Homemade Roofracks.

hdhp

Roof Rack Lights>>.

Hi, I am building my own Roof Rack and I am going to have 4 LED Cree 7" lights at the corners. My question is and I think I can do it but dont really know how, so Can I have two (2) seprate switches? One in the cab of the truck and one in the topper? I sleep in the topper and I would like to have light at my fingertips.
I searched the web and I might need a different switch?? Has any body here done this before?

Thank for your Input

HDHP

dcwn.45

Observer
IMG_1770.jpg
I fabricated this bed rack out of aluminum to give me 2 levels of cargo in the bed ,
I'm mounting my RTT on the rack which puts it just a couple inches higher than the cab.
I want to still be able to put canoes or kayaks on the Yakima rack.

Attachments

• IMG_1770.jpg
    IMG_1770.jpg
    541.2 KB · Views: 99

davis31052

Adventurer
Roof Rack

Here's mine. $80.00 ATV loading ramp and some scrap I had laying around. Still need to rig up a wind deflector cause she's a noisy one at 60-70mph.

rack2.jpgrack.jpg

Hnoroian

Observer
Hi, I am building my own Roof Rack and I am going to have 4 LED Cree 7" lights at the corners. My question is and I think I can do it but dont really know how, so Can I have two (2) seprate switches? One in the cab of the truck and one in the topper? I sleep in the topper and I would like to have light at my fingertips.
I searched the web and I might need a different switch?? Has any body here done this before?

Thank for your Input

HDHP

Yes you can when wired to the relay (all you need is the other switch and more wire) but ask in power and electrical, you will get a better answer.

Last edited:

Rezarf <><

Explorer
I am wrapping up my custom roof rack build. It has been a fun time. I need to give a big shout out to Gamaviti for selling me his mounting plates and 100 series Land Cruiser adjustable feet, it is all first class kit. Thanks again Gamaviti! All that is left is for me to finish the welding on the risers and fab up the mounting tabs for the removeable sunroof panel, paint and mounting.

img_0975-jpg.1459245

I am wrapping up my custom roof rack build. It has been a fun time. I need to give a big shout out to Gamaviti for selling me his mounting plates and 100 series Land Cruiser adjustable feet, it is all first class kit. Thanks again Gamaviti! All that is left is for me to finish the welding on the risers and fab up the mounting tabs for the removeable sunroof panel, paint and mounting.

img_0975-jpg.1459245
That is an excellent build! What size tubing is that you used?

Rezarf <><

Explorer
That thing is a monster, how much does it weigh. looks great

No more than 40-45 pounds. I'll add another few pounds by the time it's done (weld, brackets, hardware and paint) but 16 gauge HREW in mild steel weighs less than 0.70#/ft. All things considered this is very light for its capacity and dimension.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
It looks good. I'm guessing that your bends are from an actual bender, like a JD2 model 3 or something? I have one and highly recommend it to fab shop types.

You may not have thought about this at the time, but using 1" tubing allows easy attachment of "stuff" using the U-joint u-bolt style strap kits from a mid-70's Chevy/spicer driveshaft. They are 5/16" and have a flattened side that really matches the 1" tubing well. I have my RTT crossbars and some lighting mounted with them and love it. In my opinion they look better than the various hardware store options and I believe they have much greater quality control.

v_man

Explorer
What's up guys, here's my rack for my LX 470...

YvLAKZf.jpg

Like my super secure stack of 2 by 6's and my welding slippers?
nh4XD9i.jpg

My main motivation for making the rack was to have an attachment point for my awning. I also have my hi lift , gas cans , and shovel up there...

Ts9JyAD.jpg

We took the new rack up to Humboldt , everything was great, except it was noisy on the freeway...

OROzSAR.jpg

So I ended up cutting the front and angling it down out of the wind and adding some sheet metal as a deflector

3h57n8o.jpg

Some stats:

The weight of the rack is right 50 lbs
Cost was $80 in 1"x1" square tubing at .072 thickness
Plus another $100 in consumables, paint , cut off wheels , Coors Light etc
For a total of less than $200 for a roof rack

EPUVGsp.jpg

HelotesBert

Thanks I use a JD2 Bender and dies with an air/hydraulic ram for quick bends in heavy wall tube.

Thanks I purchased a 12 ton hydraulic pipe bender but it's not working out. I keep getting kinks in every attempt, even packed it with sand and still not working out. I'll have to locate a JD2 in S. Texas or order online.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles