Homemade Roofracks.

TeamDoty

Cpt. TeamDoty
This is a cargo rack that I made out of 1/2 and 3/4" thin wall conduit. (EMT) Just get yourself a conduit bender and have at it. Plus a welder. I use gas welding which I like more than electric.
View attachment 259186View attachment 259187

I've looked through this whole thread (all 50+pages) more than 3 times! I've sketched out and worked up numerous designs in CAD and I haven't been able to settle upon anything yet. But ^^^ this ^^^ design... very nice - I thank you... this is most likely the inspiration I needed to get mine all figured out. I was going to use E-Track between 1" tubing but it would create large regions of un-level floor for the rack... but using uni-strut like this would allow you to get tie downs around individual items in the rack - thus avoiding having to unstrap lots of items just to get to a single item - plus it keeps things relatively level. THANKS!!!

hansshanks

I was thinking about using etrack for the tiedowns like I do in my trailers but I wanted a flat floor. Thought about the airplane seat mount stuff. But was worried about mud thrown in the roof from the trail plugging it up. With the addition of the DIY beadlocks and 35s, it throw mud now

hansshanks

Finally got around to building a new roof rack for my 94 jeep grand Cherokee. Have about 200$ tied up in it with the light bar. It's 1x1 .90 square tube frame and 3/4 expanded metal decking. I wanted the light bar tucked up under neath to keep it protected from branches I often encounter on the trail. I also wanted it as close to the roof as I could get and keep it flat. I used the factory roof rail mounts. Got the idea from TheKsmith's wj a while back. Needed a place to put my tent cot for the over night trips and a few bundles of firewood. I am not in love wroth the tire downs but they are strong and effective. Also not living the look of the square corners. I think I'll be making a version 2 at a layer date once I get my tubing bender up and running.

The base mounts using factory rivnuts

Perimeter 40 inches by 60 inches

Building the base

Getting it low

Adding color

Somehow missed a tiedown on passenger side.

Drivers side had it

37 inch single row light bar tucked underneath nicely. Set back so there is zero glare on the windshield or hood.

Completed

Test fit of planned load. My trailer park math worked out. Load fits as planned. It's low to the roof as planned, and the light bar is protected.

hansshanks

No. But it is based off the flat land 4x4 plans. But I modified it a bunch. Incorporated a rear winch, and remove able Jerry can mounts. I also don't like the post style mounts like are most commonly used. I wanted a cradle style to roll my tires up into. I also incorporated lights into the bumper. I just figured it out as I went.

Here ya go. This is my first over the shell rack for my RTT. Built it last winter and worked great all summer. I'm building a 2nd gen version with some improvements. Going to go to aluminum or a thinner walled steel for weight savings (.120" is overkill!) plus some other minor adjustments.

IMG_7476.jpg

rayra

Expedition Leader
I searched and didn't see anything dedicated to home built roofracks. ...

? The Storage subforum has several examples both pictured in the stuck topic and featured in writeups.

I modified the factory rack on my Z71 to have a solid deck, mostly for the shade on the vehicle roof. It also breaks down into two backboards. And the handhold holes are placed over the added crossbracing in such a way as to create tie-down hook locations. See link in my sig for my build topic.

roofrack55_zpstb5vjfbu.jpg
roofrack52_zpsuhptawqv.jpg

Last edited:

Whitecloud

One day at a time
? The Storage subforum has several examples both pictured in the stuck topic and featured in writeups.

I modified the factory rack on my Z71 to have a solid deck, mostly for the shade on the vehicle roof. It also breaks down into two backboards. And the handhold holes are placed over the added crossbracing in such a way as to create tie-down hook locations. See link in my sig for my build topic.

roofrack55_zpstb5vjfbu.jpg
roofrack52_zpsuhptawqv.jpg

That is really well thought out. What was the material that you used?

Offroadmuch

Explorer
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/163178-DIY-Roof-Rack-Gen-3
Very basic but strong and light weight. You could add a basket, box or other rails to attach whatever. I took a piece of 1" plywood and varnished the whole thing for some weather protection and have it ready to mount when I want to carry large objects. I use some very sturdy ratchet straps to hold things down. The plywood gets bolted down to the permanently attached wood rails that I added shown here. Kind of a simple, minimal approach. Good luck.

damienperu

Observer
Does anyone have any first hand experience of which type of teflon would be best for separating the aluminium rails of my upcoming roofrack from my steel roof it will be bolted to? I was thinking of PTFE teflon, but I'm mostly worried about real world UV resistance with muck and grim included. I want it to last at least five years.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I have been looking around and I remember about a tubing system that is almost like what AEV/Rhino rack uses to make their racks out of. Anyone got a link to that.? Rhino does not make a rack the size I want so I figure order up the material and build it myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles