Hourless Life: Documenting Our Global Overland Adventure

Hourless Life

Just when you thought overlanding through Mexico's interior couldn't get any more amazing. Wait until you see this.

We've now been in Mexico on three separate overlanding trips over the past three years.

This city of Guanajuato is probably our favorite city yet. It is a UNESCO World Heritage City and it is mind blowing!

In this video we take you on a day in the life with us. From the moment we wake up until we call it a night.

The first part of the video is during the day, and the second at night. They couldn't be more different. It is like 2 different cities in one. I really hope you take a moment to watch this. I think if you do, it will convince you to head south of the border and give Mexico a try if you haven't already.

Any questions at all please don't hesitate to ask. ~ Eric

Hourless Life

(Long post ahead, but I hope worth a read. Also open to civil discussion.)

On an online forum that I'm on, I received a comment today that essentially said, and I'm paraphrasing,
"Not in a million years would I go to Mexico, let alone take my kid. They could get kidnapped or worse. But more power to them for taking the trip. I don't have that risk tolerance."

We get these kind of comments all the time. I thought I'd share my response for open discussion.

My response:

"Interesting comment.

Not trying to be argumentative, rather trying to understand your position.

Why would you assume the worst about the people of Mexico? What information is your comment based on?

Has it been your first hand experience that you've had a negative experience in Mexico? Are you basing this on what you've heard in the news and on social media about the country? Or are you basing this on a story that you heard from someone who had something happen to them first hand?

I'm really curious, because we get these types of comments all the time, and most folks, when asked just say that "they've heard" terrible things and it has caused them to be afraid of making this journey.

I can tell you that this is our third overlanding trip in to Mexico in three years. In 2019 when our son was 2 we did 2000+ miles into the interior of Mexico. In early 2020 before COVID was a thing, and my son was 3 years old, we did 2000+ miles covering the entirety of the Baja Peninsula. Now in 2021 we're about 2000 miles into interior Mexico again.

Not once throughout all of Mexico have we felt that our security or safety were in question on any of those trips in over 6000 miles through the country.
Actually what we've found is that the people here are kind, beyond hospitable and incredibly humble. That's been our first hand experience. Many of our friends have reached out and expressed concern but they are always the ones who haven't done the journey, or "never in a million years" would do it.

Whenever we talk to folks that have actually made the journey, they all echo our thoughts and experience.

Unfortunately I feel that mass media, social media and the like love to share stories that get them views. A kidnapping, car jacking, or murder will always get more views than a walk through a Mercado. It's sadly the way our consumption of media has gone. The horrific story of Gabby Petito and Brian Laundrie was all over the media and they sadly got more than their 15 minutes of fame. Right?

But most people have never heard of Dan Grec, Richard and Ashley Giordano, Scott Brady, or Graeme and Luisa Bell. These are folks who have overlanded vast sections of the planet. At least one of them has overlanded on every continent including Antarctica.

Why is it we don't hear these stories and people aren't familiar with them?

Honestly because they aren't sensational enough for mainstream media.

Bottom line, you know a little of our story because you ran across one of my posts on a forum. But very few people know who we are or what we're doing. Because our story isn't picked up by any major outlets. But believe me, if something horrific were to happen to us and we got car jacked, kidnapped or worse, we (just like Gabby and Brian) would get our "15 minutes of fame" and millions of people would hear our story. The folks who said, I told you they shouldn't have gone would be right and I probably wouldn't be around to hear about it.

But the reality is that we could complete our drive around the world in 10-15 years, and unless you follow us on YouTube, Patreon, Instagram, Facebook etc, or heard us speak at an event like Overland Expo you'd never even know we existed.

Unfortunately this is the way of the world.

Anyway, I hope you take this in the heart it was intended, My point is that if you really want to know what it is like to be down here, ask folks like us who are doing it and take with a grain of salt the stories you hear from news outlets and other second hand information.

I'm really glad you posted, because my hope is to at least provide something to think on for those that would have grave concerns about doing so.

Appreciate your "more power to the OP" comment. I know that your intention was not to blast us, and my response was not intended to blast you either. Just to give perspective.

Appreciate you reading if you read this far.

All the best from Guanajuato, Mexico. ~ Eric"

Thoughts? Discussion? Comment below.

djm68

Observer
For those interested in the build portion (we're much more interested in the journey portion) but we kinda got to get through the build to get to the journey...

Our entire build series can be found on YouTube here.

But the highlights of the build are:

Jeep Gladiator Sport S with Max Tow Package. 4.10 gears, automatic transmission, 1535 lb payload
MOPAR 2" lift
TeraFlex 3.5" rear coil springs
Airlift 1000lb air bags
Hellwig Rear Sway Bar
WARN Diamond Cutter wheels
BFG KO2 AT tires (34 10.50) Basically a 33.5" tire which was recommended by experienced international overlanders
Alu-Cab Canopy Camper (we reversed the main entry door as our living area is on the passenger side)
Alu-Cab Shadow Awning
Alu-Cab Shower Cube
Alu-Cab 13 gallon potable water tank
REDARC Manager30 with RedVision system
280 watts of solar by Cascadia 4x4
170ah Renogy Lithium Battery for the house
Webasto Gasoline Heater
Long Range America 17 gallon external fuel tank
Goose Gear Double Drawer modules x2
Goose Gear Utility Cabinets x2
Goose Gear Bulkhead
Goose Gear Deckplate
Goose Gear corner unit
Goose Gear 60 High seat delete
Goose Gear solo fridge slide
National Luna Legacy 50 fridge/freezer
Rigid Industries E-Series Pro 10" light bar
Rigid Industries fog lights
Rigid Industries Flood and Spot pod lights
Rigid Industries Scene lights (amber and white)
WARN 9.5xp winch with Spydura Nightline rope and Hub wireless controller
AEV Snorkel with Sy-Klone prefilter
RockHard 4x4 Aluminum front bumper with lowered winch plate

Obviously there is a lot of gear that we are carrying which I'll save for another thread on gear. But that's pretty much the highlights of the build itself.

We'll be at Overland Expo Mountain West in the showcase area, and at Overland Expo West in the Goose Gear booth this year if anyone is going to either event.

~ Eric

Enjoyed your reading your story and your build videos on youtube! I am curious where your rig wound up in terms of payload capacity?

Thanks!
DJM

I saw your thread on Reddit and you handled yourself very well with so many of the comments. In particular, many of the negativity with how you're raising Caspian and how "selfish" it is among other things. I think you guys are the exact opposite of being impulsive and short sighted parents. You've clearly thought very long and hard about everything you are doing and there's no lack of effort. Many kids suffer in the cookie cutter school system and do much better in alternative methods, and vice versa. Just my 3 kids all respond very differently to school and need different approaches. What you're doing is very inspirational and I look forward to more of your travels.

Hourless Life

Enjoyed your reading your story and your build videos on youtube! I am curious where your rig wound up in terms of payload capacity?

Thanks!
DJM
Thanks for watching the build series. So we were extremely careful and still slightly over. I don't remember the exact number, I think Brittany posted it somewhere on our website though. But all that to say that we switched out the TeraFlex springs for Dobinson's springs that were based on the actual axle weights and actually provide us a buffer of over 330lbs from what we've got onboard when filled with fuel and water. That number I do remember. Anyhow, we're really happy with the build and the ride. If I can remember to track down that number for you I will. ~ Eric

Hourless Life

Hi Eric, Brittany, and Caspian,

This is nothing new when people say that “they have heard ..........”. With Mexico I have some experience with Mexico at now 72 years young. My first crossing into Baja was in my mothers arms at less then 3 months old. My parents would go down 2 to 4 times a month to TJ (Tijuana). Growing up next to the border it was a breeze to cross the border.

This continued for most of my life. It picked up when I had my 4X4 Driving School and Guide Service. I had 17 different trips to Baja, some were run 3 to 5 times a year. I also had 7 different trips to Mainland Mexico and the Copper Canyon trips and other locations, for up to 18 days.

I always got the same things said to me. As you said it is unfounded stories that people think is true. The people who say how bad it is, they have no clue what they are talking about.

It is sad that people do not ask the question. Where is the evidence? Name, dates additional proof. I always want to know where to trace down the statement, to see where it came from. When I do it is a dead end, not them or I can not find the source.

When this happens I also point out is there problems in Los Angles, San Francisco, New York, Portland, Seattle and Chicago. There are problems all around the world.

Now to a true story! I know that this is true as It happened to myself and some clients in Hermosillo, Sonora, Mexico. I have a copy of the police report we filled out to back it up. During a lunch stop local group of people did a smash and grab with out vehicles. What ever was not bolted down was taken from inside the vehicles. Probably all in less then a minute.

In the Copper Canyon we come across the drug lords check points every trip. They are checking to make sure that we are not part of a rival drug gang, using their drug routes.
They ask us where we are coming from, going to and if we are tourist? Generally they say thank you and we move along.

They do anything to the tourist it will bring in the big guns and they will take care of the problem. The tourist are good for the economy. They do not want to stop us from going to Mexico.

There are people who you will not go any further into the wilderness then their city park. Some people are afraid of their shadows. These people should limit their travels to not traveling.

I find that it is sad that people have a bad perception of the people of Mexico. I will also back-up what you said about the friendly people of Mexico.

I wonder if people see in the people of Mexico (or other countries) is a reflection of themselves.

I am retired from my business, but I still take people on trips with me to Mexico to share the fantastic experiences, made up of the culture, people, scenery the daily life.

Heck I have a group going to Baja in January 2022 for over a month. Then in April/May to Copper Canyon with a 2+ week adventure. I then have another Copper Canyon trip planned for September 2022 for Copper Canyon.

There is a positive side to the people that are so scared to cross the border we have less of these type of Americans in Mexico.

It has bothered me for so many years that people are spreading rumors that are unfounded. Your son, wife and yourself will have a honest and true understanding far greater then 99.9% of the people of the world when you finish your world adventure.

Do not let what the people say here effect you or your family. I have many friends in Mexico an they ask me why American people are afraid to go to Mexico? It is exactly what you said bad stories sell.

I almost forgot about a gang ring in the small town of Creel. This is a dis-organize group who has hit myself and my clients a few times. The young gang hits in the day and night. If you have the chrome tire valve caps on your vehicle they come up missing. You will always see plenty of the chrome caps on the kids bicycles. That is why I inform people traveling with me to use the black plastic caps, they do not want them.

On a personal note; I like that you are incorporating your religious beliefs in Caspian’s schooling.

Continue to enjoy your trip, the world is great!

Da Frenchman
Da Frenchman! Good to see you on the thread again. I'm so thankful for your contributions. Your words carry weight with them because of your experience and I always appreciate it when you take the time to comment. Thank you.

I'm excited for you that you have more trips coming up. At your "seasoned" age, you are an inspiration to me, and I'm guessing to many others as well. We are having a great time down here. We celebrated Caspian's birthday today. I might post about it in a bit. We broke a pinata and the whole nine yards. Great times. We had 5 local kids and their families over to help us celebrate. There is confetti everywhere!

We will keep on keeping on. We'll be in Guanajuato until the first of the year, then we'll make our way over to Puebla for a bit.

Please continue to be involved on the thread here. Always appreciate you. I think I've said it before, but we'd share a campfire with you any day. ~ Eric

Hourless Life

I saw your thread on Reddit and you handled yourself very well with so many of the comments. In particular, many of the negativity with how you're raising Caspian and how "selfish" it is among other things. I think you guys are the exact opposite of being impulsive and short sighted parents. You've clearly thought very long and hard about everything you are doing and there's no lack of effort. Many kids suffer in the cookie cutter school system and do much better in alternative methods, and vice versa. Just my 3 kids all respond very differently to school and need different approaches. What you're doing is very inspirational and I look forward to more of your travels.
Hey I really appreciate that. Didn't really know how toxic some of the people on reddit could be. Unlike any other forum I've been on. Appreciate the encouragement about Caspian. I might post something about his birthday here in a minute. Appreciate you being part of the convo here. ~ Eric

Hourless Life

Screen Shot 2021-12-03 at 8.26.21 PM.png

Today is my son Caspian's birthday. I posted this on my personal Facebook, but wanted to share it with those following our journey. Here is what I posted:

Happy birthday Caspian Theodore Highland. Today at 12:06AM you turned 5 in Guanajuato, Mexico on yet another adventure.

In case you are reading this someday, there are four photos here. I wanted to share some of my thoughts with you as your father.

Photo 1: Moab, Utah, USA. You were one year old at the time. Already you were in the drivers seat, a natural spot that you gravitate towards. You've always liked to lead, and for this I'm grateful. You are a natural leader son, and someday you may be called on to use this ability to help others. I have no doubt you will rise to the challenge.

Photo 2: Puebla, Puebla, Mexico. You were two years old at the time. You love reading and learning which has been proven out by you reading 1000 books before your 5th birthday. I am so incredibly proud of you son. The ability to read, and more importantly, the love of reading will bless you in life. If you love to read there is nothing you cannot learn. In this photo you are on your mother's back in Biblioteca Palafoxiana, the oldest public library in the Americas. Already at the age of two you sought out books and I pray this will always be a passion for you. You were delighted and curious here. Even at two years old you were embodying our family mission statement of "Love. Explore. Study. Share." My prayer is that you will use the knowledge you gain over your lifetime to bless others.

Photo 3: Somewhere along the Sea of Cortez in Baja California. You were three years old at the time. We were in a location so remote that it doesn't even register on Google Maps as of this writing. It just says "Mexico" on the map. But we were a good distance south of San Felipe along the water somewhere. For months we lived out of our Jeep like this, out in the wild, south of the US border and you were never afraid. You have been an explorer since the day you were born. You went straight from the birthing room of the hospital to a life on the road and have never known anything else. My prayer is that this spirit of exploration and fearlessness will never leave you. Right now you are traveling like this because your mother and father are doing so. My prayer is that you'll keep these qualities of wonder and fearlessness with you throughout your life. They will serve you well.

Photo 4: McKinney Falls State Park in Austin, Texas. This photo of you by the tree was the day you turned 4 years old. This is the city of your birth. It is a very special city to your mother and I. It is where we began our full-time travels in 2014. By this time in your life we marveled at your progression. The years of experience that you had by this time were numerous. You had already spent at least one night in all of the lower 48 States in the USA. You had been into Canada, you had overlanded 2000+ miles into interior Mexico, and another 2000+ miles through the entirety of the Baja Peninsula. By the age of four you had seen more, and traveled more than most people ever will in their lifetime. With experience comes wisdom son. You are already wise beyond your years. Wisdom is what will help you to make the right decision when difficult things come your way, and they will. Lean on your experience son. Trust what you've learned and remember that usually the easy route is not the right route.

Today you are 5 years old. Today you are on a global overlanding adventure with us. There is no telling what the future holds. But we do know Who holds the future. Never forget that.

I love you son. Happy birthday.
❤️

~ Daddy

I'm hoping that someday Caspian will join this forum and comment from his perspective. Maybe he'll run across his old man's post. ~ Eric

flyboyaviator

View attachment 695695

Today is my son Caspian's birthday. I posted this on my personal Facebook, but wanted to share it with those following our journey. Here is what I posted:

Happy birthday Caspian Theodore Highland. Today at 12:06AM you turned 5 in Guanajuato, Mexico on yet another adventure.

In case you are reading this someday, there are four photos here. I wanted to share some of my thoughts with you as your father.

Photo 1: Moab, Utah, USA. You were one year old at the time. Already you were in the drivers seat, a natural spot that you gravitate towards. You've always liked to lead, and for this I'm grateful. You are a natural leader son, and someday you may be called on to use this ability to help others. I have no doubt you will rise to the challenge.

Photo 2: Puebla, Puebla, Mexico. You were two years old at the time. You love reading and learning which has been proven out by you reading 1000 books before your 5th birthday. I am so incredibly proud of you son. The ability to read, and more importantly, the love of reading will bless you in life. If you love to read there is nothing you cannot learn. In this photo you are on your mother's back in Biblioteca Palafoxiana, the oldest public library in the Americas. Already at the age of two you sought out books and I pray this will always be a passion for you. You were delighted and curious here. Even at two years old you were embodying our family mission statement of "Love. Explore. Study. Share." My prayer is that you will use the knowledge you gain over your lifetime to bless others.

Photo 3: Somewhere along the Sea of Cortez in Baja California. You were three years old at the time. We were in a location so remote that it doesn't even register on Google Maps as of this writing. It just says "Mexico" on the map. But we were a good distance south of San Felipe along the water somewhere. For months we lived out of our Jeep like this, out in the wild, south of the US border and you were never afraid. You have been an explorer since the day you were born. You went straight from the birthing room of the hospital to a life on the road and have never known anything else. My prayer is that this spirit of exploration and fearlessness will never leave you. Right now you are traveling like this because your mother and father are doing so. My prayer is that you'll keep these qualities of wonder and fearlessness with you throughout your life. They will serve you well.

Photo 4: McKinney Falls State Park in Austin, Texas. This photo of you by the tree was the day you turned 4 years old. This is the city of your birth. It is a very special city to your mother and I. It is where we began our full-time travels in 2014. By this time in your life we marveled at your progression. The years of experience that you had by this time were numerous. You had already spent at least one night in all of the lower 48 States in the USA. You had been into Canada, you had overlanded 2000+ miles into interior Mexico, and another 2000+ miles through the entirety of the Baja Peninsula. By the age of four you had seen more, and traveled more than most people ever will in their lifetime. With experience comes wisdom son. You are already wise beyond your years. Wisdom is what will help you to make the right decision when difficult things come your way, and they will. Lean on your experience son. Trust what you've learned and remember that usually the easy route is not the right route.

Today you are 5 years old. Today you are on a global overlanding adventure with us. There is no telling what the future holds. But we do know Who holds the future. Never forget that.

I love you son. Happy birthday.
❤️

~ Daddy

I'm hoping that someday Caspian will join this forum and comment from his perspective. Maybe he'll run across his old man's post. ~ Eric

flyboyaviator

I just read your explanation on this subject of Mexico's dangers, the OP on that comment should read on what went on Michigan High School just a few day ago, but more to the point, most of those comment are written by people that never get out of their parents basements, and read all kinds of information, and they have no experience of the big wide world out there. I can only dream of doing what you guys are doing, much luck to your family.

Hourless Life

I just read your explanation on this subject of Mexico's dangers, the OP on that comment should read on what went on Michigan High School just a few day ago, but more to the point, most of those comment are written by people that never get out of their parents basements, and read all kinds of information, and they have no experience of the big wide world out there. I can only dream of doing what you guys are doing, much luck to your family.
Thank you. Appreciate you taking the time to read it. Sadly tragedy happens all over the globe. It doesn't mean the globe isn't worthy of exploration. I often think about explorers like Lewis and Clark. No 4x4, SATCOM, radio, cell phone, internet, no map of where they were heading to speak of and no idea what they would find. We have it SO much easier.

Hourless Life

Guanajuato-Small.jpg

Welcome to Guanajuato. The first time I've really had a chance to update on the city itself. Guanajuato is a magical city. Essentially the topography of the city resembles that of a bowl. The Centro Historico is in the bottom of the bowl, and the city rises up around it.

Interestingly enough, Guanajuato was raised almost 30 feet from where it originally sat. Underneath this city is a vast network of tunnels. Google Maps does not work here. The tunnels were originally used for drainage, but have now become part of the daily traffic pattern. We were lost for 2 hours inside the city itself trying to find a way to get to our airbnb.

Airbnb? That's not overlanding!

It is when you are making a 10-15 year global journey. At least it is for us.

(And our airbnb is right in the heart of the historic district about a 3 minute walk from this photo.)

We need to make the trip sustainable so extended stays in various cities around the world are part of our plan to make it so. Right now our 5 year old is in Spanish immersion school 2 days a week and Spanish preschool 2 days a week. Brittany my wife is also taking Spanish two days a week. I speak it fluently so I get. a pass on the language classes (at least for now).

We arrived in Guanajuato on November 15th, and we'll be here until January 1st. We are in love with this city. The city is alive with music, art, culture, and activity at all hours of day and night. There is a major theater that hosts free performances on the regular. We've been to several. Oh and the food here is incredible. It is truly a cosmopolitan city where you can get food from all over the world. In the past week alone we've had Italian, Hungarian, Thai, Middle Eastern, and Mexican cuisine.

This is our 3rd overlanding trip into Mexico in the past 3 years, but our first time in Guanajuato, and I have to say that it is so far our favorite city in this country.

Happy to answer any questions about the journey or the city if any come to mind. I'll try and get better about posting photos from time to time.

~ Eric

Hourless Life

Overlanding is really about the experiences not the vehicles. If you don't understand that you are missing what makes the lifestyle worth living.

Right now on our overlanding journey around the world we are in Guanajuato, Mexico. We'll be here for a total of 45 days. As such we decided to share the Top 10 Places To Eat in Guanajuato as our next video.

If you want to be enticed to come to Mexico, this ought to do it for you. ~ Eric

Hourless Life

Here it is! Our Top 10 Tips for Driving Through Mexico.

In this video we tackle the 10 questions we get asked the most about overlanding or driving through Mexico.

Hope this is helpful and if you have a question that isn't covered, please don't hesitate to comment and I'll do my best to answer you. ~ Eric

#hourlesslife #overlanding #visitmexico #mexico

redruby

I agree with your assessment and Frenchie’s that it is safe to go to Mexico. A few years ago I did the Copper Canyon trip with Frenchie and his account was spot on, I felt safe and comfortable but some of the others on the trip did not feel the same. I would not have any hesitation to go back again, the only thing that does bother me is that there was no translator from the government at the border crossing to help with the paper work, luckily we had a Spanish speaking person with us that was a great help

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles