HillBillyRV Build Thread - 87 Ford E350 Quadravan Pathfinder Conversion

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Hi All,
Well, my Darling Wife finally allowed me buy the flavor of rig that I've desired since the beginning of my whole "Overland" obsession. A 4X4 Van. She noticed what seemed to be what she refers to as an "off-road van" on the side of the highway while on the way home this week. She called me and suggested that we might go and take a look after dinner. We did.

Now, it should be clearly stated that up until this happened I'd been searching Craigslist for "4X4 van" and "Quigley" and "Pathfinder" every day for years. More recently I've been openly investigating "2018 Chevy 4X4 conversions", "Transits", "Sprinters", and worse. I've been babbling about interest rates, options, warranty implications for 4X4 van conversions, etc., etc., etc.

If you've seen my Jeep build thread on this forum...I tried. A two door JK just isn't big enough. Not even for one person. Not even if you spend $25,000 in accessories. So, since Wife realized that I was about to spend some real money on a new van....

Say "Hello" to HillBillyRV:
1.jpg

Now, I'm a little bit "Anal". Wife is too. When I say "Anal" it I mean it in the Freudian sense of the term. "Previously-Owned" rigs scare the crap out of us. Who knows what happened before today, right? Other people pee in their gas cans. They drive for 20,000 miles between oil changes. They purposefully smear fry-sauce on the seat covers. They don't care. Some trusting turd will buy their crap and take their word for everything. Right?

We don't own any used rigs. Each was purchased new from the dealer. I maintain them or track the dealer-monkeys that do. Solid.

HillBillyRV has a little rust. She has a little "wiring drama". A little bit of "why is the front-right side of the rig an inch or two lower than the left" situation is in play. She pulls to the right like she means it. At 65 MPH she shakes like a mad dog sh!tting peach seeds. But, I still fell in love with the old broad. Mostly because she doesn't seem to have any problems that scare me. People say that vans have a high center-of-gravity, and that you should be wary of this. Those people haven't tried to drive a 2-door JK with 300 lbs. of crap on the roof.

Previous owner is "GoodPeople". He owned the van for 12 years and kept up with her demands. I now have a 31 year old van that doesn't leak fluids in my driveway. Pretty sure that's rare! On the first day of texting with this fellow, he offered to let me take it for "24 or 48 hours" to check it over carefully, take it to a mechanic, whatever. Didn't ask for a deposit. Didn't threaten me. I accepted and he actually let me take it. How weird is that? I'm going to invite this guy to some group camping trips because he is the type of person I like to see around a campfire. As it turns out, he knows my brother-in-law. They are both "GoodPeople". We live in a small world.

Today I pulled the driver an passenger doors apart to see what's what. Took some pictures and whatnot. It begins!

Congratulations!
With just a little work, this will be a workhorse of a unit! Never fear anything. The best part of older vehicles is that there is a ton of support all over the western hemisphere. I bounced a worn 95 Bronco all over the western US for a long time, the only time it left me stranded was in my drive way on a saturday morning, fuel pump. LOL

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Anybody know what these are called, and where to get them? The local Ford dealer didn't seem to have a clue. This connects the arm of the factory door lock silenoid to the door lock mechanism. I'm pretty sure that several of them have broken (and verified that one has failed).

The dealer told me that the color of the "widget" determines either the hole or rod size. He have me a green one, but the original was orange.
3.jpg
4.jpg

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
In the "Help" section in blister packs or on near the bolt racks at your local Autozone or favorite parts store. OR the local Pull A Part salvage yard off any older Ford door.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
In the "Help" section in blister packs or on near the bolt racks at your local Autozone or favorite parts store. OR the local Pull A Part salvage yard off any older Ford door.

Thanks. I found some online, but I'd rather buy them locally if possible. Will check the local Auto stores tomorrow.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
No pictures, but I have taken care of a few important things:
  • Had the van aligned and replaced the Pitman arm ball joint. There is much less play in the steering now.
  • Rotated the tires (doesn't look to have been done in years).
  • Installed a new steering stabilizer
  • Nearly finished with rebuilding both front inner doors due to a failed power window on the driver side. Both doors have been stripped and cleaned.
  • Will install new windows channels, inner and outer belt strips, and power window motors this weekend.
  • Bought permanent registration and vanity plates
  • Got her insured
  • Removed the silly rear bench seat and some DIY shelving that was in the back.
  • Removed a lot of disused wiring
  • Started to plan the cabinet & kitchen layout.
  • Started to plan the roof repair and painting in preparation of a Front Runner Slimline II roof rack
While getting to know the old girl, I found that one of the mufflers is rubbing against the rear driveline. So, exhaust will be next I think. I plan to remove the dual exhaust and install a two-to-one muffler (2.25 in and 3 out). When this thing starts cold the choke sets the RPM so high that it sounds like a jet engine. I'm sure the neighbors just loooooove that. I'm looking to lower the noise level and raise the center clearance underneath (the dual mufflers are installed sideways...hanging down).

After that, gonna have to get new tires.

Anybody have any thoughts on the exhaust?

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Today I installed the new driver and passenger side window channels, belt strips (inner & outer) and power window motors. Everything works. I have to tell you that it is like driving a different rig when the windows work! I had to order some parts to repair the power door lock motors. Until they arrive, have been installed, and tested I won't put the door panels back on.

Also managed to center the steering wheel today by adjusting the draglink. Funny that they didn't center the steering wheel while doing the alignment. The rig is working better and better.

Found out that since I have R16.5 inch rims, my choices for tires are:
  • Buy Super Swamper tires at between $300-400 each plus $200.00 to sandblast & powdercoat my aluminum wheels or,
  • Buy new 16 inch rims at appr. $100.00 per + appr $200.00 per KM2 or,
  • Find a wheel to fit a KM3...but it doesn't look like they have a fit for 16 inch wheels
  • Figure out something else entirely. Darnit!

Teamoatmealpie

Observer
Don't get me wrong that is a rad van, I'd certainly drive it, but is has a certain look. If I saw that parked in the woods I'd give it a wide berth as surely there is an ax murderer in there. No one is ever going to consider stealing from it, should you go for a hike and leave the van unattended in the woods.

You should wear ski masks while driving on the highway to make friends with your fellow travelers, lol!!!!

sackettmw

Found out that since I have R16.5 inch rims, my choices for tires are:
  • Buy Super Swamper tires at between $300-400 each plus $200.00 to sandblast & powdercoat my aluminum wheels or,
  • Buy new 16 inch rims at appr. $100.00 per + appr $200.00 per KM2 or,
  • Find a wheel to fit a KM3...but it doesn't look like they have a fit for 16 inch wheels
  • Figure out something else entirely. Darnit!

If your going to buy new wheels, think about getting 17s. They are more common now and, like you figured out, more new tire offerings. 16.5 is only cool if you have to change a tire by hand.

Cool van.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Don't get me wrong that is a rad van, I'd certainly drive it, but is has a certain look. If I saw that parked in the woods I'd give it a wide berth as surely there is an ax murderer in there. No one is ever going to consider stealing from it, should you go for a hike and leave the van unattended in the woods.

You should wear ski masks while driving on the highway to make friends with your fellow travelers, lol!!!!

Good! :cool:

If your going to buy new wheels, think about getting 17s. They are more common now and, like you figured out, more new tire offerings. 16.5 is only cool if you have to change a tire by hand.

Cool van.

Thanks, and I agree. Right now I'm thinking about some 17 inch rims to move my KM2s from the Jeep to the van. Then I could put some KM3s on the Jeep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles