Hitch Carrier?

mnwanders

Hi everyone, I'm new to this realm and posted in the General chat section a couple days ago about getting a new bike. I got a lot of great suggestions on bike model and helmets. One thing I failed to ask about on that post is about hitch carriers. Prior to getting the bike, I probably need to pick up a hitch carrier since I'm likely to travel to buy a bike and I don't anticipate my wife coming with me. Any recommendations on good hitch carriers? I'm looking for something that will stand up to some robust rough road use.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Re-posting from your other thread.

I've settled on a 600lb capacity BlackWidow SMC600

It's beefy enough to carry different bikes and feels solid especially with the addition of a Anti-Rattle Stabilizer

The BlackWidow will hold everything from a scooter to a BMW GS (the guy who sold it to me hauled his GS on it)

I've used the Ultimate MX-Hauler with much success and it's nice for some stuff like removing wheel to fix a flat if needed while the bike is on the carrier, but I found that it flopped around a bit on the rough roads. It never had an actual problem, but it's un-nerving to see it moving around in my rearview mirror.

I also use a cheap Harbor Freight type for my CRF250 on short runs for day rides and it's fin. Its just not very beefy for bigger bikes.

Willsfree

Howdy Cabrito, I too have been wanting to get a bike onto the hitch of my Chevy Express AWD. I was looking at the Hitch Swing options, hoping to get access to the rear doors, but looks as though they sag lower than the hitch receiver and don't hold much weight (only for a sub 300lb bike). Would the MX Ultimate Hauler allow for access to the rear doors when in the dropped position? Is it fairly easy to drop the bike low and then raise it back up? Thinking I'll put my KLR250 on the back for now and then maybe upgrade to a peppier steed later down the road. Waiting to upgrade the van with a new leaf spring pack to gain a few more inches.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Howdy Cabrito, I too have been wanting to get a bike onto the hitch of my Chevy Express AWD. I was looking at the Hitch Swing options, hoping to get access to the rear doors, but looks as though they sag lower than the hitch receiver and don't hold much weight (only for a sub 300lb bike). Would the MX Ultimate Hauler allow for access to the rear doors when in the dropped position? Is it fairly easy to drop the bike low and then raise it back up? Thinking I'll put my KLR250 on the back for now and then maybe upgrade to a peppier steed later down the road. Waiting to upgrade the van with a new leaf spring pack to gain a few more inches.

Hi Willsfree,
Rear access is always the big tradeoff with these and any other hitch carrier. It's pretty easy to lower it to gain access, and I could lower my MX Hauler and get the rear door on the FJ open, but not all the way. It does take a few minutes though, and isn't super convenient. You have to unscrew the threaded locking pin/bolt and then lower the bike. Then you have to pump up the jack to raise it back up. Multiple steps, and time. It's a bit of a pain for quick access for sure.

First thing I do when I get to camp is remove the bike and hauler (If I'm camping)

My BlackWidow is nice because I can open the FJ Rear door all the way with the carrier on the hitch and bike removed.

adaml

I've got a Black Widow "heavy duty" carrier as well but it's not the aluminum one. It's actually the one you see here https://www.blackwidowpro.com/motorcycle/carriers/p/mcc-600/ That being said, I think the aluminum one is better and apparently cheaper. The loops on mine don't necessarily instill confidence while it looks like the aluminum version has eye bolts that are put through the boxes. I presume that's stronger.

jkam

nomadic man
I had one made using the existing 2" receiver and then had them add two more to make it really stout.
And once the bike is off, it makes a great spot for my grille.
Copy of bike rack mount to bumper.jpg
IMG_0592.JPG

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Great looking build overall, and I really like the shaft/bolt thing through the rear wheel!

Porkchopexpress

I didn't check what size reciever you have but I have an F350 on order, (delayed for chip shortage) with a 3". I have been looking at etrailer under hitch fabrication parts to come up with ideas for a robust carrier that will extend beyond the slide in camper. I figure a 2.5" reciever with .25" walls should slide into the 3" reciever, then I can have a 2" reciever welded inside and cut to size, drilled out for a pin and either powder coated or rattle can it.

For your purpose, maybe you could increase weight capacity by welding on bigger square tubes if you have a 2.5 or 3 inch reciever.

Alloy

I didn't check what size reciever you have but I have an F350 on order, (delayed for chip shortage) with a 3". I have been looking at etrailer under hitch fabrication parts to come up with ideas for a robust carrier that will extend beyond the slide in camper. I figure a 2.5" reciever with .25" walls should slide into the 3" reciever, then I can have a 2" reciever welded inside and cut to size, drilled out for a pin and either powder coated or rattle can it.

For your purpose, maybe you could increase weight capacity by welding on bigger square tubes if you have a 2.5 or 3 inch reciever.

I used 1/4" x 2 1/2 for the cross tube any bigger than that and it wouldn't fit behind the bumper.

F5driver

Adventurer
I hang my bikes off the back of the LC and my truck. The key to a hitch carrier is finding a way to anchor the bike to the vehicle. Super steady if you can do that.

Attachments

• 1DFC1E2A-017C-4C9F-8962-FFD166FB714D.jpeg
    1DFC1E2A-017C-4C9F-8962-FFD166FB714D.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 17

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Ultimate MX Hauler. It's pricey but yo will not find a better, more secure and easier to load hitch mounted bike carrier out there. Takes about a minute to load a bike on it by yourself.

QlbFxMW.jpg

No one beats the ground clearance or departure angle of this one.

CELTnKe.jpg

Works great back or front of vehicle.

JIJsnJu.jpg

I have had a street bike on it once, for 2,600 miles across the country. It worked but I wouldn't recommend it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles