Holy Expo-White Batman!!!

Colby Jack

Traveler
Thanks to all the good info and feedback here on Expo, I pulled the trigger on an '07 Dodge CC SB with the 6.7L!!!:wings:

07Dodge.jpg

This thing is a Rocket-ship compared to the half ton Silverado it replaced. I also went to town yesterday and placed my order for a high rise ARE cap with windoors, drivers' side tool box, and Yakima track rack set up. Next is a set of Nfab 3-hoop steps. I have had a Garmin Nuvi in the box for a few months that will be installed this weekend-- images to follow.

So far I am really impressed with the standard exhaust brake and Speedliner installed by a local body shop. I am also enjoying the BFG Rugged Terrain tires.

Look forward to sharing my build up with such a great group.

Colby Jack

Joe's Toy

Observer
Thanks to all the good info and feedback here on Expo, I pulled the trigger on an '07 Dodge CC SB with the 6.7L!!!:wings:

07Dodge.jpg

This thing is a Rocket-ship compared to the half ton Silverado it replaced. I also went to town yesterday and placed my order for a high rise ARE cap with windoors, drivers' side tool box, and Yakima track rack set up. Next is a set of Nfab 3-hoop steps. I have had a Garmin Nuvi in the box for a few months that will be installed this weekend-- images to follow.

So far I am really impressed with the standard exhaust brake and Speedliner installed by a local body shop. I am also enjoying the BFG Rugged Terrain tires.

Look forward to sharing my build up with such a great group.

Colby Jack

You have to love those Cummins! Enjoy!

jcbrandon

Explorer
Congratulations. It's pretty tough to go wrong with a full-size truck. And the Ram is an excellent choice.

Bella PSD

Explorer
The 3rd hoop on the the N Fab bars a great. Your going to love them. Good choice on the ARE cap, about the best made.

Colby Jack

Traveler
Excited!

I haven't been this excited about a rig since my '72 Scout II that I drove in college.

Seems that these new diesels are just begging for more throttle. Thanks for the encouragement. Bella, your input on the ARE in your other threads was a nice influence on my choice. I looked at the LEER, but wasn't impressed with their pricing of the options, or the available layouts of the tool box.

More to come...

Colby Jack

duxndogs

Observer
Re:

Nice truck! :smiley_drive:

I have similiar plans for an F150 FX4. I'll be following your build. Looking forward to pictures. :drool:

Chalk another one up for the Dodge Bros. :sombrero: Is the ARE you ordered fiberglass or aluminum? Looking forward to your build.

Last edited:

Colby Jack

Traveler
ARE topper

The ARE topper I ordered is the MX version-- Fiberglass hi-rize! Really excited... However, I just found out that the two window they place on the forward-facing slope of the topper are actually faux windows. Simply pieces of tinted plexi put on for show. I know that the topper will be much stronger without those holes up there, but was looking forward to a little more ambiant light back there-- As if we need anymore up here in the summers:rolleyes:. I have only myself to blame, as I should have crawled inside one before I bought it. I'm sure I'll be happy.

I really had a hard time with the man-door decision. I know I would love it for exploring and camping, but couldn't give up my tailgate...yet.:cool: I did find out that I can add the man-door at a later date. This will probably happen if and when I get rear ended by some yahoo on the first day of snow next winter:yikes: Hey, ya gotta look on the bright side of everything, right???

Really looking forward to delivery of the topper. More to come. Thanks for the welcome!

Colby Jack

Colby Jack

Traveler
N-fab question???

Hey Bella--

Have you had any problems with the n-fab steps being mounted on the pinch weld? I just came across a good discussion on cummins forum, and found this interesting. Lots of mixed input on this. No one seems to have a problem with them, but it just doesn't seem like a good idea to have the lowest point of the quarter panels tied in to the pinch weld of the body.

I thought that for the cost, I would be getting a frame mount. Maybe I'll have a set fabbed to "compliment" the n-fab design. Has anyone else had a problem with their nerfs that aren't frame mounted???

Colby Jack

Bella PSD

Explorer
Hey Bella--

Have you had any problems with the n-fab steps being mounted on the pinch weld? I just came across a good discussion on cummins forum, and found this interesting. Lots of mixed input on this. No one seems to have a problem with them, but it just doesn't seem like a good idea to have the lowest point of the quarter panels tied in to the pinch weld of the body.

I thought that for the cost, I would be getting a frame mount. Maybe I'll have a set fabbed to "compliment" the n-fab design. Has anyone else had a problem with their nerfs that aren't frame mounted???

Colby Jack
I really do like them. Never had any problem with them. The paint is even holding up perfect. As far as nerf style bars go the N-Fab bars are the best by far. They don't hang down like all the others do. They are tucked up as high as they can and that's the main reason I got them. I did not want anything hanging down to low.

BUT, and there is always a but....I would recommend getting something custom made if you are going off road much. I have had several VERY close calls with mine. If I were to hit a rock really hard it would transfer all that energy right into the pinch weld below the door. I have come close one to many times for me and I am looking to sell them and make some rock sliders to attach to the frame. For what I could sell them used I could make a nice rock slider. I would sure miss that 3rd step at the bed….

I have been warning my kids and wife for about a year now that they are coming off.

So to recap, I give the N-Fab bars 5 starts out of 5 for street use and mild off road. The 3rd step for the bed is a must have and one of the best things about the bars. They tuck up higher to the body than any other nerf bar.

For anything more than wild off road use…be carfull!!

Hope this helps:coffeedrink:

Louie

Colby Jack

Traveler
Thanks

Thanks Louie. You are definitely echoing what others have stated about the n-fabs. I'm going to take sketches and pics to my fabricator tomorrow and see what he says. Frame-mount seems to be the way to go.

Where is that ARE shell??? Sometimes living in Alaska is the pits...

Colby Jack

Colby Jack

Traveler
Fender Truck Boxes

Does anyone here have a lead on the manufacturer of the fender truck boxes that open to the rear instead of the top??? Sometimes these boxes are called porkchop boxes (because of the shape). I remember seeing an article in a 4x4 magazine where they installed a set in an '85 yota with a can-back. I thought that the manufacturer started with a "G". Pretty ambiguous, I know, but I think that a set of these boxes will workout great with the ARE topper with windoors and tool box, otherwise I'll end up building a sort of cabinet setup when the topper is installed.

Thanks

Colby Jack

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier