Hino 4x4

RepairmanSki

Observer
Well I'll give my delivery information if someone else gives thier payment information.

I'm actually quite envious of anyone that has one of those vehicles and covetous of them in general. Thankfully I have not fulfilled my parental duties, else I would be considering some drastic action.

sprale

Observer
Hino Cars
Last of them that I know of
ContessaFrontront.jpg

Reminds me of a chubby Corvair.

Ultimark

anything new? old thread, but i still want a Hino 4x4 in north america.

I looked very closely at the Hino 300 4x4 last year, I pitted it directly against the Isuzu NPS 300 4x4. Both are rated to a GVM of 7500kg (7.5 tonnes)

The Hino is a very nice light truck, the rear axle is monstrous and as I understand, comes directly from their 13 tonne truck, which while great, means you have extra weight in materials
instead of load. Shouldn't ever break though.

Axle maximums are interesting, the Hino front is 2800kg rear is 6200kg, while the Isuzu is 3100kg front and 6600kg rear. With the slightly lighter Isuzu, the Isuzu is a winner just on that criteria. Especially if one hangs a bull bar and/or winch off of the front axle.

Wheelbase on the Hino is 3500mm, Isuzu 3395mm. Turning circle kerb to kerb, Hino 14600mm Isuzu 13600mm. The Isuzu certainly is better in tight situations on paper and when driving it really is quite nifty in around town situations and elsewhere. Really quite easy to do three point U turns on tight narrowish dirt roads/tracks.

The Hino is 6205mm overall length cab chassis no body, while the Isuzu is 5985mm overall length cab chassis no body. Our Isuzu is 6550mm overall, with a real world length which includes a bull bar winch combination on the front to the rear of the tray. We have a cab chassis with a tray back with which we have a slide-on camper permanently bolted to the tray.

The Hino is disc braked on all four wheels, while the Isuzu is drum brakes all round. In the past when traversing wet sandy tracks, I have worn a set of front disc pads out in a single day, not to mention the scoring of the rotors themselves, while the rear drums worked very well on the same day and never needed anything for years. Having drum brakes doesn't worry me and I know they pull the Isuzu up very well as I had a quick stop only last week running at our normal touring weight, which is approximately 5500kg. So if you wish for constant stopping, then the Hino with disc brakes is probably the go, or if in our situation, only using the brakes every hour or so when travelling outside of built up areas, then the Isuzu with drum brakes will suffice.

If you could live with the steering wheel on the wrong side of the cabin for your country, then you could do worse than pop down to Australia and take one back home then get a LHD conversion done in the USA. registering it of course could be interesting, if not almost impossible, but one can dream, eh? :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94