Hopefully Alaska-Ready KLR650

Drumboy

I'm leaving tomorrow to ride to Alaska (trailering from Houston to riding buddy's dad's house in Athol, ID) with two of my good friends. A buddy and I are riding KLR650's and the other guy is riding a Super Tenere. Anyway here are the mods to my bike and some pictures:

Shinko 705 Tires
SuperBrace Fork Brace
Acerbis Supermoto Front Fender (Severely cuts down on bar wobble in cross wind)
Tusk D-Flex Handguards
Pro Taper Bars
Tusk 2" Bar Risers
Zero Gravity Sport Touring Windscreen
Schnitz 685 Kit
KLX Needle
142 Main Jet
Big Gun Evo R Full Exhaust
Eastern Beaver 3 Circuit Aux Wiring Harness
Progressive 465 Rear Shock
16T Front Sprocket

KLR650_01.jpg

KLR650_02.jpg

KLR650_03.jpg

KLR650_05.jpg

KLR650_06.jpg

KLR650_07.jpg

KLR650_08.jpg

KLR650_10.jpg

KLR650_11.jpg

I'll update with luggage when I get a chance.

zolo

Explorer
I'm jealous I did AK in 2010. Many bikes heading up and down. You will have a blast and meet so many cool folks and cool ADV riders along the way.

If you can do "Top of the World Hwy" its awesome and you enter AK on dirt its worth the trip further north outta Whitehorse. Good luck ride safe and have fun.

Kick *** bike BTW. Good ride for AK.

Drumboy

Well the trip didn't end like I wanted it to, but I still had a great time. You can read about our trip at AlaskaViaMoto.com

Here's the route we planned on taking:

AlaskaRoute.jpg

About 10 miles into Alaska after riding the Top of the World Highway the back tired seized up with no warning. We got a ride from an awesome gold miner to Delta Junction to check it out and found the oil had a lot of gas in it and no viscosity. The next day we got another ride to Fairbanks and dropped it off at the Kawasaki dealership. They got around to tearing it apart a few days later and I was hoping it just needed a top end. I had the parts ready to be overnighted and was lining up a deal on an 09 G650GS if it would take more than a couple days to fix and the kawi dealership would fix it & then sell it on consignment but got the word that it was in fact more serious. Once I heard that I got pretty down and decided to throw in the towel on this adventure and sold the bike & used over half the money to get home. Sucks.

20120627-195303.jpg

20120627-195310.jpg

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Such a bummer to hear how it ended for you.

At least you went for it.

Time to get another bike and try again eh?

steve578

It's funny to see this here today. I had lunch with Jason yesterday and he was telling me about the trip and your bike. I work with Jason, Dan, and used to work with Jerry.

I tell ya what I'm gonna do, I'm gonna keep the state where it is for as long as it takes you to attempt to conquer it again...

:bike_rider:

locrwln

Expedition Leader
I know KLR's have some issues, but I have not heard of one blowing up the motor. Any idea why? Was the 685 kit to blame/a factor? Just curious.

Sorry to hear about the trip. That sucks.

Jack

Jolly Roger

Adventurer
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. My ex and I rode to Prudhoe Bay and Inuvik two summers ago. Best ride I've ever done. If you get the chance to do it again one day go for it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94