Highly custom Ruta Maya truck on eBay (again?)

Lynn

Expedition Leader
6081_12.JPG

I remember this truck being advertised before, and there was some info on expocampers. However, I could've swore it had a cat diesel in it...? IIRC Haven posted a link to the frame builder, and there were some other photos, one showing the custom dash he built?

Anyway, it seems it's listed again, and the auction will be ending soon.

No connection, etc., just thought I'd mention it.

ebay auction

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Any one else remember seeing this truck? Personally, I think it's a great purpose-built rig. No frills, ugly, tough-as-nails...

I would question the ability to register it as a Chevy, though, since the only thing Chevy is the cab. Sure, it has a Chevy VIN on the dash, but it's on a custom frame, therefore no VIN on the frame.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I was just going to post on this. Looks very heavy but very cool at the same time. That era of Chevy truck is actually one of my favorite, other than I always thought they were a little "ugly." They are extremely comfortable and feel great to drive despite their size. But this one is possibly the coolest looking of that era I've ever seen.. Plus the diesel conversion which could not be a more appropriate engine for it in my opinion. :)

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Not a single bid.

Seems like it would be worth $18K to the right person.

Two kids ago I would have been all over it.

Well, if I had had the money.

Sloan

Explorer
I never understand why people set a reserve and then start the bidding at $18K? Start that sucker at $1 and before people know it they are swept up in the moment and the reserve is there to protect you.

haven

Expedition Leader
more on Ruta Maya vehicle

Thanks, Lynn, for finding this camper again! Here's the information we discovered the first time this vehicle was offered for sale.

The "Ruta Maya" truck with Cummins diesel was first brought to our attention by OutbacKamper. I found the owner, Ray Tindall, and contacted him by email. Ray replied on 3/15/07

"Have had the truck since it was built in 1995...as I built it!!! As for mechanical issues, there are none. I would drive it to Baja tomorrow!!!! So yes it is sound and ready to go. The mileage is 115,000.

Service has always been performed by myself, on a regular basis. As a mechanic myself, I never let anyone else touch my truck!

The Ruta Maya Expedition...My wife, daughter and I drove this vehicle all through Baja, then ferried over to Mazatlan, and continued down as far as Belize and Guatamala. Exploring numerous ruins, and beaches and so on...There is so much to say about that trip, But would be much better to do so over the phone!!"

Ray included a phone number, so I called. Ray, the owner, is a union steamfitter by trade, and an accomplished mechanic and off-road enthusiast as well. Ray started work on the vehicle in 1991. Most of the work was done in 1994 and 1995, with the goal of a trip to Central America in 1996. Ray and his family traveled for more than 4 months in the vehicle in 1996. They returned home without significant mechanical difficulties.

The truck is not a daily driver. Instead it's used for off-road trips. Ray drove the truck back to Central America, on the Continental Divide trail from Canada to Mexico, and on lots of trips in northern Nevada.

Ray has not driven the truck much for the past year. He's currently building up a Series 55 Land Cruiser for adventure travel. Ray thinks the Land Cruiser will be a better choice for overland travel outside USA because parts availability in the third world is better. Also, the 55 is almost 12 inches narrower than the Chevy cab, so it's more maneuverable in narrow trails and tight city streets.

One feature Ray is putting into the Series 55 is a Wallas diesel cooktop. The stove will be mounted in a drawer that can be slid out through the side of the truck so the vehicle kitchen can be used inside or outside.

Back to the vehicle that's for sale.

At first I thought the engine, transmission, transfer case and axles might have come from a donor vehicle (like a medium-duty dump truck). Ray says he purchased all the parts new.

I learned that the "frame by Bud" reference is to the Northern Manufacturing company in Havre MT, builders of the Big Bud 4x4 tractor line. The Big Bud 16V 747, built in 1978, is still the single largest tractor ever built. Ray provided the specifications for the engine and axle locations, and the Bud people built the frame.

The heavy duty nature of the components is reflected in the vehicle weight. The truck without the camper weighs about 7500 lbs., similar to a Ford F450 or Dodge 4500 diesel 4x4 cab/chassis.

What about the 1973 Chevy cab? Ray was planning to construct his own cab-forward design, but found it too hard to meet government regulations. So he used the cab and front clip from a vehicle he had. Replacement parts and sheet metal for the 73 Chevy truck are widely available, another advantage.

The cab and front sheet metal are protected by a roll cage. The cage is unusual in that it has sliding links that allow the truck chassis to twist without torquing the cage. The links are on either side of the windshield, and where the fender nerf bars meet the front bumper. Ray says he has had no problems with the camper hitting the cab roof.

Ray reports that the truck gets about 18 miles per gallon of fuel, whether you're driving at highway speed or off-road. The 36 gallon fuel tank gives a 600+ mile range.

The truck is set up with a full time 4x4 drive train. The front hubs unlock manually when you want the front wheels to freewheel.

Ray built the camper, too. It's composed of aluminum sheeting with a fiberglass outer skin. Storage space is in compartments in the floor of the camper, and in lockers outside. This keeps the center of gravity as low as possible.

The camper pop-top is raised manually by unlocking the top from inside and pushing up. When the top is raised, there is 78 inches of standing room. The floor of the camper is flat, allowing two to sleep without raising the top of the camper. It looks like there is only enough room inside the camper to sit up, rather than stand, when the pop top is down.

The camper amenities are pretty Spartan. The stove is a multi-fuel camping stove that runs on diesel. Ray sets it up on a table outside the camper. There is no built in toilet or shower. Ray uses a solar shower (black plastic bag that holds a couple of gallons of water) when needed.

However, the camper refrigerator is an Engel, powered by 12V DC or 110V AC.

The potable water tank holds 36 gallons. The camper has a pump and filter to allow water to be drawn from a stream some distance from the truck.

The camper has a back door that hinges upwards to provide some protection from rain. There is a passage from the truck cab into the camper as well. The cab and camper are linked by a rubber tube large enough for an adult to crawl through.

Included in the $18,500 asking price when the vehicle was first offered for sale was a military 3/4 ton trailer. The trailer has custom springs to match the ride height of the camper, and the wheels match those on the truck. The trailer is not enclosed, so it's useful for hauling gear of any size and shape.

Ray found inexpensive materials to construct his camper shell at Boeing. Boeing has a surplus store full of materials left over from building its jet aircraft, and prices are low. The sheet aluminum and insulation Ray used in the camper came from this source. The store is in Kent, WA.

All in all, a fascinating vehicle, constructed 12 years ago.

Chip Haven

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94