Hood Mounted Solar!!

$500 and no charge controller? Yikes!

I do like the design and if @2.ooohhh is correct they sound very durable if they are walk on design! I'll agree with a less vehicle specific which is why I like the 75-100w generic design that is removable from the hood for portable; I too need a constant solution for my NL fridge but since Victory is garaged 90% of her non-op time I'm connected to the charger.

I haven't found the b@lls to drill the holes in my hood yet and install the backing supports for the panel mounts but looking at quick detach pin mounts on the hood panel w/ Andersen Plug to the charge controller.

2.ooohhh

I do like the design and if @2.ooohhh is correct they sound very durable if they are walk on design! I'll agree with a less vehicle specific which is why I like the 75-100w generic design that is removable from the hood for portable; I too need a constant solution for my NL fridge but since Victory is garaged 90% of her non-op time I'm connected to the charger.

I haven't found the b@lls to drill the holes in my hood yet and install the backing supports for the panel mounts but looking at quick detach pin mounts on the hood panel w/ Andersen Plug to the charge controller.

I have no idea if this company’s panels are designed as mine are, but I would hope that they are given the price. $500 would buy both my panels, the VictronConnect charge controller and a spare hood from the scrapper. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kmrtnsn

Explorer

Charge controller is included, it's pictured above.

rruff

Explorer
Best way to go I think...

1f1162bb4f2ff0aa69ae7dc910f5c087.jpg

Charge controller is NOT included; extra $99 on the $419 and a total of $138 if you want the panel, controller, and vinyl hood patch which is "highly recommended" so you do not have to stick the panel to your paint option! Add tax and you have $600 dead presidents on the hood that is not removable/portable.

Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 8.59.56 PM.png

Looks like a solid piece of kit nonetheless; just a little heavy on the price tag for my blood and without knowing the controller specs there is not guarantee to upgrade panel input/output in the future!

Too many variables that do not fit my flow!

2 x Renogy or SolarSun Panels and Victron controller for same or less with twice the options and power!

krick3tt

Adventurer
It's only 100 watts? What is that in actual watts that it puts out, there are always losses from sun angle and wire gage and length.
Lers see some real life specs.

WRONG_WAY_DAVE

Always thought something like this should be offered from "the factory" as an option for these more serious factory off-roaders.
These guys are also using a 3m thermal tape that they claim insulates the panel from hood-heat.

IDK much about solar (yet), but I do know engine heat on some newer model vehicles is intense (and I live in Florida and Texas) so unless that thing is really well insulated, or it is model specific for that reason, IDK...

Conceptually--at first blush--does seem like a decent place to put it to clear up roof space.

Last edited:

kwill

Observer
I have limited experience with solar but I bought portable panels because: a.) I find I need to continually change the angle/direction to get maximum exposure to the sun; b.) I want to park my truck and trailer in the shade, if possible. I see lots of people with panels mounted on roofs or, in this case, on the hood. But, even in areas with no shade there is no way to adjust the angle for maximum exposure. What am I missing?

rruff

Explorer
I find I need to continually change the angle/direction to get maximum exposure to the sun

Buy bigger panels, and you don't need to dink around with them. In the summer you don't lose much capacity with a fixed horizontal panel.

Portables are definitely good for shady areas and winter. I plan to have both.

Red90

Adventurer
Always thought something like this should be offered from "the factory" as an option for these more serious factory off-roaders.
These guys are also using a 3m thermal tape that they claim insulates the panel from hood-heat.

IDK much about solar (yet), but I do know engine heat on some newer model vehicles is intense (and I live in Florida and Texas) so unless that thing is really well insulated, or it is model specific for that reason, IDK...

Conceptually--at first blush--does seem like a decent place to put it to clear up roof space.

It would be $3000 if offered as a option with a new Land Rover.

It's only 100 watts? What is that in actual watts that it puts out, there are always losses from sun angle and wire gage and length.
Lers see some real life specs.

Yep, 100w in perfect conditions and perfect angles; no over-heat conditions like engine time, etc; I'd bet 75w max overall average which is not bad but not for the price and "no portability" option! I would say it will surely be a good top off option for daily use on a single battery fridge option but still wayyyyyyyyy too much money.

I'm all about a hood mount but it needs to be ventilated and removable/portable IMO; 75w-100w panel on lockable quick release pins so when you get to camp it's tied into that Renogy portable fold-out while I'm parked in the shade:cool:. The last thing I want to do is park my nose into the sun all day.

So many factors; don't fault them as it serves a purpose but the permanent aspect of it is a complete deal breaker to meet so many other usability options.

Clearly doesn't apply to hood mounted panels and my square drop trailer couldn't fit much more.

Ton's of smaller rigid and flex panel options out there that produce tons of power!

It would be $3000 if offered as a option with a new Land Rover.

Nah, Cascade can give JLR a discount because they are making a ton of money from the Jeep Mall Crawler crowd on these things for sure! I've see so many Jeeps and Yotas in SoCal with flex permanent hood mounts in the last 6 months; same peeps with $12k suspension mods and almost zero off-road time. Not sure what many are charging up since a quick look doesn't appear to show fridge mounts or any parasitic draw components; maybe removable and stealth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles