Hitch Gate spare tire carrier

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
Tire Gate hitch mounted carrier

I've been searching for a tire carrier to get the spare tire off my roof rack and came across the above. I did a quick search here to see if anyone had written anything about it and didn't find anything useful. Does anyone have one of these? Do you think it's a waste of money? Do you think I could have one built for less?

kcowyo

ExPo Original
I know of a guy who runs their 'Vertical Tire Gate', on his F250 with a Four Wheel Camper. He's happy with it and it sounds like the construction is holding up well for him.

If you only want a tire carrier for your spare without the expense of a full bumper too you should check out CBI's tire carrier mounted on a hitch receiver. His products are well received and the quality is highly rated.

rockys_tire_carrier.jpg

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Tiregate products are WAY overpriced IMO, you could get a complete bumper with swingout for about the same money elsewhere.

X2 on CBI, high quality and great people to deal with. Call Steve and he'll make whatever you want!

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Swing away tire carriers are much more complex to build than bumpers, so the price may be well deserved.

Can you build one for less, probably, but how much is your time worth?

It's a pet peeve of mine, but we seem to undervalue the skills, time, and ingenuity of other people and companies. We are all shocked at the sticker price.

How much are people paying for the services you offer? I'm not talking about your wage or salary, I'm talking about the amount billed out by the company or organization you work for?

Are people suffering sticker shock on the product or service you provide?

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
I understand the quality work/labor costs good money. I'm looking for the best option at the best price.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
The swinging Tire Gate is $700. To compare, a TJM #1003 100 series Cruiser rear bumper is $1000 and the swing out upgrade for it (their #1004) is $650. This Tire Gate seems reasonably priced for the market.

BTW, anyone know what CBI gets for their tire carrier?

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
DaveInDenver said:
The swinging Tire Gate is $700. To compare, a TJM #1003 100 series Cruiser rear bumper is $1000 and the swing out upgrade for it (their #1004) is $650. This Tire Gate seems reasonably priced for the market.

BTW, anyone know what CBI gets for their tire carrier?

I emailed for a quote. I also asked if a gas can and high lift mount could be added.

BigAl

Expedition Leader
It really sits back. I'd look for something that is closer to the hatch. I wonder how hard it would be to put the tire on the inside of the upright?

img_hg4.gif

JohnD

Ive got one and really like it>..\
pics:
bigbear07083mw3.jpg

bigbear07082dj6.jpg

tierodsend028zq9.jpg

tierodsend029do2.jpg

tierodsend019sd1.jpg

tierodsend018tt8.jpg

tierodsend011qu8.jpg

tierodsend014wu7.jpg

overall not a bad addition to the truck, it also acts as a rear slider in some cases... Also you get a price break if you mention toyota120.com to paul or bob who is my contact at wilco...

Last edited:

JohnD

Yes CBI does great work,"those dudes got mad skills" but the reason i webt hitch gate was for the swing out to the left of the truck, which allows me unobstructed access to the rear cargo area.. CBI drop downs right behind the cargo area. If not for that reason i would have got a CBI version. and of course the cheaper overall price.

Both arw great products and which ever way you go, you will not be disappointed.

Goodluck

Xwhatever on CBI. Steve made my swing out bumper and sliders. He is a great guy and will also make anything you want. His prices are also very competitive. From the quality of his swing out bumper, I am sure his hitch version is top notch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles