Home Page Topics relative to Bicycles?

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I have some very good news to present to all of you here in the bike corner of ExPo. We are days away from a rather radical revamp of the home page of ExPo, a project that has been in the works for many months. Central to the new face of ExPo is a dedicated section for Human Powered Travel. You can read that as primarily bicycle travel.

With that in mind, are there any particular topics or products you'd like to see featured on the ExPo home page?

Shoot me a PM. If you would like to become a contributor with either product or adventure story features, that too would be fantastic. And don't forget to invite your riding pals to the Home Page. The more traffic we get, the stronger we become, the more resources we'll be able to assemble for more features and better editorials.

southpier

Expedition Leader
trailers. not the ubiquitous "coffin-on-wheels", but something that might actually be useful.

Navman

Adventurer
e-bikes, meaning electric assist. Hugely popular in Europe and now coming to the US. While diehards may scoff at the idea, they sure are fun (fatbike fun) and a great way to commute.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
trailers. not the ubiquitous "coffin-on-wheels", but something that might actually be useful.
Aye....I was afraid that subject would pop up. :) We'll have to recruit a trailer lover for that one. I did one 500 mile tour with a trailer and sold it within days of ending the ride. I'd buy another one just to beat it with a hammer for an afternoon. I loathed that thing (Yak) by the end of the tour.

They are a very relevant option and serve many people well. They certainly have their place in adventure cycling.

One, two, three.....NOT IT!!! :)

haven

Expedition Leader
Is the section focused on tools for travel, or can it include trip reports? I enjoy reading about other people's adventures.

People started bicycling long distances before automobiles came on the scene. For example, the first USA transcontinental auto trip was in 1903. The first such trip by bicycle was in 1884.

A friend rode the Trans-America Trail one summer between college and graduate school. 20 years later, she still talks about that experience.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
The new Human Powered section will have sub-categories for "vehicles," gear, skills, routes, and adventures. I'm most exited about the adventures to featured.
Is the section focused on tools for travel, or can it include trip reports? I enjoy reading about other people's adventures.

People started bicycling long distances before automobiles came on the scene. For example, the first USA transcontinental auto trip was in 1903. The first such trip by bicycle was in 1884.

A friend rode the Trans-America Trail one summer between college and graduate school. 20 years later, she still talks about that experience.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
-Airline travel with bike and gear.
-Folding bikes and ss couplers.
-Diet and food selection.
-Safety and security; lights, PPE, locks, ect.
-Cargo bikes

Last edited:

Flagster

Expedition Leader
-Airline travel with bike and gear.
-Folding bikes and ss couplers.
-Safety and security; lights, PPE, locks, ect.
-Cargo bikes

Second the airline travel...IMBA used to keep a nice chart on cost to fly...
We travel quite a bit with our bike and the cost is getting pretty steep...75$ one way is still the cheapest we have found...
Right now I am experimenting with packing our road and tri bikes into regular hard luggage and skipping the bike cases...

YotaPilot

Adventurer

+1. I do triathlons and as they say, the fourth discipline of triathlon is nutrition. I am just getting into Expedition biking and would like to see more of how people handle nutrition over multiple days of travel.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Second the airline travel...IMBA used to keep a nice chart on cost to fly...
We travel quite a bit with our bike and the cost is getting pretty steep...75$ one way is still the cheapest we have found...
Right now I am experimenting with packing our road and tri bikes into regular hard luggage and skipping the bike cases...
Superb ideas.

Airline Travel- I have two new bike cases that I'll be reviewing from Thule and TriAll3. I've also flown at least 50 flights with my bike. Many lessons learned....the hard way.

Folding bikes- That is a tough one. Most are so specifically built for urban use. Plus, they're often made by small companies with too few demos to offer for a proper test. My budget simply doesn't allow me to buy one for a short term piece. I'll work on that one, though.

Diet - I did one piece on fuel and fluids for bikepacking, but there's ample room for a follow up.

Cargo bikes - I'm a little out of my depth on this one and may have to look for a secondary resource. My brief term with a Big Dummy lead me to believe I would never be able to tour on one of them. I know people have, but I struggle to see the merits of that format - personally. Maybe someone could help me with that.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
What do you thing of a few pieces on technical apparel for bike travel? I just dropped a ridiculous amount of money on technical layers for my July trip to Iceland with my fatbike. I spend weeks looking over my own inventory and the new stuff on the horizon. I have to keep my total load below 20 pounds to accommodate my camera gear and technical apparel considerations were central to that goal.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Superb ideas.

Airline Travel- I have two new bike cases that I'll be reviewing from Thule and TriAll3. I've also flown at least 50 flights with my bike. Many lessons learned....the hard way.

Some of the new "soft bags" from EVOC and BIKEND are interesting...
I have some friends who have had good and bad results with this type of bag but with the airlines reducing size and weight limits more frequently, any weight savings helps and increases the additional things you can bring along.

Amtrak and Ferry travel information would be useful also...
I used to use the Washington Ferry Systems quite a bit to ride on Vashon and other islands
Not sure of what restrictions Amtrak places on bikes but there was a cool thread recently about throwing the bike on the train...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94