Honda CRV AWD in the Sand?

4x4x4doors

Explorer
Looking for any feedback from someone with experience with Honda's CRV AWD system.

Upcoming trip to the beach with some sand driving planned. One of our group has an 04 CRV AWD and we are wondering how it might handle the sand. We are aware of the clearance issues but not sure about the AWD.

As I understand, Honda biases their system to provide power to the front wheels and then through hydraulics will shift power toward the rear wheels as it detects slippage in the front. I don't know if there is any distinction in Right to Left other than that provided by a standard open differential (wheel with least resistance spins).

Anybody able to provide real live experience? Or corrections to my explanation of how the system works?

Thanks.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
First and foremost you need to air down you tires. All traditional four wheel drive vehicles are only two wheel drive. The tire with the least traction gets all the power.
if you air down you should be fine.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Very limited power to the rear end its basically FWD with slight help from the rear once the front end is spinning. Air down pack very light and dont stop. Lol

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
It really depends on the year and generation of the AWD system. Honda has been trying to improve things for years.

When shopping for a small awd SUV a few years ago, I looked into this quite a bit.

I looked hard and long at a few rigs, including the CRV

It boiled down to the actual AWD systems.

Within our budget, she CRV's we looked at had awd systems that required slippage to work.

As in, by the time it senses slippage in the front it is quite possibly already too late, by the time the system transfers power to the rear.

And the percentage of power available to be sent to the rear was quite low if I recall correctly. 30% or so??

We wound up with a 2005 RAV.

Full time 4wd. Power to front and rear, 50/50 split, all the time. And it works incredibly well.

Sooner or later I might snag a LSD and swap it into this rig. Make it even mo-better

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
I wouldn't bring it. my 2009 subaru in sand dunes was questionable at best. had to dig it out a few times. If its a super late model, and they can drive, id say it should be ok though as long as he doesnt stop on soup

angend

Agree. I've been considering a CRV to replace my subaru, and the research I've done into the way their AWD system works suggests that your own understanding is correct.

If you're going to try it, like the other posters said, air down and pack light. How are the recovery points on the 04? It'd be one thing to attempt it without a way to easily get towed out/unstuck...

plh

Explorer
And make sure you have good tires for the intended driving. I have had several purchased new Honda AWD vehicles, 1998 & 2001 CRV, 2004 Element, 2007 & 2010 CRV. After the 2010 - would not buy another one. Dangerous in snow. They now come new with such poor tires, called it the skateboard in the snow. Tires were bald at 36K.

Dake21

Adventurer
I had a 2007 honda CRV. The AWD system is alright on road, most of the time. I say most of the time because the power transfer to the rear is unpredictable and there is no power transfer right/left. So when the road condition were too bad it was tumbling ( ballistic definition, not gymnastic :p ) Not sure about the older version, but when you air down below 28 psi your dash light come on and you cannot turn the traction control off.
It's basically a FWD vehicle that switch from FWD to RWD at 50% of the power.

Not only the AWD system isn't up to the task, high gearing and high end torque makes it less than good for any kind of offroad driving. You dont have any torque below 4500 RPM and you need low end torque to drive in sand.
I traded mine because its a pregnant honda civic and didn't do my homework before buying. It's a sedan.

PIC4GOD

Adventurer
I have personally owned a 2003 Honda CRV in the past. It was pretty good on fire roads as long as there wasn't anything off camber or too steep. The AWD system while it will work in sand, you will need to stay to the hard packed stuff. As soon as you get in the the loose sand you will overheat the AWD system. Good news is that if you do over heat it it will disengage. Just stop for an hour or so let it cool and you will be good to go again. Make sure you change the fluids after the run. DO NOT USE THE CRV TO RUN THE DUNES! Just use it to get to a camping location or place to hang out. It is not designed for driving in that environment continuously. The CRV is really designed as an all-weather on-road vehicle but treated carefully can go many places. Good luck and have fun!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles