Honda Crosstour?

MR. ED

Observer
Does anyone have any experience with these? Looking for a new AWD commuter, my 04 Outback gets a little uncomfortable after an hour. Thanks any input is appreciated. Shawn.

Scott Brady

Founder
They look like a nice alternative to a Subaru Outback.
Honda-Crosstour-AWD-Off-roa.jpg

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
We test drove one a couple years ago when shopping for an Outback-ish car. It had several attributes that I couldn't get over. For starters, it felt like I was driving the USS Nimitz. It's huge. It also had poor visibility on almost all sides, even across the massive hood. The rear blind spots could hide a Unimog in traffic. The deal breaker was the really long snoot. It bottomed out just leaving the dealership. Not good.

The best driving car of this class I've been in is the new Cherokee. I even prefer it over the Grand Cherokee. I think Jeep nailed it with the driving experience of the new Cherokee as it really does feel like an improved Outback on the road. The aesthetics are hit or miss, but the driving experience is super.

libarata

Expedition Leader
I test drove one last month. The lack of visibility pissed me off. In what way is the outback uncomfortable?

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
It really is a horrible vehicle, I would stay away from it. I've driven one on two occasions and I never want to get back in one as a driver nor passenger.

It's massive, horrible sightlines, numb steering, ride is soft but harsh (all new hondas have apparently adopted this ride quality for some reason), and it's just ugly in every single way you look at it. It's even pointless as a family hauler. The cargo area is awkward and the backseats are both hard to get into and are cramped for such a huge car it is.

As you can tell, I'm not a fan at all.

machine1

Explorer
Subaru just released a new Outback for 2015, have you looked into that yet? You're missing out on two generations of Outbacks.

I was looking at a Crosstour, but for $38K you could get a 4Runner Trail, Tacoma, Forester(got it for $28K), or even a Ridgeline. But if you want to be different go ahead, I'm done with recommending current Honda products after my current experience with both my parent's and in-law's Hondas.

MR. ED

Observer
Thanks for the replies everyone. The Suby's great and all it just gets a little cramped after an hour or so. I inherited it from my wife when she got a new van.
The Crosstour I discovered by accident online. Been fascinated with them since. Honda. Accord. Win. Win. I've never been in or around one. They looked roomy and are available in AWD.
I sat in a new Outback a few days ago and it seemed only a little bigger than mine. The Forester seemed a lot roomier. I need something comfortable and economical as I will be uping my already long commute to about 3 to 3.5 hours daily for school in the winter.
98% of the time I drive solo so cargo room isn't all that important.
I'm a little hesitant about another Subaru after dealing with the ice build up issue in the wheel wells on the Outback.

P.S. I think of the Crosstour as a poorer mans Panamera. Thanks again.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
My thoughts mirrior everyone elses here. Its huge with poor visability on all sides. I was going to say, have you checked up on the new outback. Ice builds up on every wheel well if you have the right conditions. Not an issue to only the outback. even in my jeep here.

altitudewrench

Drove one when I was replacing my 03 Outback. As all mentioned above, horrible visibility. Cost was insane for what you were getting in my book. I ended up with a 14' Outback. Once I drove the Outback there was no comparison. And if you actually plan to take it off road.............forget it.

libarata

Expedition Leader
I had ice buildup in my 05 Frontier, and before that in a 94 Ranger. As far as being cramped, how large are you? I am lucky enough at being 5'4'', that even my dads old '75 Beetle was luxurious!

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
I think ice build up is a problem no matter what vehicle you drive. We used to get it all the time on our Volvo XC70. Not only on the outside but inside of the wheel. The wheel would get so unbalanced you would have to pull over and poke out the ice between the spokes. We also had issues on my dads S60R.

I haven't had the issue with my SX4 yet. I think that's mostly in part to the wheels that just barely fit over the brakes and the tires that JUST fit inside the wheel wells. No room for ice to build up :p

MR. ED

Observer
I've never experienced ice build up in the wheel wells quite like the Outback. I've had older subby's. VW's, Mazda's while living in Michigan-Never an issue until the 04 Outback.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
98% of the time I drive solo so cargo room isn't all that important.
I'm a little hesitant about another Subaru after dealing with the ice build up issue in the wheel wells on the Outback.

If any vehicle has wheel wells there will be ice build up, I've had over a hundred cars/trucks and all got ice accumulation. Subbys come from the world of ice and snow, I'd think that's the manufacture designer's first thought, taking the kids to school in the snow.
If you don't like Subbys that's okay too, but ice build up doesn't seem like a really valid point for staying away from that line of vehicle. I have a Forester, nice travel vehicle, if you get a used one, change all fluids to specs bumper to bumper, check the timing belt, compression test and check the cooling system to prevent head gasket issues, other than that they should be good to go.
Might get an inverter and plug it in, there are some low wattage heated tape products for wrapping pipes, I've used them along the edge of a metal roofs to prevent ice dams, works well, you could apply that inside the wheel wells and avoid the ice issue on any vehicle. ;)
When mine gets built up too much I just get out and kick it off and go on. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior