hitch mounted cargo storage idea - thoughts

Mpl1978

I am always looking for additional storage as have two kids and space is a premium. I have a 3 week 3k mile trip planned for this summer in either our 100 or 200 series and I am starting to plan. I was thinking about buying this welded aluminum hitch cargo carrier

Northbound Aluminum Cargo Carrier / hauler, 24 X 49 heavy duty

and then using some older larger pelican or hardigg lockable storage (see below) and mounting them to the rack with u-bolts. Lockable and weatherproof....! Thoughts?

Pelican Hardigg Military Waterproof Lockable Storage | eBay

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
There are a lot of options for hitch-mounted cargo. Harbor Freight has an aluminum one about 1/3 the cost of that one, if you're not sure you need the heavier-duty construction. Tons of steel ones too if you don't want to pay the price premium.

The advantage of hitch-mounted cargo is that at least it's down low - it doesn't raise your CoG as much as just loading everything on the roof. You'll want to ensure your hitch is rated to whatever weight you plan to load there. The weight of the basket alone plus a couple of empty pelican cases can easily eat up a third of your tongue weight if you only have a Class-II hitch, for example.

The downside of hitch-mount is that such things kill your departure angle, so if you're planning to be in terrain rougher than a mild fire-road, you'll want to evaluate if it will create problems. It will also be "in the way" if you normally use the rear hatch frequently. You'll have to either remove it or reach over it...

If you're concerned about security (i.e. lockable storage), make sure you get a lockable hitch pin also, lest they just take the whole assembly and cut into it at their leisure.

We did something like this for a 5000 mile trip with our Dodge last summer. We used a swing-out arm from Yakima to allow easy access into the back of the vehicle. Here are pictures of it both opened and closed:

While it is great For accessing the vehicle, it reduces your total rack weight capacity (250lbs), and it extends back further than the rack alone. This reduces your departure angle even more. In our case, this wasn’t an issue because we didn’t go anywhere demanding. For what it is, we found it to be very solid. It didn’t give us any trouble despite covering a lot of miles.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
There are a lot of options for hitch-mounted cargo. Harbor Freight has an aluminum one about 1/3 the cost of that one, if you're not sure you need the heavier-duty construction. Tons of steel ones too if you don't want to pay the price premium.

The advantage of hitch-mounted cargo is that at least it's down low - it doesn't raise your CoG as much as just loading everything on the roof. You'll want to ensure your hitch is rated to whatever weight you plan to load there. The weight of the basket alone plus a couple of empty pelican cases can easily eat up a third of your tongue weight if you only have a Class-II hitch, for example.

The downside of hitch-mount is that such things kill your departure angle, so if you're planning to be in terrain rougher than a mild fire-road, you'll want to evaluate if it will create problems. It will also be "in the way" if you normally use the rear hatch frequently. You'll have to either remove it or reach over it...

If you're concerned about security (i.e. lockable storage), make sure you get a lockable hitch pin also, lest they just take the whole assembly and cut into it at their leisure.
Another advantage is you don't affect the aerodynamics.

gps4

1000x750.jpeg.30b05335e9ae4eeeb56e913386b6fd4c.large

Here's a hitch basket i've had since the mid 90's....60"x 24". made of square steel tubing and expanded metal

empty it weighs about 40-45 pounds, but frees up a lot of space to allow folks to sit in the third row seats.

Last edited:

dreadlocks

at some point just put wheels on it and get a trailer.. FWIW with an extra 3ft of leverage on your hitch, using your tongue capacity as a ceiling is going to be rather optimistic at least.. put nice over-rated radial tires on a small 4x6 trailer and the'll cruise highway speeds w/out stress if properly loaded..

alia176

Explorer
I didn't read the entire thread but I suggest one of those cute, aerodynamic shapes trailers from Uhaul. They're lockable and is out of the way of the rear hatch/tailgate/etc. I don't think all Uhaul places rent them but something along those lines get my vote. They have to element proof and lockable, are my two requirements.

Back in the day when my daughter was little, we traveled with two dogs and I packed out my 80 like a freaking game of Tetris. It ALWAYS pissed me off that we had a roof rack and a hitch rack full of ******** and looking like Beverly hillbillies going down the road. Only thing we were missing was granny's chair strapped up top. Those were the days......that Pack N play was a lifesafer but damn it, if it weren't for the space it ate up in a tiny cab. No, I'm NOT bitter at all. ?

For me, my priorities would be the following:
- lockable and dry/dust free
-don't have to dig for my crap
-doesn't attraction unwanted attention. A fancy pelican case speaks "dudes, I'm ********** made of money. Look at the awesome rig and this awesome case. Bet there's some good ******** in here. Come back at o'dark thirty with a bolt cutter and take it while we sleep in the motel"
-narrower than my rig for fuel economy
-low height so that anyone can simply pop the top open and reach in. Little Johnny can get his battleship or Lego set w/o bugging you every time. Just leave it unlocked for the family members to grab what they need.

1580830180258.png

Last edited:

dreadlocks

Ive got one of these: https://www.spacetrailers.com/
Screenshot 2017-03-16 20.32.49 (1).png

Since I dont have the Diesel Golf anymore I gave it to my dad and he yanks it behind his Grand Caravan.. the trailer paid for its self within a few years on fuel economy saved.. 36mpg @ 80mph didnt take too long compared to the 8mpg Chevy 454 Campervan I was driving all over before this.

billiebob

The problem with throwing on a big hitch platform is all that weight behind the bumper. Even more that placing all that gear on the roof, placing all that weight so far back destroys the vehicle dynamics. I relate it to the Ford extended Econoline van. That old design is outrageously unstable when loaded with a hockey gear and players and sent down the highway in a snow storm..... We see a few fatalities almost every year in Canada for that reason.

Incredible that it is legal to sell the oversized hitch racks. And incredible how overloaded some are.

Another point never enforced..... if you extend 24" or more past the tail lights, you must add tail lights to the rear of the rack. Another regulation the police never enforce and our society ignores.

MOAK

Adventurer
I don’t like em for all the above reasons and pull a small trailer instead. Well, not really tiny, it’s a 4x6 modified to follow behind us even on the most technical 4x4 trails.F7CD707A-843F-40F2-A0B3-EEE38A528D86.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles