Homemade Rear Cargo Storage Solution

mattmainster

Observer
For weeks, I've been brainstorming, sketching, designing and using Google Sketchup to come up with the most practical rear cargo setup for my rig.
Finally, I came up with a design and made it come to life.

Some of my requirements for the setup were:

• Space for ARB Fridge/Freezer to mount and still be accessible
• Drawer large enough to hold tool kit, recovery straps, hi-ift base, shackles, C02 tank fittings/hose etc...
• Cover only the rear cargo area without having to remove back seats.
• Easy to remove & install on my own.
• Leave access to the compartment where the bottle jack is and where the diff breather will be
• Keep the inverter usable.
• Lockable drawer
• Space to mount my 10lb C02 Tank

Just a few notes...

Everything is made from 3/4" plywood. The drawer slides are rated for 100lbs fully extended. The unit is bolted to the floor in 2 locations where the d-rings were previously, and is held don in the rear by a turnbuckle connected to one of the d-rings in the back.

I have a flat-head extension cord that fits in the inverter outlet that is long enough to be run anywhere in the vehicle.

The carpet was stuck down with contact cement and then stapled.

If I didn't have such a hard time finding the right carpet, the whole thing could have been done in about 6 or 7 hours and the whole thing cost me just under $100.

There are still a few finishing touches to be done:

• I will be adding a lock to the drawer.
• The existing handle will be swapped for a black, flush-mount handle.
• Two 12V sockets will be flush-mounted to the box..one will be used for the fridge..
• Tie down points or d-rings will be added to hold the fridge down even though it fits very snug
• I'm sure I'm forgetting something....

Anyways, here are some pictures. If you have questions, ask away!

Just getting started...
IMG_0498.jpg

Basic frame
IMG_0502.jpg

Test Fit
IMG_0503.jpg

Finished
Library-8817.jpg

Library-8819.jpg

Library-8822.jpg

Crikeymike

Adventurer
Looks good. I think because you've kept it nice and simple, the weight probably isn't much of an issue, and having the fridge nice and low is good.

I should also bring up a "cheap" drawer slide method. TruckVault uses small embedded wheels into the base under the drawer, and the rear upper section of the drawer as well to counter the weight when the drawer is out. It's like a caster that's half embedded into the 3/4" plywood, with just the caster sticking out, so the drawer slides in and out on small casters instead of roller slides like you used. I know what you used would be smoother and straighter, but for those who are making bigger and heavier drawers, the caster idea definitely works. http://www.truckvault.com/Support/Info/Care/Default.asp

rollers.jpg

Last edited:

mattmainster

Observer
Crikeymike said:
Looks good. I think because you've kept it nice and simple, the weight probably isn't much of an issue, and having the fridge nice and low is good.

I should also bring up a "cheap" drawer slide method. TruckVault uses small embedded wheels into the base under the drawer, and the rear upper section of the drawer as well to counter the weight when the drawer is out. It's like a caster that's half embedded into the 3/4" plywood, with just the caster sticking out, so the drawer slides in and out on small casters instead of roller slides like you used. I know what you used would be smoother and straighter, but for those who are making bigger and heavier drawers, the caster idea definitely works. http://www.truckvault.com/Support/Info/Care/Default.asp

rollers.jpg

Thanks! The whole thing, even with the drawer in, cn be installed and removed by myself. My guess is that it weighs 50lbs or so....I'll try and weigh it tonight.

I like the idea of those casters, but it looks like something that would have to be factored in when drawing your original plans. The slides I'm using are rated at 100 lbs. I can't imagine having anything that weighs that much in the drawer.

Crikeymike

Adventurer
mattmainster said:
It's bolted down through the floor where the factory d-rings used to be, and held down in the rear by a turnbuckle.

Inside of the drawer cavity, or to the side of the drawer? Is it awkward to get it installed/removed?

I want to do something similar in my sidekick, but I'll have to figure up some mounts since there's no factory holes or threaded holes to work with.

mattmainster

Observer
Crikeymike said:
Inside of the drawer cavity, or to the side of the drawer? Is it awkward to get it installed/removed?

I want to do something similar in my sidekick, but I'll have to figure up some mounts since there's no factory holes or threaded holes to work with.

One bolt is underneath where the drawer sits, and the other is on the flat platform on the left where the fridge sits. To access the one under the drawer, the drawer has to be removed (very easy to do).

JamesDowning

Explorer
Great work! I need to get myself a fridge, though the cooler works for now I guess.

I had actually just built my own version of a rear cargo drawer:

rca11.jpg

As is, I have about 80 lbs in the drawer. I can't see storing over 100 lbs ever.

In case you haven't thought about this, I used retaining pins (made for sliding doors) on the side of the box that engage detent holes in the drawer (to hold the drawer in or out). One is visible in the pic below.

I also wanted to retain use of my under-deck storage tub, so I had to build a small hatch.

rca14.jpg

I left a small cavity between the seat and the drawer. I will be mounting an inverter, a compressor, and a small deep cycle battery back there.

Cheers!
cheers.gif

Colorado Ron

Explorer
mattmainster said:
Got to use the drawer setup this weekend in Anza Borrego...here are a couple more pictures:

09-051.jpg

09-053.jpg

09-054.jpg

I dont see your latest copy of Overland Journal anywhere? Isnt that required? I thought I read that somewhere.LOL:shakin:

JamesDowning

Explorer
445433.jpg

Yep very similar to the festool version.

systra1.jpg

http://www.bti.de/english/static/shortcuts/systra.asp

I'm a power-tool engineer, and I see all sorts of cases cross my desk or the halls of the building. We rebrand some of our tools for other companies, including BTI. Their Systra Modul was perfect to make a compact and easy to carry emergency kit. So I yoinked a few of the cases for personal use. I carry military food rations (MREs), a bit of water, a medical kit (with IV), and survival gear in those 3 cases.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94