Hit or pass on 95 Tacoma

fnjeep314

Observer
I ran across a 95 Tacoma with an extended cab, 3.4 V6, 5spd, bed liner and power everything for a really good price. The only hang up I have is that it has 242K put on it by 1 owner. I know that Toyotas do really well on higher mileage, I had a 94 Camry with 198K, but thats a different beast. I am wanting to build an expo rig similar to Baja Taco's built. I have been impressed with the things he had done for years now. I am wanting to know if it would be worth it to get this rig with higher mileage, and other associated problems. I have a friend that had a 95 Tacoma that started falling apart just before 300K, so I want to make sure that I can get more than 56K out of this rig before having to find something new.

Here is the idea of what I want to do(Baja Taco's rig, sorry for stealing it!)
camper01.jpg

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
A lot of it hinges on where those miles occurred. I would rather have 242k miles of careful ownership than 50k miles of rental. Get a pre-purchase inspection and go into it knowing what you are getting.

I will let the Toyota people chime in with specifics for that vehicle...

robert

Expedition Leader
FWIW, my first Taco was a 95 1/2 (they still had the truck for the first part of 95 and changed mid-year). The only issues I had were the weak factory suspension (fixed with OME on the front and Alcons on the rear), an AC line that leaked after it rubbed on the firewall where the grommet came out, a seal that went bad on the left side rear axle around 130k, and a pulley bearing that went bad. I did routine maintenance including brakes and a Centerforce clutch (~130k also and the one that was in it still had plenty of life in it). I had to replace three windshields and two side windows due to rocks and thieves. It had approximately 190k when it got totaled and I'd have driven it anywhere with confidence. I'm not sure why, but I still prefer that body style over the new one and I liked the way it felt and drove better too- I think it just had a bit more character.

If the truck is well maintained it should be good to go for plenty more miles, but you're putting a lot of faith in the other guy's maintenance. Most of the parts aren't that expensive, but if you end up needing to rebuild the engine that's another story.

Applejack

Explorer
When buying a high mileage (100k+) vehicle of any make, just be prepared to dump some cash into it. You may luck out and it will take you to 450k with no problems, but you never know. I just like my surprises to be pleasant ones.

slus

Adventurer
Does he have records? I wouldnt be sacred of it, but you need to know it was taken care of. I'm sure it's time for CV shafts, possibly timing belt because I put off replacing it once... this one should be on its 3rd belt, water pump, start thinking wheel bearings just to be on the safe side...etc. Stuff wears out no matter how well it was taken care of.

Also, why are you tempted by this truck, good deal I assume? Tacomas are not exactly a rare vehicle...wait for what you want.

fnjeep314

Observer
Yes, it is a good deal. $2500. I havent talked to the owner yet, as I wanted to gauge an opinion before wasting anyones time. I have wanted a V6 5spd tacoma or 4 runner ever since a girl I dated long ago had a v6 5spd 2nd gen 4runner. I loved driving that thing! I had a 3rd gen auto 4runner, and it just wasnt the same.

laxtoy

Adventurer
$2500??? for that price i'll buy it! my sister has a 97 3.4l 5 speed she bought at 14,000 miles with now close to 300k of mixed miles on it, and is not so good at doing any maintenance besides changing the oil (i keep her up to date with what i can :) ). it just goes and goes, and is completely the reason why i bought mine. the engine still feels tight as does the transmission, and you can just tell by driving it it's still solid. a little insight, you can look at the salvage websites and would be lucky to find a totalled truck for that price. i think with access to the resources online like forums such as this one and ttora and yotatech, you would easily be able to find a decent used parts from someone parting out a low milage vehicle should you run into any problems down the road... for that price, well worth it imo.

doogie

$2,500 is that a typo?

For that price it shouldn't even be a question. That truck in my area would sell for $5,000 or more. In good shape probably $6,000. A guy that works with my dad sold his V6 X-cab 4x4 with 260k on it for $5,000 just a month ago. It supposedly had a new motor put in it around 200,000 but that was unverified. A freind of my brother in law sold his single cab 4x4 4cyl a week ago for $4,000 with 210,000 on it and it needed a bumper and fender. It is a 4x4 right and not a prerunner? That would make it worth sligtly less but not to much. If you buy it and it blows up tomorrow and you don't want to put a new motor in it you could part it out and make your money back. Buy it.

expeditionist

Observer
I agree Toyotas are utterly reliable, however, every vehicle needs maintenance to keep it that way including Toyotas. Expect little things to need repairs and bigger things from time to time too. I personally would hesitate to start an Expo build on a platform with that kind of milage but if it still runs like a top and all the records are there to reflect regular maintenace, you might be good to go for another few years I think the price is fair given the truck is 15 years old with that kind of milage. Good Luck and keep us posted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior