Hitch mounted bike racks

dreadlocks

Would take one pissed off LEO to bring that up, my parents probably have 200k miles w/a hitch mounted cargo hauler and never had complaint.. I run an automatic license plate reader on my street and the number of plates being obsecured w/hitches, bike racks, hitch mounted platforms, mud, snow, so old they dont reflect anything, damaged to the point of unreadable, is extremely high.

tacollie

Glamper
I've used them for years. I would be more concerned with brake light visibility than license plate visibility. My bike wheels hide a good portion of my brake lights.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
.. I run an automatic license plate reader on my street

Okaaaaaay. This is odd, weird and kinda disturbing....
Why?

More to the original point though, any recommendations from hitch users who have used an extension with their rack to clear a rear mounted spare tire would also be appreciated. Thx

dreadlocks

because I can, and I have the ability.. shrug, was a fun technical challenge and I'm like super into Audio/Video geekdom.

Had some gang bangers renting a house down the culdesac infront of my house, they are gone now but someone followed em home at 2am and shot up their house from the end of my driveway.. that was the spark.

Demo, watch the bottom right corner.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I got a ticket for having an obscured license plate on the old truck with the plate in the stock location and a 1UP. So I moved it to the tailgate and never got hassled again, even with the Ron Paul bumper sticker.

Image0010.jpg

rayra

Expedition Leader
we have a yakima hitch rack that holds our bikes pretty high on our Tahoes / Sub, doesn't really obscure anything. Has a pivot / pin that lets us fold things down to the road surface if we have to open the Liftgate / hatch. Looks kinda like this -

iu

buellconvert

Why?

More to the original point though, any recommendations from hitch users who have used an extension with their rack to clear a rear mounted spare tire would also be appreciated. Thx
Why wouldn't you just use the spare tire and mount the bikes to it? This one works very very well, but there are several types and in my opinion I like these better than the hitch mounts myself.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Why wouldn't you just use the spare tire and mount the bikes to it? This one works very very well, but there are several types and in my opinion I like these better than the hitch mounts myself.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Thx, and that's a very good, helpful idea. I've considered it too.

My big problem is, I have to drop the spare tire (it's on a bottom hinged pivot) to access the hatch for my propane generator. Adding the weight and size of two bikes to that mess would be a bigger headache than it already is.

That swing down Suby hitch above might work...if it wouldn't be too wobbly after getting connected to a hitch extension to clear the spare. I'm just not sure how well the hitch extension would work/fit?

Gooseberry

Explorer
The one thing I need to say is if any mount touches the frame it will mark the frame at the attachment points. I have tried many and used securing methods to not loose a bike off-road and have bikes with wear makes from that. Once I stepped up to the 1up all I need to worry about is the pedals hitting the frame of the bikes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hurstjd

Adventurer
We bought the rockymounts rack. It is really cool. It seems well built and it swings away. (Important for getting into the back doors of our van).

Also, I do have an extension on it to get past the spare tire. Doesn't seem to be a problem. I also use a StowAway Hitch Tightener, Anti-Rattle Stabilizer, to stabilize the mount as it goes into the hitch.

It holds two bikes of all sizes. It can support up to 62 pounds per bike. Right now we have two fat-tire RAD Ebikes. It seems to carry them with no problem.

Check them out.

https://rockymounts.com/products/backstage-swing-away-platform-hitch-rack

Boatbuilder79

Would take one pissed off LEO to bring that up, my parents probably have 200k miles w/a hitch mounted cargo hauler and never had complaint.. I run an automatic license plate reader on my street and the number of plates being obsecured w/hitches, bike racks, hitch mounted platforms, mud, snow, so old they dont reflect anything, damaged to the point of unreadable, is extremely high.

Why are you running a plate reader? You the “take back” man or something?

Boatbuilder79

Why?

I use a cheap double receiver from harbor freight with a cheap Allen bike rack on my f150. The double receiver puts the bike rack far enough back to open the tailgate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior