Hino 4x4

dzzz

Anyone seen this model?

Nice specs for OZ. Seems perfect as a beefier FG.
Hino is Toyota I belive

4951035111_a088358f1f_b.jpg

Last edited:

cwsqbm

Explorer
Yet another truck we can't get in the USA.
Hino has only recently sold trucks in the USA, and we only get conventional cab (no cabovers).

haven

Expedition Leader
While Hino sells only conventional cab trucks in USA today, they did import the cab forward models for several years. No 4x4 that I can find. Here's a listing of cab forward Hino medium trucks for sale today
http://www.truckpaper.com/list/list.aspx?Manu=HINO&Mdltxt=FE2620

This 2003 model with extended cab and 14 foot refrigerated body looks attractive. $17,000 with only 66K miles. Needs new tires, though.
http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=2410985

Just to deposit more drool onto your keyboard, check out the trucks Hino builds for its Dakar Rally racing team

http://www.hino-global.com/dakar/team_sugawara/racing_trucks.html

OTR

Adventurer
I had one Hino truck in my fleet several years ago. It was a cab-over with a scissor lift and dump bed. The truck turned out to be the most reliable truck we had and never broke down. The guys would overload the truck all the time and it was pushed to the limits multiple times. It was pretty comfortable and was usually chosen first to drive to a construction site, especially if it was a several hour drive. It would be smart for Toyota to push these trucks in the U.S. so they can finally make a 1-ton Tundra (hint,hint Toyota)

DzlToy

Explorer
Hino IS Toyota, always has been, AFAIK... UD is Nissan Diesel America.

There are two 500 series Hino Xtra Cabs (body style shown above) sitting at a SE US salvage yard, though I have never seen a crew cab Hino in that body style in the US..

Would be a cool build, but IIRC, they are the size of an FM Fuso.

Someone mentioned in the FE/FG thread below this that we didnt have anything between those two sizes, but UD makes 18k, 20k and 21-22k models before going to the big trucks.

Isuzu had an FRR until 2004 at least and Mitsu has imported various medium size models (bigger than FE/FG but smaller than FH/FM)

HINO SG

Adventurer
Hino has only recently sold trucks in the USA, and we only get conventional cab (no cabovers).

First official U.S. spec HINO's were late 80's or maybe early 90's. I think 2005 was the last year of the global market cab-over model in the USA; all current models are a USA specific model assembled in the USA.

good product, has never been available with 4x4 in the USA; seems like HINO/Toyota will eventually identify a gap in the 1-ton and up market that they can make money in here but not holding my breath.

sprale

Observer
Hino IS Toyota, always has been, AFAIK... UD is Nissan Diesel America.

Hino has only been with Toyota since '67, though they've been making automobiles since 1917. Toyota killed off their passenger car line to focus them on commercial/industrial vehicles.

hino1.jpg

haven

Expedition Leader
"Is Pioneer 4 wheel drive in Montana still around making conversions to the UD trucks"

The Pioneer web pages are defunct, so I think they dropped out of this business. The core company is Montana Forklift in Missoula. They are still open for business.

dzzz

Any idea on world Hino and UD market share?

The UD sold in the U.S. is a nice range of sizes. Can't say I've ever seen one.
Hinos in the U.S. are being used a lot as Interstate barrier trucks - carrying the barricades to close lanes during road construction. Can't say I've seen one used for anything else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles