Hino Motors will halt its plants and postpone new-model sales in the U.S. and Canada

carterd

Although the Hino platform is not popular in the the U.S. for expedition builds, it was one of the few cabover options available. Problems certifying its diesel engine have led to the ending of U.S. and Canadian sales until September 2021. It will be interesting to see if they ultimately pull out of the North American market like Fuso, figure out a way to certify the engine, or throw in a gas engine. So if you want to buy a new cabover in N.A., the Isuzu/Chevy platform appears to be the only game in town.

Note that the cabover is not produced in North America (my quick web search revealed they only produce Class 6 an 7 trucks here), but sales are halted.

Toyota Motor Corp.’s truck and bus arm Hino Motors Ltd. will halt its plants and postpone new-model vehicle sales in the U.S. and Canada as a result after it faced issues with the certification of its engines.
Hino will suspend production at its West Virginia plant in the U.S. and its Woodstock plant in Canada until the end of September next year, the company said in a statement Wednesday. The decision came after Hino’s board of directors met earlier in the day.
The production halt follows “challenges in the required U.S. engine certification testing process” for new model years of a number of the company’s engines for the North American market. Hino is investigating the impact of the suspension on its earnings and will provide any updates in due course, it said.
Hino vehicle sales are projected to drop sharply in North America, falling 53% year-on-year to 8,000 units for the fiscal year ending March, according to Wednesday’s statement. Global sales are forecast to decrease 21% over the same period.

kerry

Expedition Leader
Does anyone know if they sell in Europe and what difficulties they face in certification they don’t face in other markets?

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I drove a 1992 Hino medium duty tilt cab for 240K city stop and go miles. I-4 diesel with vacuum operated Allison auto. That was the most dependable vehicle I've ever driven. Hino makes good products.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles