HMMWV double beadlocks wheels on a Ford Superduty

60toyetero

Adventurer
Interesting.. Great write up. I been trying to figure out if I wanted to put these on my dodge camper but now Im a little concern. I do not mind if the tires are a louder ride than normal but wobbling and crazy vibrations do not sound fun to me!! I chatted with Andy yesterday and this company seems to have great costumer service.. my question now is where are these rims now as far as quality goes?

Dookey

Interesting.. Great write up. I been trying to figure out if I wanted to put these on my dodge camper but now Im a little concern. I do not mind if the tires are a louder ride than normal but wobbling and crazy vibrations do not sound fun to me!! I chatted with Andy yesterday and this company seems to have great costumer service.. my question now is where are these rims now as far as quality goes?

Trail Worthy Fab has been making H1 wheels for over 8 years. If you look at Bella's issues they are from 6 years ago. We made him wheels and there was something wrong about them. So we sent him more. It took over 6 years before I found out the second set had issues. So I'm having everything picked up and brought back to me so I can see what's going on. I expect everyone to get what they pay for and I expect it to be correct. I can guarantee that we make a better wheel today than we ever have before.

Today we make quite a few products along with out H1's. We have started making our brand new 17x10 double bead locks as well as an industry leading transfer case that sets the bar for strength. You can ask any person who has ever dealt with TWF as to how we take care of business. We put you guys first. That's the only reason we are still in business. We have grown tremendously and it has been due to you guys. We strive for a high standard and to be better every day. We have learned from our mistakes and from our adversity. But we don't run away from failure. We embrace it as that is the only way to get better. :)

Once we get Louie's wheels back I will evaluate the issue and correct as needed. I'm hoping by the end of all this Louie can have great wheels that he is proud of and I hope he can let you guys know that. I would ask a favor that if something isn't correct you let us know quickly so we can address it. :)

Bella PSD

Explorer
I have been going back and forth with Andy through voice mail the last week or so. I now have the Trail Worthy beadlocks off the truck. I am temporarily running a set of old 35 mudders on 16X10 aluminum rims. The Trail Worthy beadlocks are in the process of being dismounted from the BFG tires and prepared for shipping back to Trail Worthy for inspection. Andy has also asked for the first set to be sent back as well. So its taken some time to get all this together. A total of 9 Trail Worthy beadlocks are going back on a pallet.

I'll keep up to date on how it's going here in this thread.

Week or so ago when the Trail Worthy beadlocks came off.
IMG_3076.jpg

Temporarily running 35” mudders on 16x10 rims. Looks kinda funny with cut out flares and 35's but its only for a short time. And FYI, as soon as I went back to this old set of rims the ride quality dramatically increased. IE-no more shaking
IMG_3087.jpg

Last edited:

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I'll be interested in the outcome. I've got a set of trail worthy rims tires on my van and it's got shimmy/vibration I haven't been able to get rid of and it's eating the tires alive. Never thought the centers may not be quite on spot.

Dookey

I'll be interested in the outcome. I've got a set of trail worthy rims tires on my van and it's got shimmy/vibration I haven't been able to get rid of and it's eating the tires alive. Never thought the centers may not be quite on spot.

Left you a VM

Dookey

Huhwaaa? How do you leave a voice msg? Or more importantly, how do you listen to it?

On whatever cell phone number you had when you got your combo back in September 2014. Call me regardless. Just because you have a vibe doesn't mean your wheels are built incorrectly and I'm willing to go through the steps with you to get it right.

Thanks,
Andy

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Aw crap. I thought you meant here and didn't make the connection. You were the Kansas msg. That's a business line and I get such an unbelievable amount of junk phone calls I rarely answer or pay attention to numbers I don't recognize, and since I have no customers in Kansas..... Oops.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the rims are out of whack because I simply have no clue, it's just something I hadn't considered till reading through this thread. So far I've had them balanced with beads, balanced with weights, and not balanced at all. There didn't seem to be a great difference either way. I've had it aligned 3 times as well, with no real change in the vibe/shimmy issue, but this last time around they managed to make it a bit more squirrelly than it used to be Twice at one of those fast food types of tire shops, can't remember the brand, and last time at a place that caters to big semis and dump trucks. Strangely enough they're the ones that made it squirrelly. Neither place had any effect on the issue.

I haven't messed with it lately because I haven't been running it as much and winter really takes a bite out of my wrenching motivation. Plus every time I look at one of those heavy-*** tire/wheel combos my butt puckers in anticipation of blowing a hemorrhoid or something.

Btw, the response time between when I left that first post and you calling was freakin fast. Minutes. Two thumbs up on that for sure.

Last edited:

Dookey

Aw crap. I thought you meant here and didn't make the connection. You were the Kansas msg. That's a business line and I get such an unbelievable amount of junk phone calls I rarely answer or pay attention to numbers I don't recognize, and since I have no customers in Kansas..... Oops.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the rims are out of whack because I simply have no clue, it's just something I hadn't considered till reading through this thread. So far I've had them balanced with beads, balanced with weights, and not balanced at all. There didn't seem to be a great difference either way. I've had it aligned 3 times as well, with no real change in the vibe/shimmy issue, but this last time around they managed to make it a bit more squirrelly than it used to be Twice at one of those fast food types of tire shops, can't remember the brand, and last time at a place that caters to big semis and dump trucks. Strangely enough they're the ones that made it squirrelly. Neither place had any effect on the issue.

I haven't messed with it lately because I haven't been running it as much and winter really takes a bite out of my wrenching motivation. Plus every time I look at one of those heavy-*** tire/wheel combos my butt puckers in anticipation of blowing a hemorrhoid or something.

Btw, the response time between when I left that first post and you calling was freakin fast. Minutes. Two thumbs up on that for sure.

Call me when you can. I'd like to get some specific info and I think I can help you understand better what's going on and what to look for.

Slorigami7

Hello Andy, you seem to be very customer service oriented, good for you. Question, is it really possible to have a big heavy tire and wheel combo such as these double beadlocks be completely smooth at high speeds? it seems that with 160lbs spinning around at 70 mph the centrifugal forces would be uncontrollable. I have a set of 35" tires that are reasonably smooth under most conditions, and then sometimes I'll hit a bump and get some pretty good bounces that feel just like a tire out of balance or out of round. Just wondering how smooth these things are actually able to be. Thanx
Call me when you can. I'd like to get some specific info and I think I can help you understand better what's going on and what to look for.

Dookey

Hello Andy, you seem to be very customer service oriented, good for you. Question, is it really possible to have a big heavy tire and wheel combo such as these double beadlocks be completely smooth at high speeds? it seems that with 160lbs spinning around at 70 mph the centrifugal forces would be uncontrollable. I have a set of 35" tires that are reasonably smooth under most conditions, and then sometimes I'll hit a bump and get some pretty good bounces that feel just like a tire out of balance or out of round. Just wondering how smooth these things are actually able to be. Thanx

Yes it is possible. We do it all the time. What stinks is that the farther you get away from the stock size of tire on your rig the more precise you have to be with everything to get it to roll true down the road. I have 42" bias ply tires on my Jeep and have them balanced correctly clear up to 107mph. But it took a crazy amount of effort to be sure it was done correctly.

There are so many different items you have to pay attention to concerning the wheel and tire combo and quite honestly there is some really bad info out there about double bead locks and take offs that you have to wade through the BS to get to the truth. It has been my experience in the 8 years that I've been doing this that not all situations are equal so we have to search for the correct answers to get you rolling straight down the road.

There are some constants.

The wheel has to be correct. If it isn't there is no way you'd balance a combo.
The tire has to be defect free. We run into this more than anything since we are using used tires. TWF offers 30 days to figure out issues and if you have something that can't be corrected we'll send you more tires to get it right.
You shouldn't use stock run flats. They are heavy. They don't center well on the wheel and cause you massive balance issues.
BALANCING!!! This is such a huge word. Not many people care about proper balance on a combo and the biggest offender are the tire monkeys at the shop. They just want the combo to reach zero so they can go on to the next thing. They'll stack weight after weight on the wheel to get you out the door. I personally hate tire shops. I do my own balancing.

There is a much bigger conversation to be had about balancing that if you're interested I'd talk with you about it instead of writing a book here.

What you are experiencing doesn't sound like a wheel and tire balance issue so much as it sounds more like there are some components in your steering or suspension that could use some addressing. I know a complete free way for you to understand what is going on in your front end that will let you figure out these issues without spending a dime. That way you can spend your money on the correct fix instead of wasting money. It's the steering wheel test.

I'd bet that if you get someone to help you with the steering wheel test you'll see that there are some unwanted issues going on up front that cause the feelings you're experiencing when you hit the bumps. And it is simple. Get someone to sit in the driver seat while the vehicle is on flat ground. You might have to turn the key on to unlock the steering wheel but don't start the vehicle. You want to have them turn the steering wheel back and forth from 11:00 to 1:00. Back and forth and don't stop. You want them to basically just change direction continuously.

Get under the front end and I'd bet you will see the frame moving side to side parallel to the ground over the front axle. Whatever is causing that issue needs to be addressed. If you're interested call me at the shop and I'll walk you through what to look for.

Bella PSD

Explorer
All my Trail Worthy beadlocks are all back to Andy at Trail Worthy.
IMG_3269.JPG
Hopping for a good outcome! Picture in transit…

AND hoping to get back to this...

New%20Wheels%20and%20cut%20outs.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier