OK peoples, post up your EOM results!!

My weigh-in this AM showed that the scales are stuck at 237 (same as last week). So I'm -3# for the month. Not gonna win like that.

HOWEVER, Only had one ice cream this month, and we joined the Y. 25 min. on the treadmill yesterday, and am going to meet my wife there again tonight, so I'm poised to win the Oct. challenge (I'll start a new thread for that one).

Post up, folks, post up. I know we have some big losers out there!

Last edited:

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Skylinerider said:
I am at a net 4 pound loss

Nullifier said:
I lost another 6lbs this week for a total of 13lbs so far!

Spikepretorius said:
Week 3 and I'm down to 242lbs from 250lbs.

lowenbrau said:
Still steady at 193.

Lynn said:
So I'm -3# for the month.

the dude said:
Down 5lbs for the month.

I just did a quick survey of the posts from the last week of Sep., and it looks like Nullifier is our biggest loser!! (My apologies if I missed anyone, please set the record straight if I did)

Hearthealthy congratulations to all!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke