Holy cow Jeepman, I wound up with a new Hard Rock! SOLD SOLD SOLD

ratled

Adventurer
I'm still not sure how it happened, I wasn't even wanting to get a new ride (really). I was looking at the new 2017 Hard Rocks on line and just for fun I thought I would build one - doesn't cost anything right. After, I clicked the check local inventory and there was one that had 13 of my 14 choices at the closest dealer. I clicked the "see the vehicle on the dealer website" button and they had it listed for $5,000 less than the build quote! I was looking to see which option it didn't have and I couldn't figure which it was but I noticed the dealer had a special for and additional $3,000 off the sales price- this is less than the MSRP base price for a Hard Rock! I started looking harder at it as the picture wasn't a Hard Rock, not even a Rubicon. BUT all the wording said Hard Rock package. I was talking with my wife over lunch and, since we were so close, I would like to see it, just because. The dealer said that he doesn't even have a regular Rubicon for that price so there has to be some error. He went to look for it and couldn't even find it. He had to look it up on the computer as I had the VIN. As it turns out it is a 2017 Hard Rock for less than the MSRP base price and it includes destination at that price. Again, still not sure how this happened, but there I was signing paperwork. OTD for less than the build price including doc and sales tax!

The down side is it is still on the train from Ohio and should be here in a week or so. Turns out the train will go through town but won't stop. It has to go to California and the will trucked back to here - go figure. I can wait, I hope. I started a build list as I don't want to buy anything just in case.

As I put together the build list, one question I have (for now) is for a stereo head replacement. Even on the dream build that started all of this I didn't do an upgrade here. I do want to add front and rear cameras - don't have any now - but I don't want/need a nav system. Does anyone have any suggestions to check out? I would like plug in play and the new rig will have the U Connect.

I'll post pics and updates as I can

ratled

Last edited:

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Think about off-road navigation

WOW! :eek:
Congratulations! This sounds like a smoking great deal. :victory:
That's a pretty awesome Christmas gift.
So what options does it have?

If there is one thing I would love to upgrade, it would be to find a quality head that allowed downloading maps for off road navigation. The interior of the Wrangler is pretty compact, so adding on external devices gets cramped quickly.
I added a phone holder, 10" tablet for off-road navigation, a CB mic, ham hand talkie and an InReach SE, and things are pretty cluttered.

Looking forward to seeing pictures when you pick it up. :)

Attachments

• Tablet-mounted-Horizontal.jpg
    Tablet-mounted-Horizontal.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 230

Outside somewhere

Overland certified public figure brand ambassador
I'm still not sure how it happened, I wasn't even wanting to get a new ride (really). I was looking at the new 2017 Hard Rocks on line and just for fun I thought I would build one - doesn't cost anything right. After, I clicked the check local inventory and there was one that had 13 of my 14 choices at the closest dealer. I clicked the "see the vehicle on the dealer website" button and they had it listed for $5,000 less than the build quote! I was looking to see which option it didn't have and I couldn't figure which it was but I noticed the dealer had a special for and additional $3,000 off the sales price- this is less than the MSRP base price for a Hard Rock! I started looking harder at it as the picture wasn't a Hard Rock, not even a Rubicon. BUT all the wording said Hard Rock package. I was talking with my wife over lunch and, since we were so close, I would like to see it, just because. The dealer said that he doesn't even have a regular Rubicon for that price so there has to be some error. He went to look for it and couldn't even find it. He had to look it up on the computer as I had the VIN. As it turns out it is a 2017 Hard Rock for less than the MSRP base price and it includes destination at that price. Again, still not sure how this happened, but there I was signing paperwork. OTD for less than the base price including doc and sales tax!

The down side is it is still on the train from Ohio and should be here in a week or so. Turns out the train will go through town but won't stop. It has to go to California and the will trucked it back to here - go figure. I can wait, I hope. I started a build list as I don't want to buy anything just in case.

As I put together the build list, one question I have (for now) is for a stereo head replacement. Even on the dream build that started all of this I didn't do an upgrade here. I do want to add front and rear cameras - don't have any now - but I don't want/need a nav system. Does anyone have any suggestions to check out? I would like plug in play and the new rig will the U Connect.

I'll post pics and updates as I can

ratled

JKURHR or JKRHR?

ratled

Adventurer
It is 13 of the 14 choices they ask you on the build auto vs stick, hard top vs soft top vs combo etc. I found the only difference is the lack of a remote start. I know what you mean about cramped quick, I will be carrying over a 10" tablet I just started playing with.

OS it's a JKU HR (technically a JKJS74 J24)

Black on white and comes with the combo soft/hard top. 5 spd, 130 radio, Max tow and the standard J24 package. The thing I like for 2017 is the LED light is standard.

ratled

Last edited:

GhostRHR

Good find! Finally started rolling on my Hard Rock build as well. Looking forward to watching yours progress.

autarkus

Congrats. That train is probably bringing my JKUR. Regarding the head unit, you should state your budget. Alpine has a really fine head unit that will eat up all of those savings you found (~4k). Then there are some Pioneer units that have been well regarded for much less. I'm trying to make the same decision myself.

Alpine: http://alpine-usa.com/product/view/jeep-wrangler-radio-accessory-switch-source-x109-wra
Pioneer: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/NEX/AVIC-8200NEX

If you want to keep the steering wheel controls, make sure the unit includes the datalink Maestro. Both units above do. Else, you can probably add it in later.

ratled

Adventurer
A couple of thoughts for the cameras, especially since I don't need/want a nav system, I'm not an audio aficionado and the biggest reason for the swap is the cameras w/o more screens (like OS stated it's a pretty cramped interior). The first is with something like this https://www.amazon.com/AUTO-VOX-Wireless-Transmitter-Receiver-Assistance/dp/B01HZFPCMI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1482649957&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=wireless+camera+backup+monitor+system&psc=1 with a DPDT power switch for the cameras and somehow run it into my already existing 10" tablet. SUPER cheap and I could even keep a few spare cameras just in case at these prices. The main purpose of the cameras is for trail use in tight spots and crest of the hill when there is no spotter.

Another option is something like this https://www.amazon.com/Camecho-Vehicle-Support-Waterpoof-Hardwire/dp/B01IQUW1TS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1482649695&sr=8-1&keywords=dual+camera+backup+monitor+system and mount the screen to back of the visor to save room. Again this is a SUPER CHEAP option.

One other thought, when compared to even the Pioneer at $1400 ($800 at discount prices) is a refurb'ed Gopro 3 with wifi to the tablet. They can be had in the $100 - $200 range with patience.

There are several fairly functional back up systems that can be had for under a $100 that incorporate a rear view mirror that could also work.

Maybe a combination of ideas? What say you?

ratled

Last edited:

Alphonse

Observer
I think you are on the right track with the Amazon stuff. I have a camera mounted under my front bumper and installed a monitor on the center dash cubby above the radio, all purchased off Amazon for a little more than $40 total delivered. For a trail camera I see no reason to be heavily vested, I think the big money is better spent elsewhere on mods that get you home.

https://instagram.com/p/BCqaTk8FNFy/

Last edited:

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Lot's of camera options. WiFi and Bluetooth, as well as conventional wired.
You could port WiFi or Bluetooth directly to your tablet.
They have the one that replaces your rear view mirror, and will run two cameras. Or one that just fits over your rear view mirror.

I removed the rear view mirror completely because it blocks a lot of view out the windshield. In it's place is a small 7" screen, with a camera front and back. I really like this, especially when running in big rocks without a spotter. The switching is set up to run none/back/front through a relay that powers the front and rear cameras, and the monitor has auto switching to pick up whatever is live.

Thread with info on it starts here:
(starts off with some great info on how JCDriller did his camera setup).
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/129035-2014-JKURX-quot-Bought-Not-Built-quot-er-build-thread/page26
Hope this helps.

Abe Froman

Adventurer
I have an AEV rear bumper with tire carrier, a 35" tire and the fuel caddy.
I cannot see anything at all out of the rear view mirror.
I use it to spy on my kid in the rear seat, but next summer I plan on removing the mirror and possibly replacing with a monitor and always on rear camera and switched front.
I have the AEV reverse camera and it's fine for reversing, but it would be nice to see behind while driving.

ratled

Adventurer
Well it was take it home day!!!!:wings: Everything I thought it would be. Going to try to take it out tomorrow just because. Going start the ordering process this weekend too. First up will be a Genesis dual battery kit. Why? Well everything will be tied to it anyway so why not start at the foundation first? The primary need for the DB is my 63 qt fridge/freezer and some winching. BUT don't expect much in the way of too many changes as I am the guy they designed the Hard Rock for. I like the 10 A bumper, dome hood and the HR rims, if not I would have looked at regular Rubicon in the first place. We'll have to see where this goes.........

A couple of first shots, not great but gets the point across......

ratled

Last edited:

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Yep! definitely beautiful. :beer:
The black on white is so clean.

Those LED headlamps look much better than I was expecting. more like stock halogens in appearance. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier