Hourless Life: Documenting Our Global Overland Adventure

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
I also stayed at Al Bosque, taking the bus down to Medellin. The bus actually hit a cyclist on our way down, he was ok though. The Trams were cool, as well as the sculptures downtown. It was really great to retrace my steps through your video. I dont remember what day we were there, but the public transport ran backward for the second half of the day when we were there. haha

There were also still murals of Escobar, and his cartel in places. Some vecindario
really liked him, others not so much.

Hourless Life

Take a tour through what has historically been one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the world as we continue our drive around the world in our Jeep Gladiator.

#hourlesslife #comuna13 #overlanding #colombia #southamerica #medellin

Hourless Life

I also stayed at Al Bosque, taking the bus down to Medellin. The bus actually hit a cyclist on our way down, he was ok though. The Trams were cool, as well as the sculptures downtown. It was really great to retrace my steps through your video. I dont remember what day we were there, but the public transport ran backward for the second half of the day when we were there. haha

There were also still murals of Escobar, and his cartel in places. Some vecindario
really liked him, others not so much.
That's awesome! We really had a great time. The next video which I just posted was on Comuna 13. Did you take that tour?

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
The only tour we took, was a cave/river swim/raft, jungle trek adventure type tour. Unfortunately, the pictures never made it out. Im not even sure where it was at. We were able to camp in a farmer’s field. (with permission) Then walk to the base, do the hike, cave tour, and raft back to our camp spot. I wish I could remember what it was called. The Rio Claro, in a nature preserve. Something like that.

We did a little walking in Comuna 13, but not tour. And only saw the fringes.

Last edited:

Hourless Life

Our Jeep Gladiator was nearly stolen in Colombia. On the same day, we had this crazy detour. This is the reality of overlanding around the world.

To be clear, this is no reflection on the Colombian people. There are bad actors in every country. As a general rule the Colombian people have been among the kindest and most hospitable we've met on our journey.

Hope you enjoy this video and that it brings awareness to a common scam if you are ever overlanding in South America.

#hourlesslife #overlanding #colombia #medellin #southamerica

smlobx

Wanderer
That last video was eye opening! Having just returned from our adventure to Chile and Argentina I’m happy to say that we didn’t encounter any city traffic like that.
‘Safe travels and the best is yet to come!

Hourless Life

That last video was eye opening! Having just returned from our adventure to Chile and Argentina I’m happy to say that we didn’t encounter any city traffic like that.
‘Safe travels and the best is yet to come!
We have yet to make it to a Latin American country that doesn't have traffic like this. Maybe it is the routes we take. Glad you got to enjoy your adventure! ~ E

Hourless Life

Our overlandng drive around the world in our Jeep Gladiator continues. This time we take you to Jardin, Colombia and on a pretty freaky cable car.

#hourlesslife #overlanding #southamerica #colombia #jardin

HopeOverLandandSea

We have yet to make it to a Latin American country that doesn't have traffic like this. Maybe it is the routes we take. Glad you got to enjoy your adventure! ~ E

I watched a few of your recent videos specifically looking at the traffic per a suggestion by Dan Grec as I currently pull a 12' Aliner Scout camper. Based on that and his experience etc I am really re-thinking pulling anything and instead going to look pretty hard at the AT Habitat.

He mentioned your rig ended up being way heavier that expected and even with Max Tow you were over payload? Do you feel that has held you back or you just added extra spring (and/or air) to the rear and that compensated enough?

Payload concerns got me looking at full size 3/4 ton trucks instead so that circles back to the "traffic" concern here if you think the mid size is just better all over because of the narrowness despite payload or full size will be fine? Just the 2 adults on this trip but will be full time and pretty much following your footsteps starting in 2025 living and working remote and starting with PanAm!

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
I watched a few of your recent videos specifically looking at the traffic per a suggestion by Dan Grec as I currently pull a 12' Aliner Scout camper. Based on that and his experience etc I am really re-thinking pulling anything and instead going to look pretty hard at the AT Habitat.

He mentioned your rig ended up being way heavier that expected and even with Max Tow you were over payload? Do you feel that has held you back or you just added extra spring (and/or air) to the rear and that compensated enough?

Payload concerns got me looking at full size 3/4 ton trucks instead so that circles back to the "traffic" concern here if you think the mid size is just better all over because of the narrowness despite payload or full size will be fine? Just the 2 adults on this trip but will be full time and pretty much following your footsteps starting in 2025 living and working remote and starting with PanAm!

There is no shortage of folks who have done the Pan-Am in full size trucks. My brother being one, I have also been there with a full size. Everything from full size trucks, and pop up campers, to frame on vehicles like Tigers, and Nimbl, Xp Campers. Others who have done it in large unimog/ HD chassis rigs.

Trailers especially larger ones do complicate everything. Its a lot harder to do a tight turn, or back up. Dan is a good dude, with lots of experience and solid advice.

Your rig will dictate how you travel without a doubt. Most people adapt to that. Although it does help if you are used to driving a full size. I also did Patagonia on a Motorcycle.

There were places sometimes the moto was too wide, and others the truck was wide. We would just adjust our route accordingly. For example, we took the Moto places we wouldn’t have taken a full size truck just because we could. And others we would park the truck and explore by foot, public transport.

Everything has pros and cons. Lots to think about, and sounds like you are doing your research. Have a blast on your trip!

The Gladiator is about 73.8 Inches, with most fullsize trucks being 80. inches wide. (+/- either of these, as trucks seem to be getting wider.)

Last edited:

Hourless Life

First off @JeepNerd I'm excited for you both and your upcoming journey. Doing the PanAm from Mexico all the way to South America is an eye opening and perspective shifting experience. I applaud you for going through the planning stages now, and asking the right questions.

@Dan Grec is a good personal friend, and has been an invaluable mentor and inspiration to us as we prepared for our own journey as well. We are over payload, but not by very much. We were very careful in our build. But transporting 3 people with all of our gear and clothes is a little different than going solo or just as a couple.

To answer your question, I don't think our payload has impacted our journey much at all. Again we are very close to the mark that we set. And though you cannot increase payload (anyone who tells you different would be incorrect) you can alter the suspension sufficiently to handle more weight than you are carrying which is what we've done. We are running the Dobinsons rear coil springs, Teraflex bump stops, and we have airbags in the coil springs just to help adjust the ride based on our current load out, but those are redundant for us. We have about 300+ lbs to play with to the good on our suspension. DAUNTLESS has no rake, handles like a sedan, and yet is capable of taking us into small villages and towns without much heartache. Having said that, we are always aware of payload and are constantly downsizing and getting rid of anything we don't use regularly. Ideally, whatever buildout you do, you'll do well to stay within your actual payload capacity.

I concur with Dan, and @Pacific Northwest yetti in that I wouldn't recommend a trailer build out for this journey. Beyond the issues that Pacific mentioned, there is also the issue of Temporary Import Permits for multiple "vehicles" at each international border crossing and extensions to those permits. So personally I'd recommend nixing that idea all together.

When it comes down to vehicle size for this journey I have a few thoughts.

1. Consider exterior dimensions for shipping inside a standard or hi-cube container across the Darien Gap as well as across any ocean should you decide to continue your overland adventure.

2. We have seen everything from huge expedition level rigs to motorcycle overlanders on our journey. We've talked with many of them. You CAN do the entire trip in any size vehicle. The question really comes down to what type of journey do you want to have? So many of our overlanding friends on this journey have communicated regret of having too large of a vehicle for a container, and for the traffic, narrow streets, low clearance bridges, and garages/parking.

3. Motorcycle overlanders have it best as far as navigating down here without question. The smaller the rig the easier it is across the board. Ultimately it is a balance and comes down to personal preference. We are genuinely happy with our build and size for what we've experienced. I personally wouldn't want to go bigger than what we have for this journey. There have been numerous times where Brittany and I turned to eachother throughout this journey and said, "Can you imagine right now if we had a full size rig.. or a Unimog.. or a _______" You get the idea. But at the end of the day it is your journey and you need to make it your own. Just be realistic about what type of journey you want to have and what level of creature comforts you both enjoy.

Happy to be a continued resource for you. If by chance you'll be at Overland Expo West 2023, we'll be there this year and would be happy to spend some time in person answering questions you may have. But you are always welcome to reach out digitally too.

Have a blast in this build process. It is part of the journey. ~ Eric

Last edited:

Hourless Life

So happy to hear this! I'll be there too, and we absolutely need a catch up!
I'll be staying in the area for a week or so after the show, it would be great to camp out together if you have the time!

-Dan
We would love to camp with you for a night or two if we can swing it (and if you can of course) It would be so great to catch up and swap stories. I'd love to hear all the stuff that didn't make your YouTube and Patreon about Down Under! Miss you my friend and looking forward to giving you a hug back home. ~ Eric

HopeOverLandandSea

First off @JeepNerd I'm excited for you both and your upcoming journey. Doing the PanAm from Mexico all the way to South America is an eye opening and perspective shifting experience. I applaud you for going through the planning stages now, and asking the right questions.

1. Consider exterior dimensions for shipping inside a standard or hi-cube container across the Darien Gap as well as across any ocean should you decide to continue your overland adventure.

2. We have seen everything from huge expedition level rigs to motorcycle overlanders on our journey. We've talked with many of them. You CAN do the entire trip in any size vehicle. The question really comes down to what type of journey do you want to have? So many of our overlanding friends on this journey have communicated regret of having too large of a vehicle for a container, and for the traffic, narrow streets, low clearance bridges, and garages/parking.

I will be at Overland Expo east again this year, but will be on the road for my 2 month camping trip across USA with my Nephew during West / PNW and Mtn West so not for me this year, maybe next year!

Just doing the math, I need to go back and watch your container video / post and see if you were able to fit in normal (not high top) and my research is saying 89.75" for that door! Backing into that math, Sport S stock is 75" so 14.75" of room to play with. We are actually looking very seriously now at the AT Habitat and it appears to be 10" over the Gladiator cab. Looking at your springs they are 3" lift springs (already earmarked them along with most of your build parts) so with slightly bigger tires, 315/75/17s that has to be pushing right at the max. I guess I can lower PSI just a hair if needed, I think you are the ones driving in/out of the containers.

High Cube would easily fit, even if I went with the Ford SuperDuty, about 8-10" wider than Gladiator. Payload is the primary reason I got looking at the full size trucks but your post here really helps. When I searched for Ford, Toyota and Jeep Dealers in Central and South America I found them all. BUT the F250 is not sold there (F150 is), Toyota is only the Hilux, BUT the Gladiator IS sold in all the dealers I looked at. So having a vehicle that is actively sold in those countries makes me feel much better about parts supplies, etc.

Thanks again for all the help, Dan has been invaluable as well, I am based in Winston Salem NC area if either of you are ever coming through on your way to/from Overland Expo East!

Sam

alanymarce

In terms of traffic as you continue south:
- Perú, Ecuador, Bolivia, and Paraguay are most similar to Colombia
- Chile is orderly
- Argentina is fast but generally competent
- Brazil is fast and anarchic except for 100 m either side of speed traps
- Uruguay is sedate
- Venezuela makes Colombia seem like Germany

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94