Hodakaguy's 4x4 Sprinter Build

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Clean work as always! Big improvement with those sides filled in.

I'd like to have a powder coating setup -that would be handy.

Thanks I like the looks of the panels as well....pretty happy with how they came out.

I did a LOT of my own powder coating when I built our Syncro...borrowed an oven from a friend. Lot's of PC pics in my Syncro build thread here: CLICK HERE

Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Back roads in the Morning...heading to work this week.

20200505_062501-X2.jpg

Follow me on Instagram @Hodakaguy_Tom

Hodakaguy

Last edited:

jgaz

Adventurer
Is it safe to assume that you’re using a standard (approx 4000rpm) chop saw to cut this 1/2 material?
I‘ve never cut aluminum that thick with my Dewalt.

Any special lube that you use? I’d like to find something in stick form as I’ve only used WD40.
Thanks.

1588944834222.jpeg

Farfrumwork

I’ve cut a LOT of 80/20 and all kinds of other other aluminum stock with my dewalt using the same blade as Hodakaguy - no issues, just don’t feed the blade too fast

I remember all your powder coating in the syncro build - awesome!

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Is it safe to assume that you’re using a standard (approx 4000rpm) chop saw to cut this 1/2 material?
I‘ve never cut aluminum that thick with my Dewalt.

Any special lube that you use? I’d like to find something in stick form as I’ve only used WD40.
Thanks.

View attachment 584384

I didn't have any issues cutting the thicker aluminum and didn't use any lube (got in a hurry)....just went slow. Lube would be a good idea though. Yeah standard speed saw.

Hodakaguy

45Kevin

Adventurer
Quick question about the new window you installed.
What did it cost, and can a hole be cut out of the sheet metal to install it in a windowless cargo van?

Our current rig, an AWD Express just isn't quite big enough for extended trips so I'm looking at the 144 high top.

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Quick question about the new window you installed.
What did it cost, and can a hole be cut out of the sheet metal to install it in a windowless cargo van?

Our current rig, an AWD Express just isn't quite big enough for extended trips so I'm looking at the 144 high top.

The window is a CRL and you can get them for about $550. Yeah you can cut an opening and install the window in a cargo van as well, look up CRL install on youtube and there are quite a few vids of guys installing them in cargo vans. They work great.

Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Little work today....

Starting to add the lower L-track. I will be using a combination of recessed and flat mount L-track since I'm going to re-use the plastic trim around the windows.

First up I need to trim the lip on the bottom side of the plastic so the L-track can sit flush against the metal. A pair of sheers make quick work of this task.

P5150388-X2.jpg

P5150393-X2.jpg

Adding Plus Nuts to the horizontal recessed L-track. This track will only be used to support the panels.

P5150400-X2.jpg

P5150402-X2.jpg

Prepping the L-track. Here I'm recessing the holes in the flush mount L-track.

P5150414-X2.jpg

P5150418-X2.jpg

P5150422-X2.jpg

P5150423-X2.jpg

Starting to get there. The Vertical flush mount track will support the bed frame eventually. I'm tossing around ideas to finish off the ends of the tracks along with the upper edge of the horizontal track....I think I have it figured out, we will see :)

P5150424-X2.jpg

P5150427-X2.jpg

P5150430-X2.jpg

Hodakaguy

mariusstrom

Starting to get there. The Vertical flush mount track will support the bed frame eventually. I'm tossing around ideas to finish off the ends of the tracks along with the upper edge of the horizontal track....I think I have it figured out, we will see :)

Long time to talk, Tom. :) Could you not just 45 degree miter them into each other?

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Love this build sir... sorry for the 20 ish likes that I added to your notifications today...lol I just read through this whole thread end to end. I would love to do a build like this myself one day...

Maybe after all of this Pandemic stuff is over I will get to see it in person at NWOR or something similar? Keep up the good work!

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Long time to talk, Tom. :) Could you not just 45 degree miter them into each other?

Hey Marius....yeah long time since we've chatted for sure. I'm using two types of L-track here, both recessed and angled so the 45 deg cuts wouldn't match up unfortunately. Maybe I'll see you at one of the events later this summer.

Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Love this build sir... sorry for the 20 ish likes that I added to your notifications today...lol I just read through this whole thread end to end. I would love to do a build like this myself one day...

Maybe after all of this Pandemic stuff is over I will get to see it in person at NWOR or something similar? Keep up the good work!

Thanks Mate, I was planning on going to the NWOR rally this summer but the Covid outbreak changed a lot of plans. I do plan on camping quite a bit this summer and will show back up to the different events as they start happening again :). Maybe I'll see you at one of the events!

Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Working on the drivers side today.

Getting ready to install the horizontal L-track.

P5160432-X2.jpg

Drilling holes and installing the Plus Nuts....Using the Deburring tool to clean up the edges before tapping the plus nuts into place. The Deburring tool has replaceable cutting tips, the shape of the tip allows you to de-burr both the outer and inner edges of the hole. Great piece to have in your kit...available on Amazon here: CLICK HERE

P5160476-X2.jpg

P5160479-X2.jpg

Getting ready to tap the Plus nut into place and seat it.

P5160480-X2.jpg

I borrowed a pneumatic plus nut setting tool from a buddy of mine. This tool is the cats meow! Not only is this tool quick to use but it sets the plus nuts perfectly straight every time! I'll post a video soon discussing the differences between Rivet Nuts and Plus Nuts and the different types of Installation tools.

The pneumatic tool...

P5160436-X2.jpg

P5160437-X2.jpg

P5160438-X2.jpg

Setting Plus Nuts..

P5160485-X2.jpg

P5160487-X2.jpg

P5160488-X2.jpg

Drilling and Installing the L-track.

P5160435-X2.jpg

P5160489-X2.jpg

Now on to the vertical piece of L-track. Since I'm keeping the factory plastic trim around the windows I decided to use angled L-track for a finished look and wider mounting base for the L-track that will be mounted over the plastic.

Using the Aluminum blade to cut the vertical piece to size. This blade makes quick work of cutting L-track and leaves nice smooth square cuts.

P5160491-X2.jpg

P5160493-X2.jpg

Continued Below....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles