Hole-in-the-Rock Trail, SE Utah

Number 7

Adventurer
We ran the Hole-in-the-Rock Trail a couple weekends ago. Here are a few pictures from the trip, click on the 1st one to link back to everybody's pictures and my trip report, which begins on post #27.

DSCN1100.JPG

DSCN1011.JPG

Link to Hole-in-the-Rock Info / Detail post: http://offroadpassport.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1388

Enjoy!
Diane

Last edited:

Expedition Leader
Thanks for posting; HitR is on my short list of "trails I want to do sooner rather than later".

Adventurer
Another View Of The Hole In The Rock Trail

HI,
Thanks for a great report and equally great pictures.

I and two other vehicles did the Hole In The Rock Trail last year in Sept. Two vehicles were Jeep YJ Wranglers and one was a Cherokee. All of us had built vehicles and were experienced. It was a ball. I have a few things to say about our trip that may duplicate what has already been said. By doing this I don't mean to imply that your trail report is lacking. Not at all. But sometimes multiple points of view are valuable. Also, I'd like to add a few details.

We came in from New Mexico and picked up Hwy 95 south of Blanding which took us through the Comb Ridge (an amazing natural wonder. BTW) then on to Cal Black Airfield close to the trial head. The trail head is marked. Off of 95 is Natural Bridges National Monument which we, stupidly, did not visit. Cal Black is a lonely airstrip but it has what an adventurer needs-gas and water. Also, there is a place where one can leave a trailer while on the trail which we took advantage of. There is no trailer security and there is a small use fee. We arrived in late afternoon, dumped the trailers, gassed up, and hit the trail.

We did not get too far on the trail before we had to make camp as it was getting dark. There are no formal camping sites along the trail and absolutely no water or toilet facilities. There is one location about half way in where many folks have camped but it is informal. You will see it in a wide little valley on the east side of the trail. It's obvious. On the way in we drove past this "camp ground" and camped further up. On the way out, we camped here.

The trail starts as a benign sandy track and gives no hint of the challenges to come. Before long, the trail starts to get tougher. Generally, this is a rough and fun trail. Just about any type of desert terrain is represented. There is slick rock, slick rock domes (steeper than Moab's Hell's Revenge), rocks, ledges, sand, off camber with a high pucker factor, and more. As you can see from the OP's pictures, there is much natural beauty.

The trail terminates short of the Colorado river. You can see it in the distance, maybe 5 miles away. The actual Hole In The Rock is visible on the far side of the river. And from this point you can see the original Emigrant Trail. You will marvel at the energy the original Mormon pioneers put into the building of this trail but there was no Jeep access to it. It was not an easy task. Amazingly, at trails end, we had cell phone coverage. This is lonely, empty country so this little touch of civilization came as a surprise.

After a lunch break, we turned around and headed back. The trail was just as much fun on the way out as trails usually are. Sometimes it's hard to believe it is the same trail. We camped at the campground we bypassed on the way in. The next day we drove out exiting around 3 in the afternoon. I picked up my camping trailer, gassed up, and headed to Blanding. Arriving right at dark, I grabbed a motel room for the night. I was on my way to Moab to continue my vacation. My friends returned to New Mexico.

As an aside, in Blanding there is a very nice, modern, dinosaur museum. I had read about it in books so after a lazy breakfast, waiting until it opened, I visited. It was definitely worth my time. I highly recommend it.

Then, off to Moab.

Some observations. Do not travel the trail alone. We did not see another human being. Help is far away. Make sure your vehicle is well shaken down. Be careful. This is not a place to do something stupid or have a break down. Make sure all members of your group can communicate with CB. Make sure you carry extra gas. No service stations out there! When we were there it was not dusty. It had rained hard the day before but there was no standing water or mud. Surprising. But, the trail has the look of very dusty. I have low gearing on my Jeep and rarely left low range. It's a slow crawl almost all the way. Lockers are necessary. I have ARB's front and rear. The rear locker was engaged most of the way and the front locked more than usual.

I have to say this was a great trip. I want to do it again.

Sparky

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne