Home made awning

bfoxg8r

Observer
That's just what I've been looking for!

I just made a Home Depot run, and ordered a super heavy duty tarp.

Total cost $32.

I'll post some pics when I'm finished.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Very cool.

One thing I think I would do, which isn't mentioned on the link, is to drill a bunch of drain holes in the bottom of the PVC.

VikingVince

Explorer
Yeah, good idea and easy to do...thanks for posting that.

Rain could easily get in that long slot...he didn't mention it, but I think I'd drill some drain holes in the bottom of the PVC sewer pipe.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
VikingVince said:
Rain could easily get in that long slot...he didn't mention it, but I think I'd drill some drain holes in the bottom of the PVC sewer pipe.

I third that idea! ;)

Funrover

Expedition Leader
So has anyone here done this? How does the inside look without the tarp? I am not totally understanding how it works??????

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
Funrover,

It looks as though the PVC pipe is smooth inside and its only purpose is to house the tarp.

And I would reccomend drilling holes in the bottom for drainage.

:elkgrin:

RHINO

Expedition Leader
funrover, i made the same thing myself about 8 yrs ago,, its prolly on mud still but i dont have the couple pics of it.

the rod, at least on mine, runs all the way through and the tarp is attached to it. mine is 3" PVC and i used 1/2" electric conduit for the center that i wind the tarp around.

the only problem i really had with it was sagging in the AZ sun, i originally had it mounted at the ends to my roof rack, but had to add a middle hanger for the sagging. i no longer run the roof rack, and have since taken the contraption apart to use just the tarp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke