Hitch Gate spare tire carrier

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
JohnD, how easy is it to get the tire off the rear carrier? Looks like a pain to me? Was there an option to install Toyota studs and use regular lugs?

JohnD

CA-RJ said:
JohnD, how easy is it to get the tire off the rear carrier? Looks like a pain to me? Was there an option to install Toyota studs and use regular lugs?

Its actually quite easy to remove. Ive since tack welded the grade8 bolt iuse to mount the tire.. There was no option for that, but can be remedied quite easy with a welder!~:jump:

Bergger

Explorer
DaveInDenver said:
BTW, anyone know what CBI gets for their tire carrier?

I have been looking at getting one of these and most likely will soon. I have to email Steve again and make sure I can use it on both my Tacoma and the Chaser. I'll need to use it on the Chaser to hold the Taco's spare if it is towed with our Xterra since the bolt patterns are different. Steve quoted me in December $249 plus about $30-40 in shipping. Great price if you ask me.

aliencactus

I have the HG swing away w/dual jerry cans on order for my silverado...
Next year I intend to sell the truck and start a sportsmobile-like project,
The HG unit will be transferred to the new vehicle.

I am thinking about replacing one of the Jerry cans with this:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
I have the HG swing away w/dual jerry cans on order for my silverado...
Next year I intend to sell the truck and start a sportsmobile-like project,
The HG unit will be transferred to the new vehicle.

I am thinking about replacing one of the Jerry cans with this:

Those are real neat. Good luck keeping dust and water out of it though.

HostileJava

Observer
I know this is an older thread, but I was wondering if anyone has any experiencing towing with one of these. They are rated at 750 tongue and 7500 pull but, I was hoping for some real world experience.

tlin

Adventurer
Didn't read the entire thread but Detour USA is worth checking out. Thread over on Mud got my attention a while back - effective, inexpensive, does the job of getting the tire out of the stock location (also keeps it off the roof). Something to look at......

http://www.detoursusa.com/knucklebone.php

I've got a Gobi ladder off my hatch which this would have interfered with otherwise I was ready to jump. I talked to the owner as well - totally nice guy.

cheers

screwball48

Explorer
Didn't read the entire thread but Detour USA is worth checking out. Thread over on Mud got my attention a while back - effective, inexpensive, does the job of getting the tire out of the stock location (also keeps it off the roof). Something to look at......

http://www.detoursusa.com/knucklebone.php

I've got a Gobi ladder off my hatch which this would have interfered with otherwise I was ready to jump. I talked to the owner as well - totally nice guy.

cheers

One thing about the knucklebone from Detours is that they offer an option to bolt the carrier around a rear hitch tube. This allows you to offset the carrier to one side or another. I may go this route on my XJ instead of the one that fits inside the receiver hitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tlin

Adventurer
One thing about the knucklebone from Detours is that they offer an option to bolt the carrier around a rear hitch tube. This allows you to offset the carrier to one side or another. I may go this route on my XJ instead of the one that fits inside the receiver hitch.

Interesting - you're talking about laying something like this sideways to give some off-center clearance and then going with the Knucklebone (correct?). Didn't think of that.....

screwball48

Explorer
The one I am referencing actually pivots to one side. Here is one of the better pictures I found on the net.
a818c6ffaf0fc280fb7a20d10bd92109.jpg

If you look close you can see the tube for the vehicle hitch, and how the knucklebone bolts/clamps around the tube of the actual hitch frame.

ak_cowboy

Observer
Has anyone had any experience with this gate? ^^^^^

Or any gate that rotates up from the bumper (vertically) instead of swinging away from it (horizontally)

Cyph86

Going with Hitchgate

Ive done a ton of research and for the money Hitchgate seems to be the way to go. Their wedgelock system makes it so the hardware wont rattle and it can hold a ton of weight. Im will be ordering mine in the offset config for my 2004 silverado 2500hd. it has plenty of room to mount a jack and/or jerry cans in between the tire and the truck also ) to answer a previous question. If i remember ill post updates on how i like it.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Has anyone had any experience with this gate? ^^^^^

Or any gate that rotates up from the bumper (vertically) instead of swinging away from it (horizontally)

It looks (at least in the picture posted here) like you can't open the hatch with that unit installed. I fail to see any advantage to the pivot part of that carrier. It looks like a very flimsy design too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz