Home made solinoid box?

mantree91

I got a smoking deal on a (ab)used smittybilt winch. It's not too bad but they somehow wrecked the plastic box that houses the solinoid. Has anyone ever built a replacement box? What did you use?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

RedF

Adventurer
I got a smoking deal on a (ab)used smittybilt winch. It's not too bad but they somehow wrecked the plastic box that houses the solinoid. Has anyone ever built a replacement box? What did you use?

Does your winch use the typical 4 solenoid setup? This would be an opportunity to upgrade to a contactor type solenoid and do away with the enclosure all together.

mantree91

Does your winch use the typical 4 solenoid setup? This would be an opportunity to upgrade to a contactor type solenoid and do away with the enclosure all together.
It is a single unit. You are saying it can be run without a box for protection?

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
It's going to take 4 DC power solenoids (also called golf-cart solenoids), about $50.

winch 2 post solenoid diagram__81580.1560360886.jpg

CampStewart

Observer
I agree 100 percent. Even if you have the original solenoid pack one or more may be internally damaged from the blow that took out the enclosure. It may work fine now but I wouldn't trust it out in the middle of nowhere in bad weather conditions.

RedF

Adventurer
It is a single unit. You are saying it can be run without a box for protection?

I ran one for several years "exposed", only bolted to the front of the rad support.

Last edited:

mantree91

I guess I'll look in to getting a new one, even if I just keep it in the tool box like I do with a spare alternator.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I ran one for several years "exposed", only bolted to the front of the rad support.
A photo may help explain what you're talking about when you say replace the 4-solenoid package with an enclosed contactor. There are variations on the exact brand, model and connections but the essential part is they are sealed unit that can completely substitute functionally for the original solenoids.

DC88P-1000.jpg

Reactions: plh

plh

Explorer
A photo may help explain what you're talking about when you say replace the 4-solenoid package with an enclosed contactor. There are variations on the exact brand, model and connections but the essential part is they are sealed unit that can completely substitute functionally for the original solenoids.

View attachment 530924

yep, I mounted mine on the engine side of the radiator support

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz