HiLift Jack on an ARB Front Bumper

UncleChris

Adventurer
Is anybody running their HiLift Jack on top of their ARB bumper?

If so, how is it mounted? Got any pics?

Thanks

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
I run mine on my spare tire carrier
but I see them front mounted all the time.
I know of two solutions
1- they sell mounts that are like rings that bolt on to the tob bar of the brush guard and then have a stud sticking up to mount the jack to.
2 - weld on two studs to the bumper.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
mcvickoffroad said:
I run mine on my spare tire carrier
but I see them front mounted all the time.
I know of two solutions
1- they sell mounts that are like rings that bolt on to the tob bar of the brush guard and then have a stud sticking up to mount the jack to.
2 - weld on two studs to the bumper.

If i am not mistaken, the 80 series ARB bumper has 2 light/antenna mounts on the top bar and they are perfectly spaced to mount a hi lift jack on with a few simple studs! :D

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
My Land Rover Discovery ARB front bumper has the same tabs on it.
Great idea on mounting the jack there! I wonder how the spacing would work...

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
I've been thinking about this myself - ever since I saw a Disco with a jack mounted there. Question is, are the antenna mounts strong enough to hold a jack safely???

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
The mounts I had on my old ARB bumper looked to be very stout with a broad weld. I bet they would be fine. On a Tacoma, I would be hesitant to mount any extra weight that far out front if it was a situation where you would easily be happy with it mounted somewhere between the axles. Not a biggie, but something to consider. Less weight up there is better IMO.

UncleChris

Adventurer
BajaTaco said:
The mounts I had on my old ARB bumper looked to be very stout with a broad weld. I bet they would be fine. On a Tacoma, I would be hesitant to mount any extra weight that far out front if it was a situation where you would easily be happy with it mounted somewhere between the axles. Not a biggie, but something to consider. Less weight up there is better IMO.

Thanks everyone,

I think that the tabs are strong enough to hold one, although the spacing is a little bit off. I used to run my HiLift on myYakima rack, and used a pair of extra bar tabs, longer carriage bolts and a pair of deep sockets to mount it up there. I was figuring that if I had long enough carriage bolts, I could use some sockets as a spacer and use my left over wing nuts from the Yakima.

Bajataco, that is a good point about the weight over the frontend. Does anyone have the jack secured in the bed? I have been using tiedowns, but it leaves a lot of freedom for the jack to move around.

60seriesguy

Adventurer
Maybe it's because my truck is tall, but doesn't the jack get awkward for working in the engine bay, or do you remove it? I was working on a buddy's D90 recently and between the branch deflectors and jack mounted on the bullbar, it's was very difficult to access most of the bay. Just a thought, I have my abomination (I mean, my Hi-Lift) mounted on the rear bumper.

BMAN

Adventurer
Although I'm sure the ARB front tabs can handle the jack being mounted there I've never been a fan of mounting a Hi-lift out front. The reason in my mind being safety. A Hi-lift is a big heavy javelin waiting to happen. In the rare instance that an externally mounted Hi-lift would work it's way loose from it's mount by either vibration or tampering a Hi-lift hitting the ground in front of your rig could deffinately make for a wild ride. I remember reading and seeing pics on a forum a few years back where a Hi-lift had dropped off the front of a TJ at speed and punctured the tub directly below the drivers seat. SCARY! Not that a Hi-lift falling off the back of the vehicle is any less dangerous to vehicles behind you, it's one of those things that's always kinda stuck in my head as a bad idea.

asteffes

Explorer
Seems like storing it in the bed would keep it a lot cleaner. I like working with clean tools... they require less fuss and last longer.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
UncleChris said:
Does anyone have the jack secured in the bed? I have been using tiedowns, but it leaves a lot of freedom for the jack to move around.

Yes, a lot of people have them in the bed. You can get the Loc-Rac brackets for a simple mounting solution.

offroad_nomad

Adventurer
I did something similar with my TJM bumper using roll bar brackets and 1/2" bolts welded to the brackets:
MyToyMedium.jpg

I've had my 48 inch Hi Lift mounted on my bumper for about 5,000 miles with no rattling. The roll bar brackets are quite stout and with two 1/2" bolts, I don't think the Hi Lift is going anywhere. Usually I put the Hi Lift on the night before a trail run, but I've been abit lazy and its been on the bumper throughout the winter. Even rough trails haven't affected the mounts. I occassionally spray my Hi Lift with WD-40.

Last edited:

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
You might be able to used some Quick Fist clamps.

UncleChris said:
Is anybody running their HiLift Jack on top of their ARB bumper?

If so, how is it mounted? Got any pics?

Thanks

I was just reading Scott's article on the use of Quick Fist clamps and thought that they might work for your application. Take a look at these pictures. Make sure to scroll down the page.
Cheers,
P

UncleChris

Adventurer
Thanks for the info on this guys.

Everyone seems to have pretty good ideas on this.

I followed BajaTaco's advice and picked up a Loc-Rac yesterday. With the adjustable tie-downs on the 05 Tacoma, I should be able to get a pretty mount with a minimum of effort.

What is a good source for quickfists? they seem to be really handy. I got all kinds of things that would be good to have secured.

ED:OOPS, found that the link above pointed me to a good source. Sorry bout that!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior