Hood Mounted Solar Panels by Cascadia....anyone have in use?

I would like some input as to the efficiency of this unit. Stellar idea, however the heat generated by motor cab seems to leave me a bit apprehensive before buying. Has anyone had real time use of these and would care to leave input? For those unknowing, here is a link to their website:https://www.cascadia4x4.com/

reaper229

I would like some input as to the efficiency of this unit. Stellar idea, however the heat generated by motor cab seems to leave me a bit apprehensive before buying. Has anyone had real time use of these and would care to leave input? For those unknowing, here is a link to their website:https://www.cascadia4x4.com/
I don't have one but I don't think a hood is a great location for solar panel BUT if you don't have the space on the roof it's a good alternative.You might have more luck to get feedbacks on YouTube users.

Envoyé de mon Pixel 4 XL en utilisant Tapatalk

Johnston

Observer
I have two 80 watt panels on my hood for the past 2 years and it has worked great. I can leave my fridge running all week without starting my truck. The heat on the hood doesn't matter since you are not using solar when your rig is running.

roving1

Made my own with 2 80 watt panels. Heat from the engine is not an issue. Go take temp readings from panels in strong sunlight and sheet metal in strong sunlight. It's already roasting hot all the time whether the engine is running or not.

Running across the Altar Desrt in Mexico in 4-lo in 110 degree heat. The truck will never be more heat soaked than this and everything is fine. Close to the same amps as sitting in the sun engine off on a 70 degree day. The panels are ridiculously toasty in either scenario.

Better to put the panels somewhere else and fit rígids if you can. But if not it can work fine.

But I would make my own. The price for the ready made ones is insane.

PXL_20211009_201117702~2.jpg

PXL_20211009_202306133.PHOTOSPHERE.jpg
PXL_20211008_210810396.jpg

MountainBiker

Experience Seeker
Made my own with 2 80 watt panels. Heat from the engine is not an issue. Go take temp readings from panels in strong sunlight and sheet metal in strong sunlight. It's already roasting hot all the time whether the engine is running or not.
I like your setup! Which panel did you use, and do you have more details of how it's attached?

krick3tt

Adventurer
I have a foldable 100 watt portable panel that can go on the hood if I am parked. Would not permanently mount one there. Options for sun exposure are limited. If I want the vehicle in the shade the panel can be relocated for maximum exposure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles