Home Depot Flatbed Camper Build...

Rebuilder

Builder of Things That Interest Me
Hello Everyone! This build sorta started out of winter boredom and is escalating pretty quickly so I'm pretty excited to see how it turns out. I've always liked the practicality and look of flatbed trucks so one day a few months ago I decided to see what I could find on Craigslist and after a short search this one popped up. I could tell right away that it was in great shape, had low(ish) miles and was right in my impulse buying price range so I went and took a look and ended up bringing it home. It's a 2WD 2008 F350 former Home Depot rental truck with 114k miles and I think it'll be perfect for starting a new build. I'm also in the middle of converting a 2001 E450 ERV but it's cold in Minnesota and that one won't fit in my garage so I figured this build would keep me occupied until I can work outside ?

Here's what it looked like when I brought it home. Not bad although the tires were bald and someone bent the front of the flatbed back at some point. Thankfully those things won't be needed where we're going... well I need tires but not those little things :giggle:

KIMG0878.JPG

I didn't take any pics of the next step for some reason but yada-yada-yada it turned into this. I swapped in a complete (12k mile) front axle from a salvage yard , a rebuilt manual shift transfer case, new driveshafts, a 3" lift and 35" Nitto Ridge Grapplers on some 18"x9" Bronze "Mayhem" wheels. I'm not a fan of fake beadlocks but they'll do. For those wondering, all the 4wd stuff bolts right up with basically no mods needed. It took a weekend to do the swap with the exception of getting the correct T-case and finding someone to make a new rear driveshaft. Making the shaft ended up happening pretty fast but actually finding a shop that would call me back was tough. Anyway moving on...

KIMG0897.JPG

Up next while I was still contemplating what I wanted to do for the actual camper was I figured I'd wrap it. I've always liked the beige Tacoma's and I've never wrapped a vehicle so I thought I'd give it a try.

KIMG0904.JPG

KIMG0907.JPG

KIMG0909.JPGKIMG0910.JPG

Once I got the hang of it it wasn't too bad but I'm glad I didn't have to do a whole truck. After getting what I could reach of the wrap done I started prepping the flatbed by removing the fold-down sides and cutting off the bent hoop from the front. I'll finish the wrap when I remove the flatbed to add a spring mounting system.

KIMG0932.JPG

I think that's it for now but here's what the plan is..... I'll figure out the window placement and explain things in more details as the build progresses.

F350 Camper.jpg

Last edited:

Rebuilder

Very interesting. Great work. Was all the 4x4 stuff bolt in apart from the driveshaft?

Yes everything bolts in but you do have to cut the rivets and replace the coil spring mounts on the frame. All the correct holes are there for the new mounts so I just used grade 8 bolts. The only reason the driveshaft had to be custom made is because it's a cab & chassis which never came as a single rear wheel 4x4. The DRW shaft might have worked but it's a different axle so I didn't want to risk it..... and the custom one was cheaper anyway.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Yes everything bolts in but you do have to cut the rivets and replace the coil spring mounts on the frame. All the correct holes are there for the new mounts so I just used grade 8 bolts. The only reason the driveshaft had to be custom made is because it's a cab & chassis which never came as a single rear wheel 4x4. The DRW shaft might have worked but it's a different axle so I didn't want to risk it..... and the custom one was cheaper anyway.

What about the transfer case. Did the case you used bolt directly to the transmission with no output shaft change or transmission removal from the vehicle?

Rebuilder

What about the transfer case. Did the case you used bolt directly to the transmission with no output shaft change or transmission removal from the vehicle?

Yep bolts right up. The 5R100 already has the flange on it and those 2 holes in the side are where the manual shifter mounts. The hole is already in the tunnel for the lever too. Just make sure you get a 34 spline NV271. The one for the 4 speed is 31 spline.

5R110.jpg

Last edited:

Rebuilder

The camper frame is mostly 2"x2"x1/8" alum tubing and I'm having strips of 1/8" aluminum sheet formed so all the edges will be beveled. The sides and top will be composite panels made from 3mm thick Dibond (Alum Composite) bonded to both sides of 1.5" XPS foam insulation. I plan to use PL Premium to bond the Dibond to the Foam and Sikaflex 252 to bond the panels to the frame unless someone chimes in with a better solution. I know there are a lot of adhesive options so I'm open to suggestions.

Here's the start of the frame. The flatbed was a great working platform.

KIMG0935.JPG

KIMG0939.JPG

KIMG0943.JPG

KIMG0945.JPG

Here's a test piece of the beveled edge. The composite panels will be glued to the inside lip of the beveled piece.

KIMG0938.JPG

KIMG0936.JPG

Here's another mockup

KIMG0940.JPG

The bevel isn't completely necessary but I think it adds a nice look and should help stiffen up the frame.

I realize pretty quickly that my ceiling was too low to keep working on the flatbed so once I had the base fully welded I pulled it off and leveled the frame on the floor. KIMG0947.JPG

KIMG0946.JPG

Here's another mockup showing how the bevel matches up with the upper edge. I think I'll be adding gusset plates that will cover the corners but not sure yet.

KIMG0950.JPG

I should be getting the Dibond and the 10' bevel pieces this week so more to come soon....

Again, if you have any thoughts on adhesives let me know.

john61ct

Adventurer
look at the sheets for Sikaflex 292 and 3M 5200

remain flexible forever, great sealant properties

but be sure you never want to remove, will likely destroy the work before undoing the bond.

Rebuilder

look at the sheets for Sikaflex 292 and 3M 5200

remain flexible forever, great sealant properties

but be sure you never want to remove, will likely destroy the work before undoing the bond.

Thank you... I'm liking what I read about the 5200. I ordered some and will give it a try.

Rebuilder

I got a little more work done on the frame today and went and picked up the formed aluminum for the edges.

KIMG0955.JPG

So far so good....

KIMG0964.JPG

KIMG0963.JPG

I need to put the alum skin on the front and under the bed before permanently installing the edge pieces. I'll start on that tomorrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94