Homemade Roofracks.

Box Rocket

Nice, I like it. Just using the angles makes it look good even though you're using box tube and miter joints instead of bends.

Actually the legs are not box tube. I used steel that I had on hand for the project. I used up all my 1" tubing for the rack itself and still needed something for the legs. All I had left was some 2.5" box tubing that was used for my trailer frame. I cut some of that in half to create C channel legs. Notched it for the 'bend' so it isn't a full mitered joint.

Jean-Seb

Adventurer
Finally finished mine, simple design but I'm proud of it. :sombrero: I'll be adding more accessories to it as time goes by also.

smallPICT0101.jpg

smallPICT0108.jpg

smallPICT0105.jpg

ChrisInVT

Adventurer
Wow, I'm really surprised I didn't add pictures of my wooden roof rack to this thread, now I need to go dig up some pictures :D

debo75

It's aluminum and diamond plate, and uses generic rain gutter mounts. The only problem I had with it was the rack mounts were high carbon steel, and rusted. I had to touch them up with POR-15 a few times.

The rack was made by a friend of mine who builds aluminum boat towers as his day job. At one point we had six people up there tailgating, and the rack held up fine. I probably wouldn't do it again though. I think the rain gutters might be the weakest link. It mainly served as a mounting point for my Lightforce's, and as a place to stow muddy snatch straps.

467333473_m2zL9-M.jpg

467333387_r9hRU-M.jpg

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
That looks nice Debo, I've been thinking of something similar due to living near the water and seeing all the nice towers coming by on the boats.

I figure if they can hold up to that abuse, the light off-road work i give them should hold up fine!

dyogim

Explorer
Man I love this Tundra. Awsome truck sir!

Thanks! Minor changes to the truck hopefully in the near future, black out the wheels and side mirror covers, finish my push-button to manual swap of the transfer case, and finish my home-built two piece tonneau cover. The cover will be on rails that slide in and out when the tail gate is down. Once of the sections will have integrated folding legs to be used as a table. Then, installing the winch when I get it purchased....:smiley_drive:

Arvin G

Observer
Thanks! Minor changes to the truck hopefully in the near future, black out the wheels and side mirror covers, finish my push-button to manual swap of the transfer case, and finish my home-built two piece tonneau cover. The cover will be on rails that slide in and out when the tail gate is down. Once of the sections will have integrated folding legs to be used as a table. Then, installing the winch when I get it purchased....:smiley_drive:

Nice! Definetly look forward to pics of the tonneau cover.

mainlander

OK, here's mine. It's about 9 years old now. Materials are 3/4" DOM tube. It's heck-a-stout too. I've had up to 600+ lbs on there with no issues.

Molly017.jpg

And the mounts I made for it. Seeing what I've seen in this thread however, mine are a bit bulky.

Molly013.jpg

Also, I made a set of plans for those who want to make there own. You can download them here

Cheers.

Last edited:

4X4VET

homemade xj roof rack

OK!
Here is my homemade XJ rack, maybe a little heavier then what I would like(not too bad) but very though.

Attachments

• rackxj.JPG
    rackxj.JPG
    397.6 KB · Views: 346
  • rackxj1.JPG
    rackxj1.JPG
    399.8 KB · Views: 326
  • rackxj3.JPG
    rackxj3.JPG
    396.4 KB · Views: 257

Box Rocket

Mostly finished with my bed rack. Need to run wires for the work lamp and bolt in the tiedown track system.

Winter mode with the snowboard rack.
bedrack7.jpg

bedrack8.jpg

bedrack9.jpg

With old style Mombasa RTT mounted.
RTT_01.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles