Home brewed rear bumpers w/ swing outs

Box Rocket

Here's the double swing out I built on my Tacoma

was able to use a single latch for the dual swingout.

Here's an almost identical bumper I built for a "customer" but uses a single full width swingout.

Here's the bumper I built for my Cruiser.

Box Rocket

Box Rocket, that is some amazing looking work

Thank you. They've all been fun projects. And for those of you that don't think you have all the required tools.....I have a welder, a 4.5" angle grinder and a chop saw. That's it. So this kind of stuff can be done with a basic set of tools. You could even get by without the chop saw if your careful with the angle grinder and use a cutoff wheel.

zelatore

Explorer
Thank you. They've all been fun projects. And for those of you that don't think you have all the required tools.....I have a welder, a 4.5" angle grinder and a chop saw. That's it. So this kind of stuff can be done with a basic set of tools. You could even get by without the chop saw if your careful with the angle grinder and use a cutoff wheel.

That's all we used making mine. Cut off wheels, sawzall, angle grinders. It's all stick welding too ... my little 110v MIG isn't up to that job!

Flyinbronco

Observer
Here's a few pictures of the double swing I built for my crew cab. It holds a 35" spare and the basket holds two 11 gal. fuel dump cans for the race truck or four jerry cans.
115_zpse59grq5a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
006_zpsuvnfxzgo.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
007_zpsnsft8roi.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Taylor1

Observer
6x4 .25 center with back cut out in area away from the mounts making sort of c channel. 6x2 .125 sides and 2x2 carrier. Comp 4x4 HD spindle and double shear bracket mounted at a funny angle and removable. I didn't measure or plan enough before cutting the center section. Opens to drivers side with a stop built into the spindle mount. Helps balance weight with a full tank of fuel and less distance/ moment from the tire to spindle.

All the steel is leftover drops from a local structural shop. Yea, It's heavy and needs additional frame mounts. Home garage, welder and angle grinder built.

uploadfromtaptalk1434476965169.jpguploadfromtaptalk1434477083475.jpguploadfromtaptalk1434477148274.jpguploadfromtaptalk1434477186599.jpg

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

MamboSA

Observer
Looks really good guys, everyone.
I'm jealous of your welding and fab skills.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94