hitch bike rack wobble

Oscar Mike Gulf Yankee

You can also tighten up the receiver with two bolts drilled through the male and female pieces, one vertical and as far from that hole as you can with one horizontal.
It's because of the slop in the receiver tube.

Awkragt

Adventurer
Yeah another good option for bike racks that you might want to lock is this: Let's Go Aero (SHP2040) Keyless Press-on Locking Silent Hitch Pin for 2in Hitches Hitch Lock

It's very similar to the Curt but locking. I use that in combination with the U-bolt shown at the beginning of the thread and the rack is extremely firm. I honestly think any remaining wobble comes from the 100 series hitch which isn't super stout.

TwinStick

Explorer
I just made my own. Used pipe as a spacer inside the hitch and a piece of threaded rod & used 2 nuts on each side. No movement at all. Can't collapse it because of the spacer pipe inside.

Steve_382

I use the ones with the big spring nut inside the rack and the threaded bolt like the Let's Go Aero mentioned above. Just crank the bolt down tight and there is no wiggle at least from the connection to the hitch. The bike rack itself can still wobble, but that's another issue.

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
Nothing works except a 2nd receiver. The amount of twisting torque on your hitch will always wallow out the receiver and create slop. I have a triple.

macexpress

Observer
I have a 6 bike Lolo Rack and it came with a set up like the Let's Go Aero listed above. Basically no movement at all, and I've put quite a few miles on it

jmnielsen

Tinkerer
Get something designed properly to take the slop out. I have a 1up rack that doesn't move at all. I know Kuat has a similar anti-wobble design, but I prefer 1up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles