Hiking boots for little ones

kjp1969

Explorer
Yeah, whatever's on sale- they'll outgrow them in a year, maximum. Our kids have Hi-tec's or similar, they like them, and they were around $25 at Sportmart or Sport Chalet.

Superu

Explorer
My 7 and 9 year old are both in North Face Prophecy Hiking shoes for most of the year and whatever Hi-Tec or similar is on sale for hiking boots.

I've found that for most of what we do with them, the hiking shoes work very well and since the packs they carry are usually very light (camelbacks with small pouches), the additional support from a full boot is not missed.

My 4 year old always seems to score the best bargains on higher end stuff! He ran through last winter with a closeout pair of $90 boots that we scored for $22. :)

They've all been eyeing my Vasque Zephyrs since last winter though! :Wow1:

If you're looking for good hiking guides, I've found the "Best Hikes With Children" books by Cynthia C. Lewis to be excellent.

discodisco

Observer
Rei

REI is a good way of buying kids shoes. There are two ways to do this. One you buy them new and trade them in when they are too small. Or what we do is take advante of the people that do this. We go to the used gear sales and buy any good shoes (keens are our favorite). They are normally lightly used or not at all. This means grabbing shoes when you see them, even if they are two sizes too big. That way you have them when you need them. either way i totally agree that children grow out of them very very quickly

case

Observer
We've had good luck with Merrills and some of the New Balance models.
My child doesn't carry more than a snack, water and a rainshell so she doesn't need the support for a heavy load.

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
I went with the Merrills. Kids don't carry a lot. Just their snacks. I tend to be elected to carry their water. Lol:ylsmoke:

durango_60

Explorer
I highly suggest Keens, they are the only shoes that last long enough for my 7 year to outgrow them. I've had decent results with hi tecs and dismal experiences with childrens Merrils.

Last edited:

jbaucom

Salomon makes some nice kids hiking shoes that can be picked up pretty economically at REI if you pick up the ones that are on sale.

billiebob

USED.... lots of used sporting goods stores have childrens stuff specifically. We swore by Totem Outdoor Outfitters in Edmonton trading in ski equipment, hikers and clothing.... some Gortex... every season. They love the repeat business from young families. You will love the prices PLUS the ability to trade in the stuff kids out grow.

In fall half the store is used hockey equipment. But they carry everything. There must be a business like them near you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior