hopefully a non biased opinion Transit vs sprinter

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
I get it. but really with vehicles like this what do you need AWD or 4wd for? Ground clearance for a forest service road? They are giant motorhomes. I would still get the promaster, park it, and pull the dirt bike out of it to explore waaay more than I could with any other vehicle. But yeah I get it, AWD/4WD better. ;)
No, I don't think you do get it.
How is it so hard to see that some people go to their local ski resort 3-4 times a week as a potential use scenario?
Or tow snowmobiles to the park and ride on the weekend?
Or have a slippery muddy 15 mile driveway,
Pulling a boat up a boat ramp?
Or?

86scotty

Cynic
EB is a nightmare to work on in a transit.

Looks like the OP has made his choice and I'm not trying to argue but anything newer is tough for the home mechanic to work on. I had one problem with my EB Transit in the 100,000 miles i put on it in a year, a bad torque converter. I pulled the subframe in my shop and had it rebuilt and that 's it. I did have the flex coupler done once but these are both known problems Ford has worked out.

OP, glad you found a van. The 3.7l has no issues that I've heard of, just not as fast or strong as an EB.

Enjoy!

85_Ranger4x4

Looks like the OP has made his choice and I'm not trying to argue but anything newer is tough for the home mechanic to work on. I had one problem with my EB Transit in the 100,000 miles i put on it in a year, a bad torque converter. I pulled the subframe in my shop and had it rebuilt and that 's it.

You are down south too which would help.

I have three Sr Master Ford techs in my family. In the realm of new stuff dealers see all three do not like the big Transit with the 3.5EB. Not weekend warriors.

'150's do it too but a '150 is a lot easier to work in. Not many Transit Connect campers around here, most are commercial vans that are loaded heavy and/or tow.

i delt with a 4.8 09 silverado with a flip pac and fully loaded for years. the min i got in the new transit to me it seemed alot more peppier! maybe im easily amused. if i can get 150k out of her in 10 years with no major problems ill be happy. After my wife went down the rabbits hole of the sprinters and their emmission problems and the dealers being hard to deal with with warrenty work i couldnt not ignore it like i have for the term of the search. I had the idea stuck in my head that i had to have a sprinter. You know how it goes though if the wife says no and you do it anyway and then she ends up being right......well not a path i want to travel down! ha ha. i think we will be more than happy with our rig. Weekend San o trips. yearly big sur camp surf trips and visit some nice national parks out this way in CA,NV,Az!

14K MILES 75k 72 month transferable warrenty and 48 month transferable maintenance package added up all the "bolt on store bought " parts and just about comes out to what i paid not to mention the labor. the fella thats doing these seems like a very nice guy trying to make some clean affordable weekend style campers in so cal. wish me luck!

will be a huge upgrade over the worn out chevy flip pac combo

Attachments

• 52264BEF-53BA-44BD-BE70-929FAE13055C.jpeg
    52264BEF-53BA-44BD-BE70-929FAE13055C.jpeg
    248.4 KB · Views: 65
  • 07304460-2AE8-4525-9B31-999B21929095.jpeg
    07304460-2AE8-4525-9B31-999B21929095.jpeg
    250.8 KB · Views: 65
  • 02F95B1E-84E9-47FF-BD04-0513FB6C1482.jpeg
    02F95B1E-84E9-47FF-BD04-0513FB6C1482.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 61

luthj

Engineer In Residence
I personally don't get the HP obsession. 50HP per ton is plenty for me. I will withhold judgement on the transit AWD until more details come back, but if its up to snuff, I think it edges out the sprinter in most aspects with respects to the diesel equipped options.

Now the sprinter is now available with a gasoline engine, but it doesn't look like it can be ordered with the 4WD or AWD options, though that may change next year.

I will be curious to see the fuel economy on the sprinter gasoline engines vs the ecoboost transit.

I suggest driving both, and comparing options/cost. Also availability. The 4WD sprinter is production limited by the Oberaigner factory, which cannot supply enough front differentials. That may change, but for now that means little or no discount from MSRP and difficult to source. If you have time a custom order is an option, but you will have to jump through some hoops to find a 4WD production slot.

The Transit is much easier to source, even the AWD model with a custom order.

As far as reliability goes. I would not consider the diesel powerplant on either. If you only plan to do less than 160K miles before changing vehicles, then they would be less of an issue. The reality is that the diesel powerplant costs more for less in most every way.

The sprinters drivetrain (minus the diesel emissions bits) is pretty much industry standard. Both the 5 and 7 speed are reliable transmissions installed in millions of vehicles. Axles and suspension are commercial stuff (ride is not fantastic), but that makes them durable. The interiors wear well, and are comfortable in my opinion. The climate controls are German funky, so read the owners manual.

The transit is standard ford as well. Not as well equipped as the mega-bling trucks, or the nicer SUVs. Seating position is different, which may be a pro/con depending on the person.

Last edited:

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I personally don't get the HP obsession. 50HP per ton is plenty for me. I will withhold judgement on the transit AWD until more details come back, but if its up to snuff, I think it edges out the sprinter in most aspects with respects to the diesel equipped options.

Now the sprinter is now available with a gasoline engine, but it doesn't look like it can be ordered with the 4WD or AWD options, though that may change next year.

I will be curious to see the fuel economy on the sprinter gasoline engines vs the ecoboost transit.

I suggest driving both, and comparing options/cost. Also availability. The 4WD sprinter is production limited by the Oberaigner factory, which cannot supply enough front differentials. That may change, but for now that means little or no discount from MSRP and difficult to source. If you have time a custom order is an option, but you will have to jump through some hoops to find a 4WD production slot.

The Transit is much easier to source, even the AWD model with a custom order.

As far as reliability goes. I would not consider the diesel powerplant on either. If you only plan to do less than 160K miles before changing vehicles, then they would be less of an issue. The reality is that the diesel powerplant costs more for less in most every way.

The sprinters drivetrain (minus the diesel emissions bits) is pretty much industry standard. Both the 5 and 7 speed are reliable transmissions installed in millions of vehicles. Axles and suspension are commercial stuff (ride is not fantastic), but that makes them durable. The interiors wear well, and are comfortable in my opinion. The climate controls are German funky, so read the owners manual.

The transit is standard ford as well. Not as well equipped as the mega-bling trucks, or the nicer SUVs. Seating position is different, which may be a pro/con depending on the person.

Torque is what moves it down the road. My 9k+ diesel only has 250 hp, but it’ll beat a 600 hp Crew-cab pickup across an intersection.

My 2 ton 4x4 started with a little over 100 hp... and they are legendary for their ability. Next motor had 300 hp and the current has 200ish... doesn’t get me anywhere faster. It’s nice to be able to climb any mountains without having to gear down ;) but not necessarily.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Rant loading, Please Standby.

Peak torque is meaningless. Its just a number touted by salesmen. The HP curve (torquexRPM) is the only thing that matters. I can put a cam on an engine that will double its peak torque and move it down to 1200RPM. Does that make it better? Absolutely not, the engine will be useless, as its max HP is a 75% lower.

HP is Power (kW), it stays the same regardless of how you are transmitting it (low or high torque is irrelevant). Torque does not, it changes via gearing. If torque is the correct measurement, then we should all gear our vehicles with 9:1 axle ratios! Power is Power. The best drivetrain is one where the powerband is always on tap regardless of vehicle speed. Thats why a gas turbine engine making 395lb-ft at 10k rpm with a CVT moves a M1 tank without issue.

With 7+ gears in newer transmissions, having a wide powerband matters less. In fact being able to operate the engine in a narrow powerband makes it easier to optimize efficiency (like industrial engines which have an ideal RPM).

Last edited:

shade

With 7+ gears in newer transmissions, having a wide powerband matters less. In fact being able to operate the engine in a narrow powerband makes it easier to optimize efficiency (like industrial engines which have an idea RPM).
On my list of People I Don't Understand: Buys new vehicle with a multitude of gears -"I hate that my transmission shifts all of the time."

luthj

Engineer In Residence
On my list of People I Don't Understand: Buys new vehicle with a multitude of gears -"I hate that my transmission shifts all of the time."

I get the same reaction from folks who hate "nanny" features, like lane departure warning or blind spot warning. More often than not, I find these are bad drivers, who don't like being reminded of it.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Rant loading, Please Standby.

Peak torque is meaningless. Its just a number touted by salesmen. The HP curve (torquexRPM) is the only thing that matters. I can put a cam on an engine that will double its peak torque and move it down to 1200RPM. Does that make it better? Absolutely not, the engine will be useless, as its max HP is a 75% lower.

HP is Power (kW), it stays the same regardless of how you are transmitting it (low or high torque is irrelevant). Torque does not, it changes via gearing. If torque is the correct measurement, then we should all gear our vehicles with 9:1 axle ratios! Power is Power. The best drivetrain is one where the powerband is always on tap regardless of vehicle speed. Thats why a gas turbine engine making 395lb-ft at 10k rpm with a CVT moves a M1 tank without issue.

With 7+ gears in newer transmissions, having a wide powerband matters less. In fact being able to operate the engine in a narrow powerband makes it easier to optimize efficiency (like industrial engines which have an ideal RPM).

You’re correct... torque where it’s needed is what matters. Hp and Torque figures used to sell/brag are irrelevant.

Take for wheeling, I find what it’ll do at 600 rpm is far more important than peak anything.

shade

You’re correct... torque where it’s needed is what matters. Hp and Torque figures used to sell/brag are irrelevant.

Take for wheeling, I find what it’ll do at 600 rpm is far more important than peak anything.
I'll carefully mention that the Tesla Model X has everything beat on that front.

I got modslapped the last time I stirred this pot, so I'll leave it at that. :)

1stgenoverland

Adventurer
14K MILES 75k 72 month transferable warrenty and 48 month transferable maintenance package added up all the "bolt on store bought " parts and just about comes out to what i paid not to mention the labor. the fella thats doing these seems like a very nice guy trying to make some clean affordable weekend style campers in so cal. wish me luck!

Here’s the certified Mechanics view point on the 3.7L transit. (I’m the mechanic) I wanted to buy a van, and The sprinter and transit vans were narrowed down. Medium roof, short wheelbase was what I was looking for. I didn’t want to be too long because I get into some tight spaces at times. I wasn’t worried about 4x4, but what I was worried about was reliability, and parts accessibility. I have not found Mercedes vans particularly reliable, and are very costly to fix if you did run into something. Not so with the ford. While interior trim and vehicle build might be slightly less quality then the sprinter, the drive train seems endlessly reliable with the 3.7 and six speed. No turbos, and no unreliable diesel emissions equipment. Everything on the 3.7L engine, is proven technology. There’s nothing new about it and it’s one of the last port fuel, injected engines on the market. That’s a bonus in itself. The engine technology is proven. All it really needs is a excellent quality oil, (I use Schaeffers) to keep the timing chains and tensioners in check.

I researched for 6 months, both vans. I even pulled a few of my stings in the mechanical world and was able to find some really good opinions. My decision ultimately was the Ford and I bought one. Short wheelbase, medium roof, 3.7, and a 4.10:1 differential. I think it’s a really good combination actually. How fast do you need to drive a van? It’s a van! And yeah the ecoboost might be more exciting, but it doesn’t get better fuel mileage then the 3.7 if your driving it excitedly. In fact, my 3.7 averaged 22MPG on my trip to Tuktoyaktuk, late this summer. I think that’s excellent fuel mileage considering the size and weight of the van. Not once have I thought it was lacking power either. It’s perfect for what I need.

Down sides I see in the van, is that the automatic transmission is difficult to service. It’s hard to break into the lines to flush it, and the transmission cooler is thermostatically controlled anyways, making it difficult to actually get fluid to pass through. The dipstick is in the side of the transmission under the van and a crossmember must be removed to sneak the transmission pan off to replace the filter. At this point, what I see as a solution, is to suck the pan clean every 30,000kms and top it up with fresh fluid. Might be over kill, but for me it’s cheap insurance even if you can only suck out 3 Litres of the 8 that’s in the transmission.

I also don’t like how low the rear shock mounts hang down and I wish I could get a basic leveling kit for the front. Those are just picky things though.

I love the van, I’m happy I bought it, and I would buy another one. I started out being more biased towards the sexy looking sprinter van but kept and open mind. Glad I made the choice I did. I’m curious what your first thoughts on your van are?

picking up tuesday i'll let you know. your mindset was where my non mechanic but familiar and able to do my services myself for the most part mind was... simple lack luster but hopefully no problems

Johnbonn

i delt with a 4.8 09 silverado with a flip pac and fully loaded for years. the min i got in the new transit to me it seemed alot more peppier! maybe im easily amused. if i can get 150k out of her in 10 years with no major problems ill be happy. After my wife went down the rabbits hole of the sprinters and their emmission problems and the dealers being hard to deal with with warrenty work i couldnt not ignore it like i have for the term of the search. I had the idea stuck in my head that i had to have a sprinter. You know how it goes though if the wife says no and you do it anyway and then she ends up being right......well not a path i want to travel down! ha ha. i think we will be more than happy with our rig. Weekend San o trips. yearly big sur camp surf trips and visit some nice national parks out this way in CA,NV,Az!

Very nice still enjoying it? Is it the medium or high roof? Looks like you have a lift? Who did you get it from? Is it the new awd version?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles