Home Depot Flatbed Camper Build...

Rebuilder

Builder of Things That Interest Me
This is outstanding in every way!

Not only is your truck a right little gem, you then applied your wizardry to make it a 4x4!

Your mastery of aluminium welding is evident in just how good it all looks!

All this truck and camper goodness... And that hyper-interesting motorcycle too!

Thank you for the link, I don't doubt that it'll be remarkable! Subscribed.

Thanks for the compliments, they're very much appreciated. I always see the flaws in what I build which I guess helps me try to improve next time around... always learning.

Rebuilder

I've got some catching up to do.....

Quick side note for anyone drilling hundreds of holes in aluminum or anything really. Put a rubber vacuum cap on the bit so the chuck doesn't mar the aluminum when drilled through (y)

KIMG1058.JPG

Next was the front roof panel. This one will be more visible so I decided to install it from the inside so it matches the sides. Installed with VHB, flush countersunk rivets and silicone.

KIMG1049.JPG

KIMG1048.JPG

The rivets should be pretty much invisible after I paint the frame.

KIMG1051.JPG

Still using the temporary actuator until I can get the other ones installed. There will be one near the middle on each side instead of one at the back like it is now.

KIMG1053.JPG

Here you can see the countersunk vs standard rivets. I'll probably fill the hole in each rivet with epoxy or sealant.

KIMG1060.JPG

I'm vinyl wrapping the panels to match the truck and the frame will be textured grey... exact color TBD.

KIMG1063.JPG

KIMG1065.JPG

KIMG1066.JPG

Next is side panels and the door....

ITTOG

Great work, it is looking good. Where did you get those countersunk rivets?

Have you figured out what weather stripping you are going to use on the roof?

Rebuilder

Since it looks like you are planning on sewing cord in at the top anyways, could you do a similar thing at the top with Keder rail, and just slot the tab portion for adjustability at your screw points? If you are concerned about pull or pinch lines, you could cut the rail into sections for additional tension adjustments at specific areas?

I could add a rail at the top but I think it'll be easier and more adjustable if I just pull the canvas tight and use screws. I do like your idea and I may try it depending on how well the sewing goes for the lower rail. I have a good sewing machine but lack a good working area for such a large job so I may keep it simple and sew as little as possible.

Great work, it is looking good. Where did you get those countersunk rivets?

Have you figured out what weather stripping you are going to use on the roof?

Thanks. I got the rivets from Mcmaster Carr.

Not sure on the seal yet. I'm thinking a small bulb seal around the outer edge or a larger bulb seal like this....

Option 1
Seal Opt1.JPG

Option 2
Seal Opt2.JPG

The tapered hard rubber bumpers are to help align the top as it comes down as well as a resting point while it's down. There's only an 1/8" gap so option 1 would seal that up but wouldn't allow for inconsistencies or movement while driving . Option 2 uses a larger bulb seal which would allow for more movement but might rub on the canvas which isn't ideal. I may be overthinking this haha.

ITTOG

I could add a rail at the top but I think it'll be easier and more adjustable if I just pull the canvas tight and use screws. I do like your idea and I may try it depending on how well the sewing goes for the lower rail. I have a good sewing machine but lack a good working area for such a large job so I may keep it simple and sew as little as possible.

Thanks. I got the rivets from Mcmaster Carr.

Not sure on the seal yet. I'm thinking a small bulb seal around the outer edge or a larger bulb seal like this....

Option 1
View attachment 654805

Option 2
View attachment 654806

The tapered hard rubber bumpers are to help align the top as it comes down as well as a resting point while it's down. There's only an 1/8" gap so option 1 would seal that up but wouldn't allow for inconsistencies or movement while driving . Option 2 uses a larger bulb seal which would allow for more movement but might rub on the canvas which isn't ideal. I may be overthinking this haha.
I was hoping you had the answers. My build is a pop top without the pivot and figuring out the weather stripping is the biggest unknown at this point. I first tried a double bulb but it is a hard durometer so it doesn't compress much and worries me. The latest idea is the stuff at the link below. It seems like it is too soft though.

Rebuilder

I was hoping you had the answers. My build is a pop top without the pivot and figuring out the weather stripping is the biggest unknown at this point. I first tried a double bulb but it is a hard durometer so it doesn't compress much and worries me. The latest idea is the stuff at the link below. It seems like it is too soft though.

I'll probably go with Option 2. I think the larger "bulb" will have more leeway for movement and small variations in the seam.

Rebuilder

The subfloor is in and I started on the the back. I'll be adding foam to the floor to bring it up to the bottom of the door. Can't remember if it's 1.5" or 2" but either way it'll be plenty. There will be enclosures for the hydraulic rams on the left and right and a recess for the spare tire in the middle. The rams will lift the camper off the flatbed on extension and lift a motorcycle platform on retraction. That's the plan anyway, more on that later.

KIMG1099.JPG

KIMG1100.JPG

KIMG1101.JPG

KIMG1102.JPG

KIMG1103.JPG

KIMG1105.JPG

This is one of the things I was really looking forward to doing. So far I really dig it.

KIMG1108.JPG

I've got 35" but a 37" will fit (y)

KIMG1110.JPG

Lots more to do but I broke my hand mountain biking last week so progress will be slow for the next few months ☹

Last edited:

llamalander

Noooooo! this is such a great project! Do you know anyone else with hands to keep it going?
But really, sorry to hear that--hope it grows back right & quick.
Maybe you can just spend the time showing us what else you have in your garage...

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Wow, this build is epic. I am really liking the way this is turning out and the overall shape and aesthetic is really functional and rugged looking. Well done!

kerry

Expedition Leader
Great work. Your vinyl wrapping inspired me. I'd never done it before but we have a 94 Landcruiser and the UV here in Colorado had burned through the clear coat on the flat surfaces. I'd painted it once but it burned through again. So I bought a piece of vinyl the same color as the truck, and presto the hood is now looking great for $50. Probably do it on the roof in the future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles