Honda 919 ADV-Lite

OBS460

I'd like to start off with introducing myself, and a little behind the thought process behind building the 919 in this direction.

I picked up my 2005 Honda 919 earlier in the year, and found it to be quite good at many things while not truly outstanding at any one thing. A perfect blank canvas, with comfortable ergos and the legendary Honda reliability. Wet weight is down under 450lbs fully fueled, so it is also quite manageable.

Starting with general maintenance, I went ahead and replaced: the tires, chain/sprockets, wheel bearings, fluids/filters, spark plugs, and gave it a good once over to establish a maintenance baseline. For performance, I cut the header and installed a R6 Y pipe and added a PCV to balance out the fueling. Power delivery is much more tractable at low RPMs now, and the weight gained from the crash protection was offset by the lighter weight exhaust.

From there, I rode it several thousand miles (commuting, weekend riding, camping trips, etc) to get a feel for the platform.
IMG_20210611_204127_551.jpg

On my last camping trip, I rode around Lake Michigan in it's entirety along with ferrying over to Drummond Island. It was on Drummond that I realized the 919 makes for a decent ADV type bike, if ridden within it's limits. From there, my build took on this direction.

While off-roading on some mild Jeep Trails on Drummond, I made some mental notes on what I felt were the most pressing issues that needed attention. Lack of ground clearance, traction, and under engine protection were the three things I knew I could rectify without compromising too much on road handling.

OBS460

Ground clearance.

As the 919 is a sport oriented motorcycle, ground clearance is quite a bit less than I'd ideally want when traversing rutted Trails.

Taking a page from Ken's trans alp build, I spaced the front fork cartridges up 35mm and relocated the rear shock's upper mount bolt on the frame. I gained roughly 30mm of height in the front and 24mm in the rear, which also helped to stabilize the steering a bit more.
20210625_122747.jpg

2. Traction.

The Michelin Pilot Road 2s were great on the tarmac, but lacked sufficient 'bite' in looser conditions to allow me to rode comfortably at any reasonable pace. After doing thorough research, I ended up choosing a set of Avon Trailriders to replace the Michelins with. So far traction on the pavement is every bit the equal to the Michelins, while off road traction has improved to the point that I can ride on gravel roads without clenching too much.
20210625_113304.jpg

OBS460

3. Protection.

We all start out with the best intentions of staying shiny side up, but as we all know things can take a turn for the worse in a hurry. To that effect, I decided to add a plethora of protection farkles.

I sourced a pair of universal hand guards to fit to my Renthal Ultra lows, as to save the levers in a spill. While not the best quality overall, they should serve their purpose fine.

20210625_114130.jpg

To protect the engine cases, I added a pair of crash bars from the company Heed. Fit and finish is great, and they keep the bike more upright in the event of a spill. I like how their design has a crossbar for additional rigidity, but I still feel I need an additional bar up higher to protect the cylinders.

20210629_110532.jpg

Lastly, I added a skid plate. Unfortunately, I could not find any skid plates specifically for the 919 but what I did find was a skid plate for a 2012-2020 Kawasaki Versys 1000 made by T Rex racing. Knowing the bikes dimensions were similar, I decided to roll the dice and try it out. Much to my surprise, the skid plate fit pretty well. All I had to do was re drill the mounting holes and make a couple spacers.

IMG_20210630_121550_217.jpg

Next up is a trip out to the Rockies in 2 weeks!

D

Deleted member 9101

Awesome! I also like the fuel mileage better than the F150 when I'm off exploring solo. LOL

Ain't that the truth!!

If you wanna up your mpgs do a 520 kit with a +1 front sprocket and aluminum rear sprocket. My mpg went up and they performance went up as well.

OBS460

Ain't that the truth!!

If you wanna up your mpgs do a 520 kit with a +1 front sprocket and aluminum rear sprocket. My mpg went up and they performance went up as well.
I did do a 520 conversion, but I went with a 15/43t setup to help slow down 1st off road.

The best thing for mileage so far has been adding a Power Commander V and wideband O2 sensor. I jumped up 6-8mpg, and was able to get 49.6mpg at 75mph fully loaded with all my luggage.

Honda has them pig rich from the factory.

D

Deleted member 9101

Yeah..they do run rich...which is why you stink if you keep the under tail exhaust... it's like the exhaust literally stuck to you and made one smell bad...lol.

OBS460

Another important part of touring is comfort. The factory seat was decent, but I hated how slick the vinyl was and I wanted to reshape it a bit.

I decided to disassemble the seat, add in a gel insert, heated pad, and then recover it with a different material. All in all I'm quite happy with the outcome, for the $250 investment. The wrinkles did work themselves out after a few days of riding/sitting in the sun.

20210419_114700.jpg

Attachments

• 20210419_115704.jpg
    20210419_115704.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 17
  • 20210419_130716.jpg
    20210419_130716.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
  • 20210419_131157.jpg
    20210419_131157.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
  • 20210419_141920.jpg
    20210419_141920.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 20
  • 20210504_175058.jpg
    20210504_175058.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Cabrito

I come in Peace
The Avon tires are nice and dual use. I had them on my old V-Strom. I would love to see some real knobbies on your bike though. That would look sick.

OBS460

The Avon tires are nice and dual use. I had them on my old V-Strom. I would love to see some real knobbies on your bike though. That would look sick.

I had considered going to a TKC 80 or something a bit more aggressive, but I commute 300 miles per week for about 9 months out of the year. I didn't want to give up wet weather traction, or deal with the noise and vibration of something more aggressive.

Furaites

I gotta say, although I don’t own a motorcycle something keeps drawing me here to look and read. The lower cost of it all, easier maintenance and cheaper running cost is a huge appea. The bike looks nice, and you did a lot of good work on ‘er.

happy trails

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior