Honda XR650L: Lightweight Adventurer

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the compliment, Scott. Not that I deserve any of the credit--the mechanic who built it up before selling to me really knew his stuff--but it's quite a runner. I've got a 58hp rear wheel dyno run printout, and it's under 300 pounds. A bit too quick for me to ride at anything close to WOT.

The nice build goes well with the fact that I can actually touch the ground on it, something which I can't do on most modern high performance dual sports. But it still seems to have plenty of suspension for fireroads and non-technical trails. All in all, the guy made good decisions and produced a really nice ride.

Attachments

• HondaXRbuildsheetsmall.jpg
    HondaXRbuildsheetsmall.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 88

Yumafolks

Looks great. I picked up a 2008 XR650L this last Aug 2013. All stock w/1019 miles. Had the same issues. I'm slowly making it my perfect trail bike. Keep in mind during desert season I chase my Boys in the Sand dunes with it. They ride a 2000 DRZ400 and a 2003 CRF230F. So under a super tight budget this is what I have done. Desmoged, Immixracing rear Rack, Bead locks, Kenda 760 front and rear(awesome in the deep sand w/ about 7PSI; Rock and dual track/jeep trail w/15psi and 20-25psi on street) 12volt plug mounted on new Tusk Fat bars (CR bind). I was able to mount a ammo can to over hang the back of the rack to cary a 1 gallon fuel can and a front tube on big trips plus I just ordered my new 4.7 clarke tank. Ive used gopro mounts and my lifeproof case to mount the phone on the handlebars for easy ref. until i find the right gps. So far its awesome and keeps getting better. 3100 miles now. 760's have 1400 on them mostly street and still look good

1stDeuce

Explorer
I'm sure Scott has plenty of demo bikes from KTM and BMW to ride... The BRP is long gone most likely... Hopefully someone is riding it around, and having adventures with it!! :)

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
Is this bike still in the EXPO stable? If so, has it met expectations? Has it seen much use?

Nope, no longer in EXPO's stable, it is now in mine and living the good life on the western slope, ODO as of this AM 8775 miles

IMG_20160717_203238.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles