Home brew CTIS / STIS?

Geo.Lander

I have been looking at the various central/stationary inflation systems and came across the much hyped ti.systems STIS, however the 3000 Euro price tag (for 4x4 single wheels) has me thinking, these are basically central pressure regulation circuits with what looks like off the shelf lines and a PVC pipe for storage.. Has anyone made a similar homemade system?

Screenshot 2020-12-28 at 13.15.05.png
Screenshot 2020-12-28 at 13.15.14.png

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Not quite yet but I am partially the way thru. I currently have a 24v DC compressor (which in hind site I should have gone with 12v and run off the house bank) from Viair with a separate 5 gallon tank. I have quick connect air fittings on each side of the truck. I have on my TODO list to tie in the truck engine air compressor to this system to speed fills (these tires are rather large, my biggest problem is sourcing metric to SAE air fittings, really wish the US would get with the metric system and be done with it). I also have a quick deflate that removes the valve stem. Am also looking at a hands free fill that will stop filling at a preset PSI (about $100 from a few different places, just waiting for a convenient shipping point).

Geo.Lander

Not quite yet but I am partially the way thru. I currently have a 24v DC compressor (which in hind site I should have gone with 12v and run off the house bank) from Viair with a separate 5 gallon tank. I have quick connect air fittings on each side of the truck. I have on my TODO list to tie in the truck engine air compressor to this system to speed fills (these tires are rather large, my biggest problem is sourcing metric to SAE air fittings, really wish the US would get with the metric system and be done with it). I also have a quick deflate that removes the valve stem. Am also looking at a hands free fill that will stop filling at a preset PSI (about $100 from a few different places, just waiting for a convenient shipping point).

Jon, when I was discussing the Ti.Systems install I was quite reliability informed (by a german dealer)* the trucks own compressor and tank system would be totally sufficient (engine running of course) to fill all 4 corners at the same time. Do you have another reason to use an additional compressor other than capacity? My truck came with a tire inflation outlet bolted to the side of the firehouse cab, I was thinking to just use the same output if it is large enough.

I have found a few comercial pneumatic regulators online too. So cheaply in fact that a 4 or 2 circuit system does not seem to ridiculous anymore, but just for comparison can you share what you are looking at? What operating range is needed, the best port sizes and flow rate? As I know nothing about what type of pressures I'll be adjusting too, things I still need to learn. I have not been able to find any similar projects here or on LN2, it seems TI really own the market in that regard.

Pneumatic supplies are readily available here very cheaply. Might it be best if you source parts from the EU instead? i have a deep respect for the non-europeans on here and the lengths gone to on these MB trucks!

*one assumes the reliability of these dealers.-

Iain_U1250

Explorer
I started making something similar that would allow me to inflate a pair of tyre at the same time. I have the tubes with the coil air lines with the tubes similar to that in the photo above, a manifold, a Jamec Pem automatic tyre inflator (https://www.jamecpem.com/collections/tyre-inflators/products/auto1000-digital-auto-inflator), I also fitted all the fittings into the air system for the connection. I tested it all out a few times and to be honest, found the difficult part was screwing the connector onto the valve, especially when the wheels are muddy or I've been on the beach. The clip on connector is much easier to use, the biggest problem is the Schrader valve on the tyre, they limit the airflow a lot. They also tend to be fairly soft brass, so it is easy to damage the threads on the valve.

2021-01-03 15.05.21.jpg

2021-01-03 15.07.46.jpg

I already have two sets of these Staun Automatic Tyre Deflators, https://stauntyredeflators.com.au/ I have set each pair for 15 PSI, 20PSI, 25PSI and 30PSI. That way I can just put them onto the tyres and get back in the truck and wait till they stop deflating.

I also have an ARB tyre deflator https://www.sevenslot.com.au/product/arb-tyre-deflator/ if I want to be more accurate, this is really quick to deflate the truck tyres, as you screw the inside of the valve out. It works great but is a bit more effort to use as you have to keep checking the gauge.

2021-01-03 17.33.31.jpg

I don't find it a big deal to stop and change tyre pressure, it is not something you do every five minutes, I've found that I tend to let them down only once or twice a day when we are travelling offroad or on the beach. Taking a break means you get to think about where you are going and what the risks are - and maybe find a better way. We always take the easy road, and don't want to put our home at any risk.

I'll post some more of the details in my Camper buidl thread, to keep it all in one place.

bobakers

this is what Ive come up with for my perentie motor home:
CTIS_16AUG2020.png

about 20 minutes from stopping to 45psi (from 16psi) using a a Boss PX7 compressor. I used an air receiver and unloading valve from a cheap Antila air compressor 21L 240v compressor I had.

Hope this helps

regards
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles