HJ45 Perpetually Dead Battery

Strider

Observer
Question:

Anyone know how much oil to use for the engine? Oil type? Filter?
Doing some searching online but nothing yet.
I'm thinking Mobile 1 full synthetic oil, but does the diesel need anything else/different?
1980 HJ45 Toyota Land Cruiser
Thanks!

In Florida I’d use a diesel type 15W40. Legacy type CI4+ would be fine but whatever lower ash new stuff ok also. You know, like Delo 400 or Rotella or Delvac.
My BJ40 (4cyl) of similar vintage took 7L. I’d guess 9-10L but it does have a dipstick.
Do the googling yourself to find interchanges for the oil filter. I’d bet 5-10:1 it’s available at auto parts stores or wherever. If you’re really lazy, call Specter and they’ll sell you some or have the part number. Make sure you know whether it’s an H or 2H.

Looks like a 1H to me.
Before you get too excited about a 5 speed, be aware you’ll probably need the 2-piece later and stronger transfer case as well. AFAIK nobody has succeeded in attaching an older 1 piece TC to an H55F.
My solution on my OJ50 is to stick with the wide ratio H41 transmission already there (has sufficiently low 1st, 4.925:1, to easily start with taller tires), and use an Orion TC with 4:1 low range. Switched from 7.50-16 to 8.25R16 (31.7” up to 33.9”). An effective 6.5% reduction in rpms. If you want a vehicle “that will cruise at 80-85mph on the Interstate”, forget it, get rid of it. Cruising at 60-65 safely is as far as one can go with older Landcruisers. And Unimogs (I also have a U500 camper).

Strider

Observer
In Florida I’d use a diesel type 15W40. Legacy type CI4+ would be fine but whatever lower ash new stuff ok also. You know, like Delo 400 or Rotella or Delvac.
My BJ40 (4cyl) of similar vintage took 7L. I’d guess 9-10L but it does have a dipstick.
Do the googling yourself to find interchanges for the oil filter. I’d bet 5-10:1 it’s available at auto parts stores or wherever. If you’re really lazy, call Specter and they’ll sell you some or have the part number. Make sure you know whether it’s an H or 2H.

LC is in Florida for now. Will be driving it home to Arizona in the summer.
I know zilch about diesel so thanks for that info. Lots to learn!

Strider

Observer
Looks like a 1H to me.
Before you get too excited about a 5 speed, be aware you’ll probably need the 2-piece later and stronger transfer case as well. AFAIK nobody has succeeded in attaching an older 1 piece TC to an H55F.
My solution on my OJ50 is to stick with the wide ratio H41 transmission already there (has sufficiently low 1st, 4.925:1, to easily start with taller tires), and use an Orion TC with 4:1 low range. Switched from 7.50-16 to 8.25R16 (31.7” up to 33.9”). An effective 6.5% reduction in rpms. If you want a vehicle “that will cruise at 80-85mph on the Interstate”, forget it, get rid of it. Cruising at 60-65 safely is as far as one can go with older Landcruisers. And Unimogs (I also have a U500 camper).

Yeah still looking into all those options. Negatory on wanting to cruise at 80mph. I'm fine with 60-65mph. I prefer taking non interstate roads usually.
I don't want to be a snail, but don't need to haul ass either. I used to drive a 1997 Jeep TJ and with the mods I did, it cruised at about 65mph. I lived in St. Michaels, AZ, (Navajo Reservation) for three years and I hated driving on I-40 to Flagstaff because of the speed: 75mph but most were doing 80+. So I took 264 through the back country. Took me about an hour longer because I'd take my time, stop, etc. but much better experience. I absolutely love the long, middle-of-nowhere roads! And on clear nights with a full moon, they're magical!

NatersXJ6

Explorer
If you’re new to older diesels:

I’ve always been a fan of Rotella T4 or T5 oils. 15w40 is kind of standard diesel weight, high temp summer driving I might go 20w50. I was surprised that the Toyota F (gas) was spec’d for 15-40 already, with 20-50 called out as a high temp option. Even after a fresh oil change, the oil will look horribly black within a very short time, maybe minutes of driving. That is the diesel soot.

make sure you have extra fuel filters, that you know how to change them, and that you know how to prime that engine/bleed an air lock

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne